• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth paying for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth paying for?

We are planning a 14 day back-to-back transatlantic on QM2 next year.

Is it worth paying extra for a balcony when all but a couple of hours at each end is endless sea?

Comments please.

Well I certainly wouldn't because I prefer to be up on deck, especially when sailing out of or into harbour.
    Jill

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      We are planning a 14 day back-to-back transatlantic on QM2 next year.

Is it worth paying extra for a balcony when all but a couple of hours at each end is endless sea?

Comments please.
      I recall Malcolm has previously posted - No.

Annie

Comment

We have only sailed across the Atlantic once, that was on P&O Adonia.. We did have a balcony, we only booked one as that is the grade we book, or at least we did until our recent experience on Fred in an inside cabin which I am sure everyone must be getting tired of hearing about by now. But it was such a revelation to us that we don't need a balcony, or even a cabin with lots of space, nice to have but not essential for an enjoyable cruise. So, to answer your question, I wouldn't bother, especially if there is a big difference in price.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
          We have only sailed across the Atlantic once, that was on P&O Adonia.. We did have a balcony, we only booked one as that is the grade we book, or at least we did until our recent experience on Fred in an inside cabin which I am sure everyone must be getting tired of hearing about by now. But it was such a revelation to us that we don't need a balcony, or even a cabin with lots of space, nice to have but not essential for an enjoyable cruise. So, to answer your question, I wouldn't bother, especially if there is a big difference in price.
          Hear or read quite often from passengers saying they would never consider an inside, but have never tried it. Myself I have no issues with an inside and as we hardly spend any time in the cabin a balcony was wasted on us. For a transatlantic both times we have been in an inside, and spent most of the time on deck. Sea days usually have lots of activities on around the ship.
          Another advantage of an inside is it gives you a lot more choices when booking so you can leave it much later to get a deal
          Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 20th January 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
            Agree on insides.

On some cruises, balcony rates can be double that of an inside cabin.

It is not rocket science - JMO.

Annie

Comment

I’ve never been on a transatlantic and I would love to give it a go but my wife isn’t keen. Looks like my bucket list won’t have a tick against that entry 😥

Comment

Depends on a few factors for us size of cabin and cost then location.

Some ships the balcony cabins are bigger so worth a bit more.
                Some balcony locations can be unusable when the ship is doing 20knt and it is windy(proper aft are OK)

We have had a balcony that was too hot to use most of the time.

​​​​​​QM2 probably would not bother unless only a tiny bit more.
                Would focus on location to be handy to the things that will be used most.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                  I’ve never been on a transatlantic and I would love to give it a go but my wife isn’t keen. Looks like my bucket list won’t have a tick against that entry 😥
                  There are a few options that are more than just 6/7 days at sea.
                  Also good solo rates are more common you might find she is more keen if you say you are going on your own if she won't go.

Comment

I have always enjoyed balconies on Transatlantic cruises, and I have done many, but QM is different in that many of the balconies are high sided solid metal because QM is an Ocean Liner not a cruise ship and therefore equipped for any type of ocean weather. The higher deck balconies are normal style but these are more pricey.

I suggest you look at some of the web sites with deck plans and pictures before making your decision.

You pays your money you makes your choice. .....Neil

Comment

Unless you get a really good deal for a balcony, I would save your money for other treats and book inside or ocean view.

One of our favourite things to do on a QM2 transatlantic is walking around her wonderful prom deck and you can't walk far on a balcony so spend your time on the open decks
                      BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

Comments please.
                        Hi John, Definitely NOT.

It is s always VERY windy and cold (even in summer) on a Trans and you will not use a balcony much, if at all! The QM2 'Hull Holes' (lower grade, sheltered balconies) are not good for sunbathing anyway.

An ocean-view is fine. Save your money for the bar or your next cruise.

Sheltered balcony picture: http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/nasemy5a.jpg
                        Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 20th January 2019, 12:31 PM.
                        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Hi John

A sheltered balcony is not as good as the higher up glass fronted balconies on the QM2. I have travelled in both (glass fronted on the TA) and sheltered on a weekender. I believe that the sheltered balconies on the TA are not user friendly due to the amount of spray that might come onto the balcony in bad weather. If the weather is bad , they might close the decks (which did happened to us), so a glass fronted balcony is great if you want a bit of peace and quite looking out from the sofa through the glass. The QM2 can get quite crowded in the public areas if the decks are closed. Whether you will get to use the balcony very much on the TA is really weather dependent and how hardy you are / or how long you want to stay out for. I don't think you get the same views or relaxing time when in a outside stateroom.

If you have the money, enjoy a glass fronted balcony. IMO, you can't beat them .

Comment

Having made a TA on Victoria, twice [balcony] and also sailed Mary on a couple of shorties, in an inside which I thoroughly enjoyed and also a balcony, both as a solo traveller, I would say let your purse strings guide you.

The northern route we took was windy and cool for the most part but the southern route was warm until we left The Azores. Assuming the northern route will be the option taken, then it's down to your purse and preference for immediate access to fresh air for two weeks without having to go on deck.

Personally, I wouldn't go without personal fresh air access for two weeks but then I wouldn't go without a balcony for anything longer than a few days.

I haven't stayed in a sheltered balcony but think they could be a good fresh air option on a Transatlantic if the weather is cool or windy. If you want to sunbathe, then go up on deck.

Comment

We did a 15 night TA on QM2 in June 2017 and the weather was mostly inclement so IMO the cost of a balcony would have been wasted! We were fine in an inside cabin as there are places to sit inside and out for fresh air and a sea view !!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X