• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some 120 jobs axed as Costa Cruises to Europe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some 120 jobs axed as Costa Cruises to Europe

Costa Cruises has announced it is to axe some 120 jobs at its US arm as the company sets its sights on Europe.

In a bid to reposition itself away from the dominant American players, the firm wishes to focus primarily on its central operations in Italy where it can capitalise on the booming European market, according to a report in the Sun Sentinel.

Maurice Zarmati, Costa's president and chief executive of North America, told the news provider that the Caribbean had become "saturated" by American operators.

"We didn't have the kind of yields in the Caribbean that met the company's goal objectives," he added.

However, Mr Zarmati remained confident that the company is positioned to become the third largest cruise operator in the world, following the imminent launch of two new vessels by 2012.

Other cruise operators are also increasingly looking to the European market, which is poised for huge expansion this year.

Just yesterday Princess Cruises unveiled what it coined it's "biggest ever expansion" into Europe.

When the 2011 cruises season hits, the company will possess a seven-strong fleet to be deployed on 43 individual itineraries.

Perhaps I'm cynical - but could it be something to do with Americans NOT tolerating crappy surly service and voting with their feet?

Comment

[QUOTE=Cruise News, cruise.co.uk;40229]

"We didn't have the kind of yields in the Caribbean that met the company's goal objectives," he added.

Which means in layman's terms, "We can screw the Europeans for higher prices than we can get from the Americans".

Comment

Have never cruised Costa; I Have been watching the fly on the wall documentary "Cruise Ship Diaries" Charting a season onboard Costa Serena, and I know you should take these things with a bucket of salt, but nothing I have seen would make me say "YES that's the cruise experience I am looking for".

Quaysider you make a good point; there may be no space left in the US / Caribbean market for their style of cruise. I think Costa's main competition is Thomson and MSC in the Med.......
        sigpic
        Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
        Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
        Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
        Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Comment

Originally posted by grantthomas, Emsworth View Post
          Have never cruised Costa; I Have been watching the fly on the wall documentary "Cruise Ship Diaries" Charting a season onboard Costa Serena, and I know you should take these things with a bucket of salt, but nothing I have seen would make me say "YES that's the cruise experience I am looking for".

Quaysider you make a good point; there may be no space left in the US / Caribbean market for their style of cruise. I think Costa's main competition is Thomson and MSC in the Med.......

I think Thomson's are pretty safe... the (and I say this kindly) "institutionalized" Thomson crowd would not be able to cope :D

Comment

addendum: and there's nothing wrong with finding something you like and sticking with it!

Comment

After 23 Costa cruises I say don't knock it till you have tried it.

Seen all the complaints from the one time Costa cruisers and I'm not impressed. Seems like 95% of them did not realise it was going to have Italians. French, Dutch & Germans on board, not booze cruise Brits who moan because another language was spoken before they could understand the announcements.

In general its great food, good steady entertainment, and certainly better ships than P&O, Princess and indeed Thomson.
              And yes have sailed on them all and rate each cruise as I find it not as a way to complain.

And again yes Thomson are great and the Dream is our next cruise after one on RC.
              Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

[QUOTE=Hampshire Thorn, Fareham;40239]
                Originally posted by Cruise News, cruise.co.uk View Post

Which means in layman's terms, "We can screw the Europeans for higher prices than we can get from the Americans".
                Hi
                I believe Americans get cheaper prices in Caribbean because it is saturated.
                When the Med gets similarly saturated i believe prices will come down here.
                Its called competition or so the bankers/financiers tell me, or the law of supply + demand.

JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I agree with tenpin, don't knock it till you have tried it.

Perhaps Costa are pulling out because Carnival think they already have a big enough market, in the caribbean and Costa is more suited to the newer itinerarys, sounds to me like a good company move, knowing who you are marketing your product to.

Jane

Comment

having sailed with Costa I would recommend them, why would I want to sail on Thomsons NEW ship, when I can sail cheaper on a brand new ship with balcony cheaper.

Would never sail Thomsons again very expensive product for very old shabby ships.

Comment

I'm not surprised at all. I did my first Costa last month and didn't have a huge problem with having to hear announcements in 5 languages - living in Europe (or on the edges of it here in the UK) we're used to travelling in Europe and hearing other languages. Most Americans have never travelled and will never travel outside their borders and the only other language they get to hear is Spanish and I suspect they wouldn't have the patience to put up with it. They expect better food than what I experienced on Deliziosa, too I know I do. I would only go with them again if I got a really cheap deal with an itinerary that I wanted. Costa's definitely bottom of my list of favourite cruise lines.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X