• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I need a Woolly Hat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I need a Woolly Hat?

Although I have answered 1000's of questions on the Q&A Site, it's my turn now!

We are off to the Fiords for the first time mid July, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen.

I note from the weather sites that July is the highest temperatures, but I can't get my head around the daytime onshore clothing.

Will it be Train Spotting attire, Woolly Hat, Anorak, Sandals and Socks, or T Shirt and Trainers?
    Last edited by Wilba; 21st May 2011, 04:32 PM. Reason: Because I'm stupid!
    Wilba

Like the UK you can get all four seasons in one day so you have to be prepared for anything. There will still be snow on the mountains in July. Bergen is reputed to be the wettest city in Europe. Get up early for the sail in to Geiranger as you sail through the fjord it gets narrower and the mountains either side get higher. About 4 miles from Geiranger on the port side you pass the Seven Sisters waterfalls cascading down from the top. Some photos here
    seven sisters waterfall - Google Search
    Google for more info
    Of course if you sleep in on the way in, you see it on the way out as it takes about 3 hours to get out of the fjord.
    Brian

Comment

What a silly questions Wilba, they don't call it the Baltics for no reason, but seriously I looked at mid July last year and Bergen offered 15 to 23 degrees C whilst a little warmer Stavanger came in at 13 to 25 C

Seems like T shirt and trainers with something warm tucked away just in case.

Bill
      Last edited by Bill Blyth, Dundee; 21st May 2011, 04:20 PM. Reason: clothing added
      Bill Byth
      sigpic
      Website

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        We are off to the Baltics for the first time mid July, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen.
        Actually, if you look on the map you are not going anywhere near the Baltic but to the Norwegian Fjords. I assume you knew that.
        Brian

Comment

Crikey Wilba, I was quite shocked to see that you had posted a question, given as you say, that you have answered thousands in the past couple of years.

As others have said, be prepared for any weather, although I don't think you will need your woolly hat. We wnet to the Baltics in June and the only place I felt really cold was in Helsinki-it was wet too. I was a bit miffed when OH said that I wouldn't need my warm jacket when we went ashore and then shivered for the day!
          Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
            Actually, if you look on the map you are not going anywhere near the Baltic but to the Norwegian Fjords. I assume you knew that.
            Brian
            I knew I would be useless at asking questions, why I put Baltics I don't know, so I will edit the post accordingly.

Do you think it's an age thing?
            Last edited by Wilba; 21st May 2011, 04:34 PM.
            Wilba

Comment

Woolly hat s'no good Wilba. It's got holes in it which let in the icy July cold. You'll need a fleecy hat [double insulated of course], shorts, T-shirt and fleece, trainers, socks [with full length over trousers and sandals packed in your rucksack]. Thick gloves, kagoule and a nip of brandy to fortify you.
              Actually I'd take a g&t if I were you, to be on the safe side. Pack a lemon too. The ice shouldn't be a problem if you come across any glaciers.

Comment

You are more likely to need a sun hat Wilba. We have had some lovely weather in Norway in both June and July. It can be a bit nippy on deck in the evening so Mrs Wilba will need a wrap of some sort. If you were venturing further north then the cold weather gear would be needed, but light layers and a waterproof sould do the trick. They say Norway is similar to Scotland regarding weather........... if you don't like it, wait ten minutes! Have a good trip. Judith

Comment

I had my 1st taste of a cruise in June to Bergen and Stavanger and it was like a summers day in Scotland t-shrts and trainers for a stroll round Bergen and a fleece just in case we didnt get any rain but that was obviously luck. I actually have a pic of me in just jeans and a vest top on the deck as we sailed into Bergen.
                  Hope the weather is as kind to you

Comment

Will it be Train Spotting attire, Woolly Hat, Anorak, Sandals and Socks
                    Wilba! No please, not under any circumstances

Comment

Seriously, I'd add a strong factor sun screen too. The air is so clear up there and the sun is deceptively strong.

Comment

Kagoules, fleeces, sun screen, those trousers you can buy that zip off halfway down to turn into shorts. An umbrella. In fact anything you can think of. Were you in the boy scouts?
                        If so, be prepared....
                        Have a great time.
                        sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Although I have answered 1000's of questions on the Q&A Site, it's my turn now!

We are off to the Fiords for the first time mid July, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen.

I note from the weather sites that July is the highest temperatures, but I can't get my head around the daytime onshore clothing.

Will it be Train Spotting attire, Woolly Hat, Anorak, Sandals and Socks, or T Shirt and Trainers?

Any of these Wilba. Was in Geiranger two weeks ago and only needed a light coat during daytime but have been to Fjords in August when a woolly had would be useful. Definately take anorak and fleece but hope the t shirts get most wear during the day. As scenery is so magnificent and nights will be light I guess you will be on deck rather than in the theatre in the evening and it can be very blustery so go prepared. We managed to escape the rain in Bergen again.

Comment

I knew I would be useless at asking questions, why I put Baltics I don't know, so I will edit the post accordingly.

Do you think it's an age thing?

You weren't entirely wrong Wilba as Norway it self is a Baltic State

Comment

Hi guys and Gals, Thank You so much for all your input, it's about what I expected, so I've got the hat, anorak, zip offs and sunscreen ready packed.

I also note that Norway is 'not cheap', although I doubt I will be purchasing anything other than coffee coloured or red coloured liquid.

Is there anything I've missed?
                              Wilba

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X