• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth paying for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnR, Chippenham
    started a topic Is it worth paying for?

Is it worth paying for?

We are planning a 14 day back-to-back transatlantic on QM2 next year.

Is it worth paying extra for a balcony when all but a couple of hours at each end is endless sea?

Comments please.

• JohnR, Chippenham
    replied
    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. It sounds as though the extra cost of a balcony is probably not value for money. Will see what the prices are when it comes time to book.

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    We did a repositioning cruise on the eclipse a few years ago from Southampton which took in NYC, Boston, Bermuda and Port Canaveral. We didn’t use the balcony till we arrived in Bermuda. So my answer to you is don’t bother unless there’s only a few £’s difference. You will want to be on deck for sail in/away as you can see so much more.

Leave a comment:

• mike, lanarkshire
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

There are a few options that are more than just 6/7 days at sea.
    Also good solo rates are more common you might find she is more keen if you say you are going on your own if she won't go.
    It’s tempting but she would divorce me if I went on my own 😊

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    How often when ALL the outside decks are closed is there a no opening of the balconies?
    I've been in the situation where decks have been closed and it's been impossible to open our balcony door [starboard] but port doors had no problem with the wind direction. Visa versa. The only time our balconies have ever been out of action, officially, has been during helicopter medivacs and pirate drill.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    How often when ALL the outside decks are closed is there a no opening of the balconies?

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    We have done several TAs although none on Cunard. Unlike others, it is a cruise that I would choose a balcony if the price was reasonable. The number of sea days makes a balcony worth while for me, even if it is a bit chilly. I enjoy reading my book snuggled up in a blanket with peace and quiet instead of up on the pool deck. It all comes down to cost for me though. We have done TAs in April, May, October and November and it has never been too cold to be outside. Remember to choose a balcony on the sunny side of the ship, ie. the one facing the equator.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    The real question is why are you doing a B2B on QM2.

The answer to that should guide if a balcony is worth bothering with.

Leave a comment:

• alandrover, beccles
    replied
    I haven't done a TA yet [one booked this year!!!] but I would need a balcony, especially if the decks were closed. I have only been in an outside once and wouldn't do it again, felt slightly claustrophobic and missed a bit if fresh air. I certainly couldn't have an inside now after the outside experience. However, only you can decide whether it would enhance your holiday or not.

Leave a comment:

• cymrucruiser
    replied
    I’d have to go balcony on a TA. The thought of not being able to breathe in any fresh air if the weather was poor and access to the open decks was not allowed, would make me and more so my husband, feel very claustrophobic.

id need the balcony for fresh air.

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    Hi, I had a sheltered balcony in December on Queen Mary when we travelled back from New York, and we hardly used it. We only went out there to see how hard it was to open the door, it really wasn't worth it. Besides there was so much going on, I didn't get time to spend hardly any time in the cabin at all.

Perhaps spend the extra on a larger inside or outside........................................... .............Carol

Leave a comment:

• morris, st. columb
    replied
    We did a 15 night TA on QM2 in June 2017 and the weather was mostly inclement so IMO the cost of a balcony would have been wasted! We were fine in an inside cabin as there are places to sit inside and out for fresh air and a sea view !!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Having made a TA on Victoria, twice [balcony] and also sailed Mary on a couple of shorties, in an inside which I thoroughly enjoyed and also a balcony, both as a solo traveller, I would say let your purse strings guide you.

The northern route we took was windy and cool for the most part but the southern route was warm until we left The Azores. Assuming the northern route will be the option taken, then it's down to your purse and preference for immediate access to fresh air for two weeks without having to go on deck.

Personally, I wouldn't go without personal fresh air access for two weeks but then I wouldn't go without a balcony for anything longer than a few days.

I haven't stayed in a sheltered balcony but think they could be a good fresh air option on a Transatlantic if the weather is cool or windy. If you want to sunbathe, then go up on deck.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Sailor, London
    replied
    Hi John

A sheltered balcony is not as good as the higher up glass fronted balconies on the QM2. I have travelled in both (glass fronted on the TA) and sheltered on a weekender. I believe that the sheltered balconies on the TA are not user friendly due to the amount of spray that might come onto the balcony in bad weather. If the weather is bad , they might close the decks (which did happened to us), so a glass fronted balcony is great if you want a bit of peace and quite looking out from the sofa through the glass. The QM2 can get quite crowded in the public areas if the decks are closed. Whether you will get to use the balcony very much on the TA is really weather dependent and how hardy you are / or how long you want to stay out for. I don't think you get the same views or relaxing time when in a outside stateroom.

If you have the money, enjoy a glass fronted balcony. IMO, you can't beat them .

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

Is it worth paying extra for a balcony when all but a couple of hours at each end is endless sea?

Comments please.
    Hi John, Definitely NOT.

It is s always VERY windy and cold (even in summer) on a Trans and you will not use a balcony much, if at all! The QM2 'Hull Holes' (lower grade, sheltered balconies) are not good for sunbathing anyway.

An ocean-view is fine. Save your money for the bar or your next cruise.

Sheltered balcony picture: http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/nasemy5a.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 20th January 2019, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X