• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costa Cruises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costa Cruises

I would be interested to hear the experiences of others with Costa Cruises. We have booked on The Costa Marina, to sail from Savona on 11th November. So far the whole experience has been one of stress and worry. Our tickets and travel information finally arrived two days ago, although Costa have been holding our fares since August, and this only occured after numerous telephone calls, they would have preferred to have sent them out on 8th November. We have found the Costa web site hopeless and are unable to log on to arrange drinks packages or book tours. This is my first experience of Cruising, and if things continue the way they are, it will certainly be my last, at least with Costa. If I had known back in August, when I made the booking, what an unpleasant experience this was going to be, I would have not proceeded. I wonder if other users of this site have had better experiences with Costa.

Last edited by Ewanme, Southampton; 6th November 2010, 10:15 AM.

Comment

As said above the drinks packages can only be booked by phone up to 7 days before departure, X1 is worth it the J1 only if you are heavy drinkers.

The Marina is Costas oldest ship and is now considered very small at 26.000 tones and just about 700 passengers. however we loved her size and enjoyed the close encounters with other passengers.
      You can only book tours when on board, and beware you may end up on a coach with other Nationalities, as there will be very few English on board.
      That said, she is a nice ship and we found the people on board very friendly, please don't judge Costa on this ship, their latest ships are awesome.

Hope you have a great cruise, and enjoy the POC on the Marina.
      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

X1 package

My wife and I had the X1 package on our last cruise, in the main dinning room the waiter bought a bottle of red and white wine and left them on the table for us to help ourselves, this happened for the whole cruise, 14 nights

Also about the tickets, they don't normally arrive until 7 days before you leave, so you should have received them around the 4/5th November.

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice, I just hope the cruise is better than their backup!
          Mike

Comment

On the Pacifica there was a host for English Speaking passengers. There are some 3000 (?) passengers and there were less than 200 English Speaking. So on the smaller ships I doubt there'll be an English host.
            There are many people who prefer the smaller ships as they are more intimate

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
              On the Pacifica there was a host for English Speaking passengers. There are some 3000 (?) passengers and there were less than 200 English Speaking. So on the smaller ships I doubt there'll be an English host.
              we went on costa atlantica from savonna,only very few english on board,so did not really cater for us,when english was spoken it was after 5 other european languages so it was very tiring trying not to get bored with any entertainment,but i blamed myself,i did not research cruise,always do now for evey trip,saying that love italians,but you will find it very hard to find another english speaking guest

Comment

Hi! Thanks for your response, language is not really a problem as we live in France, so suppose we are sort of Europeans! My main trouble has been in trying to contact Costa Cruises web site, no luck so far, but that is not unusual in our experience of Italy!
                Mike

Comment

we cruised on Costa Serena in 2008. she was a beautiful ship OTT decor but I loved it. the ship was spotless. the passengers were mainly Itallian and Spanish so when you are in the buffet or any queue just remember they don't 'do' queues. so elbows out and just go with the flow. :D we bought the X1 package ie wine, bottled beer, bottled water and cans of fizzy juice which are unlimited at any venue that is serving food at the time. we found it great value. you get 6 courses in the evening in the MDR. pasta being the extra course. they do not serve tea/coffee after meals but if you ask for it they will bring it. to buy the X1 package you can either get your TA to phone Costa or you can phone them direct but you have to do this at least one week in advance of your cruise. tickets usually arrive 7-10 days prior to sailing. at least they are still sending out tickets as most cruise lines now only provide etickets.
                  hope you have a great cruise. let us know when you get back home.
                  don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We also cruised on Costa Serena ...also in 2008 I think...out of Savona. I remember the embarkation was rather chaotic and we had to sit and wait for quite a while before we could go on board...but your ship being smaller might not be as bad.

We did feel that the compulsory gratuities meant that the staff were not as polite and friendly as they might have been if a tip would have been forthcoming!! but the facilities on the ship were fine, food was OK , and entertainment OK. We also had an OK experience on Classica but did not enjoy the 'European experience' so will not be cruising with them again.

Comment

Originally posted by morris, st. columb View Post
                      We also cruised on Costa Serena ...also in 2008 I think...out of Savona. I remember the embarkation was rather chaotic and we had to sit and wait for quite a while before we could go on board...but your ship being smaller might not be as bad.

We did feel that the compulsory gratuities meant that the staff were not as polite and friendly as they might have been if a tip would have been forthcoming!! but the facilities on the ship were fine, food was OK , and entertainment OK. We also had an OK experience on Classica but did not enjoy the 'European experience' so will not be cruising with them again.
                      Hi Morris we cruised in Feb 2008 from Savona. and yes the embarkation was chaotic but if I was to cruise with Costa again I would just go and try and get on without all that waiting. we waited and waited then as the time was getting late they just told everyone that where left to come forward or the ship would not have been able to leave the dock on time. but I did enjoy my cruise. BTW Savona looked a lovely little town didn't it?
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
                        There is a English speaking host on all Costa's ships, sometimes they may double up with say the French/German speaking Hosts but will hold at least one English meeting.

On the late Tropicale there were only 17 english speakers yet the host arranged two quizes & three get togetrhers over the ten days.
                        Cruising is like;

Comment

Originally posted by mike, Portbail View Post
                          Hi! Thanks for your response, language is not really a problem as we live in France, so suppose we are sort of Europeans! My main trouble has been in trying to contact Costa Cruises web site, no luck so far, but that is not unusual in our experience of Italy!
                          Mike
                          You are right Mike, as much as we like Costa their web site is a nightmare, however regardless of what you read you will be seated with English speakers on board in the MDR, (best place to make friends and arrange meet ups)

We have sailed on every Costa ship and really the smallest number of (Brits) was 17 and that was before they were well known in cruising circles. Try playing Contract Bridge with 5 or 6 different Nationalities great fun but we certainly did it on a Transatlantic once.
                          Cruising is like;

Comment

My wife and I were on the Costa Classica in the Far East last year and we didn't notice the different nationalities, to say not notice is wrong, there were so many different nationalities, we met Dutch, American, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Australian and New Zealanders and we had a great time

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                              Hi Morris we cruised in Feb 2008 from Savona. and yes the embarkation was chaotic but if I was to cruise with Costa again I would just go and try and get on without all that waiting. we waited and waited then as the time was getting late they just told everyone that where left to come forward or the ship would not have been able to leave the dock on time. but I did enjoy my cruise. BTW Savona looked a lovely little town didn't it?

I've just checked the dates and we were on her in Feb 2008 as well! ...cruising to the Canaries....we had an aft balcony which we quite enjoyed apart from the soot covering everything, I had to do the dusting every morning before we could sit down!! I remember it was half term (but also my birthday) and kids went free so as you can imagine it was a rather noisy cruise...haven't done a Costa cruise since and have no plans to!!!:D
                              Yes Savona did look a nice little town but we never had time to explore...

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X