• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with "Victoriana"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with "Victoriana"?

Just off the queen Victoria which has a lovely theatre.
    On the final evening of the cruise, the troupe performed a show called "Victoriana" which I think is a homage to the ship and to the fact that Cunard is 175 years old.
    It was a very strange show, starting with christmas carols..in July and including "Fashion" by David Bowie...but the strangest bit appeared to be a wedding of ghosts and ghouls, a bit Addams family.
    Was this supposed to be an exerpt from Tim Burton's "Ghost Bride"?

The performers were very good and I think that Cunard were trying to do something unique instead of buying a packeged show, but it seemed to leave a lot of people bemused.

Originally posted by liauq, w mids View Post
    Just off the queen Victoria which has a lovely theatre.
    On the final evening of the cruise, the troupe performed a show called "Victoriana" which I think is a homage to the ship and to the fact that Cunard is 175 years old.
    It was a very strange show, starting with christmas carols..in July and including "Fashion" by David Bowie...but the strangest bit appeared to be a wedding of ghosts and ghouls, a bit Addams family.
    Was this supposed to be an exerpt from Tim Burton's "Ghost Bride"?

The performers were very good and I think that Cunard were trying to do something unique instead of buying a packeged show, but it seemed to leave a lot of people bemused.
    This show has been around for quite a few years liauq.
    It's 'homage' to the Victorian music halls and I suppose the fact it's Victoriana performed on Victoria gives it a link.
    Nothing to do with the 175th celebrations though.

Did you enjoy my favourite ship?

Comment

Hi,Mrs M.; the ship was very nice..particularly liked the Commodore Club in the evening and the theatre was lovely.Our balcony cabin was very goodand well-maintained although the shower was a bit basic.

The Britannia restaurant was a pleasant venue, the food could be very good to average.I was not particularly pleased at the wine-waitress trying to upsale my wine and one waiter made some strange remarks about money.The lido buffet was pleasant at lunchtime but the one evening that we tried the food was lukewarm and not very good...we'd had "afternoon tea" (order speciality tea and you get a proper pot) in the Queen's Room and didn't want a full meal.
      Best bit; very comfortable beds and pillows!

Is it the "ghost bride" by Tim Burton?; felt that the performing troupe could have done much more than they were given.

One thing that fascinated me was the love of ballroom dancing by the far-eastern clientele on board.

Slightly disappointed to be met with a notice of change-of-port as soon as we entered our state room from La Spezia to Livorno; apparently Cunard had known about this enough in advance to tell some late-bookers but not everyone else!The overall impression given was that because this was only a "gateway" port to excursions booked through Cunard, it didn't matter...(having said this, Azamara did something similar to us as well!).

Overall; would probably give Cunard the edge over other medium sized ships I've been on, although I'm happy to say that I've enjoyed every cruise that I've had so far, touch wood.

Comment

I have no idea about the Ghost Bride. Not seen it.

Glad your overall take is positive.

Comment

We are on the Victoria next month. Anyone know if the shows have been changed or are they still the same ones?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X