• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celebrity OBC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrity OBC.

Hi all.
    (Be aware there is a slight mention of politics in this thread)..)

I have a cruise booked on Celebrity Constellation for later in the year,,,,,and i have $500 OBC.
    I have noticed that when booked in the UK in ££££ Celebrity converts that $500 on the Cruise Planner into Pounds at Celebrity rate of exchange.

This rate fluctuates often in todays uncertain political climate,,,,for example todays OBC value is £379,,,,yesterday it was £382,,a few weeks ago it was £404.

I am looking to book the Tuscan Grill for a special occasion,,,it is cheaper if i book it online before boarding,,,,Celebrity rules say,,,,once i spend online pre cruise the OBC rate fixes at that days rate for any future pre spend.

Anything left when boarding becomes Dollars,,,,,the ship currency.

The thing is every time our Prime Minister opens his mouth Pound Sterling drops like a brick.

Should i pre book the restaurant now and fix the rate,or wait until later to see if pigs really do fly and hope the exchange rate rises in Sterling's favour.

JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 4th February 2020, 06:19 PM.
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

I usually wait for the on board deals. First night nearly always half price then other nights just hang around martini bar pre dinner if they have openings they will tout for business by discounting the price can be anything from 30% to 50% so I suppose it depends on how you want to chance it. We once had a call from the Captains club hostess she left a message on our phone to say if we dined in the Silk Harvest that evening we got a bogof. Especially applies if you dine early.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
      Hi all.

I have a cruise booked on Celebrity Constellation for later in the year,,,,,and i have $500 OBC.
      I have noticed that when booked in the UK in ££££ Celebrity converts that $500 on the Cruise Planner into Pounds at Celebrity rate of exchange.

This rate fluctuates often in todays uncertain political climate,,,,for example todays OBC value is £379,($1=£0.76),,,,,,yesterday it was £382,,($1=£0.77) a few weeks ago it was £404 ( $1=£0.81).

I am looking to book the Tuscan Grill for a special occasion,,,it is cheaper if i book it online before boarding,,,,Celebrity rules say,,,,once i spend online pre cruise the OBC rate fixes at that days rate for any future pre spend.

The thing is every time our Prime Minister opens his mouth Pound Sterling drops like a brick.

Should i pre book the restaurant now and fix the rate,or wait until later to see if pigs really do fly and hope the exchange rate rises in Sterling's favour.

JC
      For someone who has boasted in the past that his on board account is almost zero, what does it matter? When I have OBC, I just think in that currency.

I would be more concerned about any possible discounts I could lose or any possible increase in the cost of the reservation than currency fluctuations - JMO.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

For someone who has boasted in the past that his on board account is almost zero, what does it matter? When I have OBC, I just think in that currency.

I would be more concerned about any possible discounts I could lose or any possible increase in the cost of the reservation than currency fluctuations - JMO.

Annie

Hi Annie
        It matters because I'm paying my grats with it,,,a bit of laundry and Tuscan Grill and it's gone.
        JC

Comment

Hi Annie
          It matters because I'm paying my grats with it,,,a bit of laundry and Tuscan Grill and it's gone.
          JC
          Hi JC

That's easy then. You know how much the grats are and you can estimate the laundry bill. Is there enough left to cover Tuscan? Sorted.

Annie

PS If I ran up an on board account of $500 over the value of the OBC and sterling value dropped to £1.25, it would cost me an additional £15.40. Given the total cost of my holiday, I don't know if I would sweat it - but probably just me. I work on £ = $1.30
          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 4th February 2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Hi all.

This rate fluctuates often in todays uncertain political climate,,,,for example todays OBC value is £379,,,,yesterday it was £382,,a few weeks ago it was £404.

JC
            Come on JC, the fluctuations are minimal in the grand scheme of things.

When I was working abroad and sometimes paid in local currencies I calculated what money we needed locally for the next month and sent the rest hame as fast as I could. I never attempted to guess currency movements. The Governor of the Bank of England can’t forecast what will happen tomorrow so no chance for you or I.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
              Come on JC, the fluctuations are minimal in the grand scheme of things.

When I was working abroad and sometimes paid in local currencies I calculated what money we needed locally for the next month and sent the rest hame as fast as I could. I never attempted to guess currency movements. The Governor of the Bank of England can’t forecast what will happen tomorrow so no chance for you or I.
              Hi John
              Like yourself at times,,,,just a bit of devilment.!!!!
              JC

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi JC

That's easy then. You know how much the grats are and you can estimate the laundry bill. Is there enough left to cover Tuscan? Sorted.

Annie

PS If I ran up an on board account of $500 over the value of the OBC and sterling value dropped to £1.25, it would cost me an additional £15.40. Given the total cost of my holiday, I don't know if I would sweat it - but probably just me. I work on £ = $1.30
                Hi Annie
                The Grats are £212......Pressing service last October £25...Tuscan Grill £70....Is the Duty Free open if we visit Dubrovnic and Kotor That calls for a nice bottle or two,,,,,,all gone!!!
                JC

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                  I usually wait for the on board deals. First night nearly always half price then other nights just hang around martini bar pre dinner if they have openings they will tout for business by discounting the price can be anything from 30% to 50% so I suppose it depends on how you want to chance it. We once had a call from the Captains club hostess she left a message on our phone to say if we dined in the Silk Harvest that evening we got a bogof. Especially applies if you dine early.
                  Hi Bradbury.
                  I never have any luck with the discounts,,I have been trying to get a discount for 3 years in Tuscan,,,I don't want first night.
                  I've been offered Murano's a few times,ate there once,wasn't impressed.

Talking to some on Silly last October,,lots who used to book Aqua,but now find them expensive,are booking Consierge and buying 10 night speciality dining packages,,,hence they are getting full.

ps,I believe Silk Harvest has been replaced by Le Pete Chef/Quisine,,you can always get a discount in there,,,,,,not my idea of a nice quiet meal,,it's a gimmick.
                  Celebrity has a problem there,nobody goes twice.
                  JC
                  Last edited by jc, liverpool; 4th February 2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I had $600 obc but found out, by default, I had to spend it before boarding the ship. Like you, it was converted into GBP - got the calculator out and the rate wasn’t that bad at the time, about 1.27sh from memory. A WiFi package, 3 visits to the Tuscan grille and an excursion in Cozumel and most of it has gone. I’ve just had another $200 via the cruise booking agent and I’ve been assured it will be applied in dollars to our on board account. I’ll be checking before I depart in just under 2 weeks time. Anyway, it is what it is, I’m in a better position than I was a couple of months back.

We are big Constellation fans JC. I believe it is being lined up for a decent refurb in May.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                      I had $600 obc but found out, by default, I had to spend it before boarding the ship. Like you, it was converted into GBP - got the calculator out and the rate wasn’t that bad at the time, about 1.27sh from memory. A WiFi package, 3 visits to the Tuscan grille and an excursion in Cozumel and most of it has gone. I’ve just had another $200 via the cruise booking agent and I’ve been assured it will be applied in dollars to our on board account. I’ll be checking before I depart in just under 2 weeks time. Anyway, it is what it is, I’m in a better position than I was a couple of months back.

We are big Constellation fans JC. I believe it is being lined up for a decent refurb in May.
                      Is having to spend it before we board normal? We have $800. Already have drinks and have prepaid grats. I'm blowed if I'm going to lose $800, so better start spending on restaurants, trips etc. if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Is having to spend it before we board normal? We have $800. Already have drinks and have prepaid grats. I'm blowed if I'm going to lose $800, so better start spending on restaurants, trips etc. if that's the case.
                        i never spend OBC before boarding. I understood previously certain types of OBC could not be used before boarding e.g. Booking excursions but that rule has been relaxes.

I don"t like OBC - always struggle to use it - I would rather have a lower boarding fare.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Hi Peter
                          As i understand it,,,any OBC not spent before boarding converts to $$$ on boarding.
                          JC

Comment

Hi Peter
                            As i understand it,,,any OBC not spent before boarding converts to $$$ on boarding.
                            JC
                            You’re probably right JC but I was told I had to spend it before boarding. I’m sure there was a pop up of some description advising me of this. I was rather surprised but as I was going to buy the WiFi, restaurant package and excursion anyway, I wasn’t too bothered about it. Certainly worth clarifying. On the other hand my (booking agent) $200 OBC hasn’t appeared on my account yet. Perhaps this appears once you’re on the ship - not too sure at this stage.
                            Last edited by mike, lanarkshire; 5th February 2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Bradbury.
                              I never have any luck with the discounts,,I have been trying to get a discount for 3 years in Tuscan,,,I don't want first night.
                              I've been offered Murano's a few times,ate there once,wasn't impressed.

Talking to some on Silly last October,,lots who used to book Aqua,but now find them expensive,are booking Consierge and buying 10 night speciality dining packages,,,hence they are getting full.

ps,I believe Silk Harvest has been replaced by Le Pete Chef/Quisine,,you can always get a discount in there,,,,,,not my idea of a nice quiet meal,,it's a gimmick.
                              Celebrity has a problem there,nobody goes twice.
                              JC
                              I’ve received speciality dining discounts of anything up to 50%. The 50% was offered when we were in Bermuda overnight. 30% was for other nights. Sometimes the waiters come round and ask if you want to book their restaurant, if so ask for a discount. If you don’t ask you don’t get JC.

we love Murano’s and always book a night there. Qusine is as you say a gimmick. We’ve been twice, once on our own and the other with a very big crowd of friends but I don’t think we’d go back. We’ve only been Tuscan once and enjoyed it but if we were only going to book one speciality restaurant for us it would Murano’s.
                              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X