• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I need a Woolly Hat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilba
    started a topic Will I need a Woolly Hat?

Will I need a Woolly Hat?

Although I have answered 1000's of questions on the Q&A Site, it's my turn now!

We are off to the Fiords for the first time mid July, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen.

I note from the weather sites that July is the highest temperatures, but I can't get my head around the daytime onshore clothing.

Will it be Train Spotting attire, Woolly Hat, Anorak, Sandals and Socks, or T Shirt and Trainers?
    Last edited by Wilba; 21st May 2011, 04:32 PM. Reason: Because I'm stupid!

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks, saltash View Post
    We went to Norway twice this summer and had really good weather. The four crossings were flat calm as well so I am wondering whether we will risk it again. Saying that I would definately take some layers to put on as it can get cold with hanging mists in the fjiords which take some time to clear even on a nice day.
    What was your decision Wilba and was it the correct one?

Read all about it here.............http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie..._review_30466/

Leave a comment:

• Elsie's Mum
    replied
    Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
    Yep
    Even in the summer the evenings get chilly as you sail out of the fjords you will most likely want to spend a lot of time out on deck to take in the view

That photograph is just breathtaking. I really want to visit the fiords now.

Leave a comment:

• Edna , Cardiff
    replied
    When I went in July 2008, I needed wet weather gear as it rained every day on the cruise.
    EDNA

Leave a comment:

• hawks, saltash
    replied
    We went to Norway twice this summer and had really good weather. The four crossings were flat calm as well so I am wondering whether we will risk it again. Saying that I would definately take some layers to put on as it can get cold with hanging mists in the fjiords which take some time to clear even on a nice day.
    What was your decision Wilba and was it the correct one?

Leave a comment:

• Southwinds, South Devon
    replied
    The best advise...I was given was .. wear layers !! yes even a vest !! mornings can be very cold/fresh especially if you go ashore via Tenderas the water is frozen.. but by late morning you have stripped off a few layers !! and it can be quite hot in the afternoons but once the sun goes behind the hills at 3pm it gets cool again !!! so returning to the ship.. can be chilly...

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Thanks Grant ............I don't look good in shorts and a woolly hat!

Leave a comment:

• Grant, West Sussex
    replied

July last year in Geiranger on Queen Mary 2 - shorts weather!

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Thank You all for your advice, it was just about what I thought clothing wise, so I'm off to the GO Outdoors shop to see if they have any summer deals on woolly hats.

Leave a comment:

• mozart, London
    replied
    I am very glad you posed the question.Not that I am a woolly hat person or any hat for that matter but it is good to know what sort of weather to expect.

Leave a comment:

• Beatie, Hull
    replied
    Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
    With me it is an age thing,I have read through the mails 3 or 4 times and could not find any reference to the baltic,thought i was losing it,then read this one and find that the baltic had been deleted,please everyone stop messing with my mind.
    re weather ,did a 2 week trip fjords and iceland last june,wore nothing more than a short sleeved shirt,with a pakamac and hat in my back pack.

jim
    He He , sure glad I wasn't on that cruise

Leave a comment:

• jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    I knew I would be useless at asking questions, why I put Baltics I don't know, so I will edit the post accordingly.

Do you think it's an age thing?
    With me it is an age thing,I have read through the mails 3 or 4 times and could not find any reference to the baltic,thought i was losing it,then read this one and find that the baltic had been deleted,please everyone stop messing with my mind.
    re weather ,did a 2 week trip fjords and iceland last june,wore nothing more than a short sleeved shirt,with a pakamac and hat in my back pack.

jim

Leave a comment:

• Beatie, Hull
    replied
    Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
    Hi Wilba

I have been to Norway many times in the past mainly working, frequently on oil rigs out at sea, I have been there in June July and August for different years and just like the UK the weather is completely un predictable, one year it was roasting hot, others it never stopped raining for the 3 days I was there, and it was very chilly other times. I have even been in Spitsbergen in August and we had snow sun and rain, hot and cold in a short period of time. So take clothing for all conditions.
    Hi Wilba

If it's any help....which I very much doubt....today in St Petersburg it's 24c !

Leave a comment:

• PG of A, A
    replied
    Hi Wilba

I have been to Norway many times in the past mainly working, frequently on oil rigs out at sea, I have been there in June July and August for different years and just like the UK the weather is completely un predictable, one year it was roasting hot, others it never stopped raining for the 3 days I was there, and it was very chilly other times. I have even been in Spitsbergen in August and we had snow sun and rain, hot and cold in a short period of time. So take clothing for all conditions.

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    Although I have answered 1000's of questions on the Q&A Site, it's my turn now!

We are off to the Fiords for the first time mid July, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen.

I note from the weather sites that July is the highest temperatures, but I can't get my head around the daytime onshore clothing.

Will it be Train Spotting attire, Woolly Hat, Anorak, Sandals and Socks, or T Shirt and Trainers?

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
    Wilba, no you will not need a woolly hat.

The world will have ended before you cruise!
    Damn.......I forgot that!

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X