• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ten Euros a day for a cuppa.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ten Euros a day for a cuppa.

Just had a reply back from Costa about the exorbitant charge of five Euros per person for a early morning breakfast cup of tea/coffee after the third time of writing.

The reply goes like this;

The onboard charges for using the breakfast menu "quote The onboard charges are in line with industry standards" although your comments were passed onto our Hotel Director.

Please can members help and let me know if you have heard of any other cruise line that charges five Euros/dollars p.p.p.d.or more for breakfast not including any tip that we might give.

The other small problems have been dealt with to my satisfaction.
    Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Good grief !! I'm not a mean person but I certainly wouldn't pay that you sort of expect these things to be included although I've never sailed with Costa I just assumed they would be.
    Jo

Comment

Royal Caribbean have introduced a Late Night Room Service charge from Midnight until 05.00am.

I believe it is $3.95..........Not too bad, but with the amount of food on offer, it's hard to justify why someone needs to feed their face during those hours.

As for paying €5 for a tea or coffee!!!!!!........I wouldn't pay that amount wherever I was in the world.........Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Not that I am agreeing with Costa's charges. The charge is €5.00 pp for room service breakfast. If you just choose to have tea and coffee that is your business.

We never used room service until last cruise as it was easier now that we have Mai. Is €5 worth the convenience - jury is out for me on that one! It would if you could get the full english etc but MSC do continental and it certainly was not worth that.

Thing is I think more of the lines will follow suit as time moves on! Good thing - it is an avoidable charge!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
          Royal Caribbean have introduced a Late Night Room Service charge from Midnight until 05.00am.

I believe it is $3.95..........Not too bad, but with the amount of food on offer, it's hard to justify why someone needs to feed their face during those hours.

As for paying €5 for a tea or coffee!!!!!!........I wouldn't pay that amount wherever I was in the world.........Wilba

Cannot figure that one out either but clearly there is a demand - perhaps its those that stay in bed all day and up all night! What a waste of a cruise - I think!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I understand that Royal Caribbean introduced the Late charge in light of the amount of food ordered and wasted by people leaving the late night disco.

Does the 5 Euro charge apply to all room service orders?? Is it pp or per cabin??

Annie

Comment

Apparently on Royal Caribbean there has been people ordering late night pizzas delivered to their cabin then just left uneaten.5 Euros for a cuppa,I have heard of a more expensive cup served on the Piazza in St Marks Venice.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                I understand that Royal Caribbean introduced the Late charge in light of the amount of food ordered and wasted by people leaving the late night disco.

Does the 5 Euro charge apply to all room service orders?? Is it pp or per cabin??

Annie
                A little bit of research on another cruise site:

5 Euros for cabin service breakfast
                2 Euros for room service

I'll pass - I always have room service for breakfast.

Annie

Comment

This is not for after breakfast Room Service which we have often had (for just the tip) during the day when using the balcony.

But for the standard morning breakfast menu, with just two added choices of Eggs Benedict or boiled egg, all the other choices are exactly like before this charge was brought in.

Yes I agree that because we mainly want a tea or coffee, we could use the buffet, but both my wife & myself take our medication with a hot drink first thing before eating.

I have no objection to paying for the usual room service during the day should we use it, but on all the lines we have been on we have never been charged for the Continental breakfast or even just a couple of Euro's each.

The point of this thread is the statement from Costa that this a normal charge on all lines.
                  Cruising is like;

Comment

Tenpin

I agree it is not a standard charge on the cruise lines I have sailed.

Annie

Comment

What I cannot understand is why passengers moan about 'extra' charges when they choose the cheaper cruise lines.

These companies have to make a profit. Do they really expect them to be charities.

The old adage really comes into force, 'you get what you pay for'.

And I'm paying for the curry tonight so I'd better get a wiggle on. LOL

Comment

I never cruise now without my travel kettle and jar of nescafe - although coffe sachets and teabags are usually easy to obtain from the buffet.

Comment

Take a travel kettle!

Comment

Costa from what I know is simply taking advantage of charging you for every item they can and people should look into what the fare includes or does not include prior to booking.

We have cruised mainly on Celebrity, Princess and Holland America and except for us adding a tip for room service of our breakfast we have never been charged for our meals ordered in the normal hours. It is an extension of the Buffet or the MDR and all these lines pride themselves on providing the option of breakfast in your room. A limited extension per the order sheet you place the night before but a proper breakfast of fruit, eggs, muffins, tea, coffee, juice and cereals
                            Course we paid extra when we ordered the special Champagne Breakfast to celebrate or liquour or sodas for the room.
                            sigpicRob
                            Next Cruise:> QM2 2016 / My Blog robbarcruises.com

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                              What I cannot understand is why passengers moan about 'extra' charges when they choose the cheaper cruise lines.

These companies have to make a profit. Do they really expect them to be charities.

The old adage really comes into force, 'you get what you pay for'.

And I'm paying for the curry tonight so I'd better get a wiggle on. LOL
                              Hi Richard,
                              Many thanks for your most informed reply to my question, it really is nice when folk take the trouble to give a sensible answer, which in turn might help me reply to Costa.
                              Cruising is like;

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X