• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Costa deal with mutiny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Costa deal with mutiny

Just seen this.

Frenchman thrown off Costa Cruise liner in Indian Ocean after leading 'mutiny' over cancelled stops

Cheers

Tony B

I think that only crew could be acused of mutiny, passengers could be accused of civil disturbance,

Comment

Seems fair enough to me. If I had been the Captain I'd have kicked him off whether the ship was in port or not.

We all know the T's & C's regarding missed ports and I'm sure we have all experienced disappointments. Making feelings known is one thing, but setting oneself up as shop steward was going about things the wrong way.

Had he had written to the head office with evidence that other ships had ported there that day, or adjacent days he might have had a case to answer.

Of course that all depends on whether other ships did actually port there in recent days............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

One of the complains was that Costa had known about the issue that resulted in the cancelled docking for months and not informed passengers.

As many passengers would have booked in a region covered by the Package holiday regulations with the rights to cancel if there are major changes you could understand why Costa may prefer not to notify of any changes before embarkation after which the rules change.
        Last edited by Topdeck, London; 12th November 2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I suppose "Banging our fist's on the Table" to alert other passengers to the con ,was not acceptable, in any circumstances .
          There are way's to complain and that is not one of them.
          These things do happen on any holiday but are worse on a cruise when port's are cancelled ,but I would rather be "Jailed on a ship" than spent time in a foreign Hospital...Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

I understand the the plague is now spreading through east Africa, so the decision to miss the ports was absolutely correct.
            2018-
            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Wasn't there someone on a few weeks ago trying to cancel her FO cruise due to plague on Madagascar. The fact that other cruiselines are now cancelling the port may lend her ammunition in her argument.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                Wasn't there someone on a few weeks ago trying to cancel her FO cruise due to plague on Madagascar. The fact that other cruiselines are now cancelling the port may lend her ammunition in her argument.
                This is totally out of any cruise ship's control. As far as I'm aware, our foreign office hasn't issued any no go advice and it will depend on the cruise line's t&c and possibly, goodwill.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                  Hi Andy
                  You beat me to it,,and that person was castigated for her complaint on here.

I'll give you another example of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds on this forum.

A few years ago a member Maggiemou reported from a WC on a P&O ship of a near 'mutiny' by over 400 passengers because P&O cancelled two ports of call,Maggie was one of the 'mutineers',,,meetings were held in the public room,voices raised,compo demanded from the Captain..........
                  Oh how the members supported Maggie and the 400.

Should the Captain have called the police and had the 400 turfed of the World Cruise.
                  I can't recall anyone at the time on this forum suggesting that.

JC
                  Last edited by jc, liverpool; 12th November 2017, 04:36 PM.
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I made no comments when I posted this link because I was unsure of why it had attracted my interest. Having read the posts I would like to add a thought to the thread.

We often read about the relationship between PR and customer service, and I believe that is at the root of this report.

I, like many others on the forum. have experienced port changes on a few cruises and sometimes been bothered and sometimes just shrug my shoulders and get on with my holiday. I these rare cases the one constant has been the communication from the Company (on pre-cruise notifications) or the Captain explaining the reason and the alternative action. That usually is sufficient for passengers to at least accept their lot, and a small gesture of goodwill will often get positive PR (You tell your friends).

In this case it seems to have got out of hand and the Captain obviously came from the Schettino school of how not to do it.

If the discontent had been identified early and the captain had offered a small compensation to all passengers the whole issue would not have occurred. It could have been as simple as a credit voucher for on-board spend or as imaginative as a ship-wide treasure hunt for a free cruise.

Instead Costa now have another negative PR incident that may go away, but as we all know on a slow news day these stories get re-started and grow.

So how would you have handled it - dare I suggest it as a task for the apprentices ?

Cheers

Tony B
                    Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 12th November 2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Thought that was exactly what they did, £150 each, looks like the small compensation was not enough for some.

Comment

Can never understand the mentality of some people few year back we were unable to get into Lisbon due to storm the ship was doing 1 knot per hour in very high seas and yet some were complaining we were in the storm for three days and some were still at it about not getting into Lisbon

Comment

In 2008 we were on the Ventura in the Caribbean , the ship was new and there were 3 ports we didn't go to Tortola Grand Turk and St Kitts , Captain said it was too dangerous to go in to these ports , Many people said that he was just afraid that he would damage the ship with it being new , there was never any talk of compensation , we just thought well he is the Captain and he knows best , disappointing but just one of those things , have missed ports on other cruises too.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi Andy
                            You beat me to it,,and that person was castigated for her complaint on here.

I'll give you another example of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds on this forum.

A few years ago a member Maggiemou reported from a WC on a P&O ship of a near 'mutiny' by over 400 passengers because P&O cancelled two ports of call,Maggie was one of the 'mutineers',,,meetings were held in the public room,voices raised,compo demanded from the Captain..........
                            Oh how the members supported Maggie and the 400.

Should the Captain have called the police and had the 400 turfed of the World Cruise.
                            I can't recall anyone at the time on this forum suggesting that.

JC

I don't run or hunt but I'd have been very happy with the Costa decision.

Comment

The closest we ever came to docking was at Heraklion (Crete) where we could have hit the waiting coaches with a cricket ball. After trying against the wind for about 15 minutes the ship simply left the port and we had an extra sea day. At the time I was bemused how a modern ship with engine power to travel at 20+ knots couldn't fight a bit of wind, but I have been to Heraklion before so no big deal.

I have since bought a narrowboat and I am amazed at how even a relatively low breeze makes it an absolute pig to handle when stopping at the canalside. Well done to the captain for both getting as close as he did and having the nerve to make the decision not to risk the ship.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X