• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ten Euros a day for a cuppa.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
    Where on earth are you all getting these cheap cruises ideas from?
    A person on another thread just proved by selective pricing of itineraries and offers that a Med cruise could be bought at half the price of a similar Saga cruise. Others seem to support his ideas (not me).

There are cheap cruises around in popular destinations where cabins are hard to fill, but true like for like pricing cruises are very similar in price, especially with Cunard, P&O and Fred Olsen. It hinges more on the type of ship you prefer.

Comment

Tenpin

I have sailed 4 different cruise lines (all American) and charging for room service for breakfast is NOT Industry Standard.

Annie

Comment

... charging for room service for breakfast is NOT Industry Standard

Annie, thank goodness someone finally had the sense to actually reply to Tenpin's question, instead of dragging in irrelevant issues!!!

I'm sure Costa would like people to think this was true, or just hope they won't check - luckily most folks on here are better informed than that ....

Cheers,
        Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Derby, Derby View Post
          ... charging for room service for breakfast is NOT Industry Standard

Annie, thank goodness someone finally had the sense to actually reply to Tenpin's question, instead of dragging in irrelevant issues!!!

I'm sure Costa would like people to think this was true, or just hope they won't check - luckily most folks on here are better informed than that ....

Cheers,
          Lynn
          Lynn - I had already replied but I feared my earlier post had got lost. Costa IMHO are at it

Comment

Originally posted by segedunum, Tyneside View Post
            I've not encountered any cabin service charges either, only restricted service hour occasionally
            It is not often that we agree segedunum so thank you for giving me an answer on the question raised.

I like you do not understand why people knock lines like Saga, only ever done one with them but it was indeed a good all inclusive cruise, and overall no dearer than most other lines after we had added our drinks bill and tours.

And from what I understand nobody is forced into cruising, unless you know different.
            Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Cruise P&O and have as much free tea and coffee in your room day or night as you wish.

Comment

Well Tenpin, nice to see you reminding lots of people about the original question! By the looks of it you'll have a jolly useful knowledge database when you've finished, re these charges, and can publish the overall results for general benefit. I doubt Costa are aware of 'industry standards', it's just a phrase to trot out and try to justify their position. As quite a few have said, there are plenty lines who don't agree with Costa. Also, it's funny how quite a few people think Costa is a cheap option - whilst they do have a few cruises that look like bargains, a whole lot more are anything but, so do the research.

As for the person this time (IoM?) who mentioned Saga as having all the built-in benefits, I repeat, you've paid vastly, hugely more in the first place, so you certainly need to get something in return. My research shows that a Saga passenger generally pays from maybe £800 to £1500 extra, so that's a lot of travel, insurance and refreshments to pay up front for. And of course quite a few lines have comp tea & coffee.

PS Re Travel kettle, we've taken one where necessary on cruises. As some ships provide the facilities in cabin, it would appear that "Ts&Cs" of the likes of Costa are just designed to shake those extra pennies from the wallet.

Comment

Hi Tony thanks for the apology.

I have no problem with the cost of cruises or even the cost of a pot of tea in the morning. I raised a point after writting to Costa three times. and finally getting a reply.( See other Thread ) We enjoy between four and five cruises per year. maybe one with Costa, two with HAL and usually one with Princess or Celebrity sometimes P&O, We do have inside knowledge of other lines and your intake of a Saga cruise is really comical, perhaps you should try some other lines.

The question raised was to see if others had recently seen the introduction of breakfast room charges since MARCH when we last sailed with Costa, I know Princess have not yet brought them in as we were on three weeks ago, and was waiting for a reply of a letter to Costa.

Also I am aware of others members points of view on the various lines, and perhaps have a little more understanding as to their choices, without resorting to silly remarks about those choices.
                  Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Hi Tenpin

YOUR turn to read things properly perhaps - as I stated the other day, we've tried a wide variety of lines, not yet the same one twice.

As for 'intake of a Saga cruise', I've never had one, never been on one, and never tried to describe one (your 'must be accurate' pose is really falling apart?!) - the only thing I've pointed out re Saga is the massive price surcharge you're required to pay to get things 'for free', which by every comparison I've done (& I've made quite a few since sadly qualifying for their services a few years ago!) leaves Saga with a decent surplus in their favour.

Comment

Originally posted by David Witton, Clacton on Sea View Post
                      I hate using room service, even if it is free. You wait around, not wanting to get changed or visit the bathroom, as you can be sure that is when it will arrive. If all cruises include tea and coffee facilaties, like even the most basic hotels, this would avoid the need for most room service.
                      David in the UK it's true most hotels, even the most basic, do provide tea/coffee facilities. However, in the rest of Europe very, very few hotels provide them. We've traveled all over Europe and hardly ever found a kettle in our room.

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
                      Hi Bill,
                      My reply to your post is the same as my reply to Richards post (21) it is a shame that members seem incapable of giving a straight answer without the need to have a dig at the poster.

Quote from post #21
                      I hardly think our last three cruises were cheap however that again does not answer the OP question.

Costa do not charge for room service apart (after 10pm a charge is made) from the new BREAKFAST menu charges which up untill March this year were free.

Have tried most of the lines you mention and they were okay, not great, but okay. The overall prices worked out roughly the same before the introdution of the E5pppd on Costa which at the moment we are enjoying. This does not mean we do not cruise with other lines or indeed think they are a cheap option.
                      I've just returned from a holiday (not a cruise though) so maybe I'm being rather dumb. Am I right in understanding that Room Service is free during the day and the charge is just for breakfast. And that you can't just order a cup of tea/coffee but have to get the whole breakfast.

Originally posted by Tony, Abingdon View Post
                      Well Tenpin, nice to see you reminding lots of people about the original question! By the looks of it you'll have a jolly useful knowledge database when you've finished, re these charges, and can publish the overall results for general benefit. I doubt Costa are aware of 'industry standards', it's just a phrase to trot out and try to justify their position. As quite a few have said, there are plenty lines who don't agree with Costa. Also, it's funny how quite a few people think Costa is a cheap option - whilst they do have a few cruises that look like bargains, a whole lot more are anything but, so do the research.

As for the person this time (IoM?) who mentioned Saga as having all the built-in benefits, I repeat, you've paid vastly, hugely more in the first place, so you certainly need to get something in return. My research shows that a Saga passenger generally pays from maybe £800 to £1500 extra, so that's a lot of travel, insurance and refreshments to pay up front for. And of course quite a few lines have comp tea & coffee.

PS Re Travel kettle, we've taken one where necessary on cruises. As some ships provide the facilities in cabin, it would appear that "Ts&Cs" of the likes of Costa are just designed to shake those extra pennies from the wallet.
                      If other lines follow Costa with these charges, I'm sure quite a few passengers will do likewise which might prove to be a security hazard.

Comment

Costa have recently introduced a standard room service charge for breakfast but.. firstly they have upgraded the menu and secondly they now have standard and premium staterooms, premium do not pay the room service charges.
                        Have just booked a 7 nighter on Fascinosa around Adriatic, price was very keen for a premium balcony stateroom and an adults drinks package inc wine, cocktails, beers etc at £119 for the7 days isn't fleecing the customer in my eyes.
                        We have cruised with RCI, Cunard, NCL, Celebrity and Costa, all have their good and bad points but Costa in my opinion offer an excellent overall package.

Comment

what a rip off, go into any cafe round the med and coffee's all seem to be priced at one euro. passengers should boycot such a rip off.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X