• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips requested regarding Far East Costa Classica Cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips requested regarding Far East Costa Classica Cruise

I have booked my family on a Costa FarEast Cruise. How have people managed the different currencies involved i.e. $Sdollars, Ringits and Bahtts. I can visualise myself getting in a pickle with all these currencies and having to decide how much to change on each day trip. Any tips as to how to handle this ? Are there things you are glad you did or regretted doing. Those who have been on a Costa cruise, how have you handled the on board spending, any tips regarding this.

Excursions ? With a family of 4 adults, I could not possibly pay the prices demanded on ship. Obviously it would be cheaper to hire a taxi. Any tips on this please. What excursions do you think it to be essential rather than taxi. What about tipping taxi drivers etc ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Roz

Hi

What are your ports of call ?

Comment

All on board spending was in US$ and to be honest we managed ashore with these also, you can buy small amounts of local currency on board this goes onto your cruise card.

Although we did ships tours and thought they were worth it, many passengers arranged local taxis and joined up to hire mini-buses. I would think that this would indeed need local currencies. Do Take a look on CC to see if there is a roll call, as these can be a good place to arrange 'doing it yourself.'
      The X1 package is only worth it if you are on board most lunch times otherwise drinks are expensive but controllable when mainly ashore. (if that makes sense)
      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Originally posted by avatar, Poole View Post
        I have booked my family on a Costa FarEast Cruise. How have people managed the different currencies involved i.e. $Sdollars, Ringits and Bahtts. I can visualise myself getting in a pickle with all these currencies and having to decide how much to change on each day trip. Any tips as to how to handle this ? Are there things you are glad you did or regretted doing. Those who have been on a Costa cruise, how have you handled the on board spending, any tips regarding this.

Excursions ? With a family of 4 adults, I could not possibly pay the prices demanded on ship. Obviously it would be cheaper to hire a taxi. Any tips on this please. What excursions do you think it to be essential rather than taxi. What about tipping taxi drivers etc ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Roz

I don't do Costa but I have done similar cruises with other lines. Onboard spending is cashless charged to your credit card at the end of cruise. Allow for fixed gratuities as these are mandatory on Costa and non removable. Your agent should have informed you of this.

Currency:

We take a very small amount for each country, any large purchases go on a Credit Card, any additional cash get from the Street Kiosks which usually give a better rate than banks and bureaus.

Any left over currency change at the next country port of call into local currency. Do that as you go along and you wont end up with piles of shrapnel at the end of cruise.

Taxi's, particularly at Phuket and Goa have limited access in the port. These cowboys will want to charge the earth and are only interested in tours.

Phuket:

Walk off the ship and head to the right of the buildings (sheds). You will see a little cafe/bar as you turn the corner, handy to pick up some refreshments, turn right at the next path and you will see the Guardhouse/barrier/exit. We are only talking a 4 or 500 yard walk. There will be dozens of taxi drivers yelling and screaming for your business. Haggle a price for where you wish to go, Patong is the beach/bar/resort area. Arrange a time for pickup and return and PAY them when you get back to the ship.

Goa:

The same applies, walk to the dock gates, don't even bother with the few marauding taxi drivers hanging around the ship!

You might glean more info from a review I wrote about 18 months ago.

Click on the link

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie..._review_13823/
        Wilba

Comment

Comment

I answered the X1 question on your other post.

If you require any further info about it or indeed Costa just ask, we have been with Costa many times
            Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X