• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

costa cruises: any tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

costa cruises: any tips?

We are taking our first cruise on Costa Pacifica, leaving Civitivecchia on Jan 20th 2011. Has anybody any tips for 'newbies'? I have read on this site that different lines have different policies on taking drinks aboard, on boarding procedures, on adults-only sessions in pools and spas, etc. but have seen nothing on Costa cruises.
    I know that tours will be expensive - and may be cancelled if insufficient English speakers book - so does anyone have experience of hiring cars or taking taxis in places like Izmir or Katolikon?
    Finally, I have seen references to K1 and J2 cards; what are these, how do they work and are they worth it?
    Thanks for reading!

Originally posted by Steve H, Battle View Post
    We are taking our first cruise on Costa Pacifica, leaving Civitivecchia on Jan 20th 2011. Has anybody any tips for 'newbies'? I have read on this site that different lines have different policies on taking drinks aboard, on boarding procedures, on adults-only sessions in pools and spas, etc. but have seen nothing on Costa cruises.
    I know that tours will be expensive - and may be cancelled if insufficient English speakers book - so does anyone have experience of hiring cars or taking taxis in places like Izmir or Katolikon?
    Finally, I have seen references to K1 and J2 cards; what are these, how do they work and are they worth it?
    Thanks for reading!
    Hi Steve,

It's been a while since my last Costa cruise. But at the time we had the X1 package and it worked well, there were no problems taking alchohol on board but that could have changed now.

In Katakolon if you are thinking of doing Olympia you should be able to hire a taxi quite easily. We have been there numerous times now and normally just stroll round the shops. The museum was very interesting at Olympia but I enjoyed the mercouri vinyard trip alot more ;)

Izmir again is a port we have visited frequently and is nice to wander around ~ I did a ships tour to Ephesus because I was going on my own and didn't want to endanger my safety travelling in a taxi alone.

Shell
    We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

Hi Steve,

Welcome on board.

You cannot take any booze onboard with you in any port.

The X1 package gives you beer/wine/sodas and water both in MDR's or the buffet when open, the last price I have is 9.5 Euros per day for each person in your cabin. The J2 is the full drinks package up to 6.95 per drink, including cabins mini-bar but watch prices.(say you want a Premium drink like Jack Daniels and coke/soda then order first a JD then add a soda water, as this comes to under 6.95 per drink that is okay.

The Shore trips are normally full with English speakers, if the tour is less than half full they might add French or Dutch to your coach. Although Costas tour are a bit OTT they are worth the money and very well organized.

PM me if you need clarification.
      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
      X