• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back from Beyond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from Beyond

I’m not an experienced reviewer so apologies in advance if this is a bit rambling!

We booked our 9 night cruise on Beyond in November last year. Having missed out on our Apex cruise 2 years ago we were excited to try a new ship and Beyond was practically straight out of the shipyard. Most of our previous cruises were on Solstice class ships and we are big fans especially of Silhouette and Reflection. We had booked a porthole view veranda stateroom on deck 6 but when we received the email about 3 weeks prior to embarkation asking for bids to upgrade we decided to go for Aquaclass and ended up with an infinite veranda stateroom on deck 9. This is not something we would normally do but since we hadn’t cruised for nearly 3 years we thought it would be a treat.

We had our RAT’s at Boots on the Friday morning, negative results within an hour and flew to Barcelona for overnight stay prior to sailing on the Saturday. Our check-in time at port was 12-12.30 however we arrived at port by 11.30 and stepped on the ship about 15 mins later. Vaccination status, test results, express passes were all checked on our phones, also passports were checked. Access to our stateroom was available right away as sea passes were waiting at the door. Videos for the muster drill are available on the Celebrity app and we watched these on the way to the port, all that was left was to report to our muster station before 4pm where you are given some additional info then you’re ticked off the list as having completed muster. Simples!

The ship interiors are visually stunning as I expected, I’ve been following the progress over the last few months and following Captain Kate McCue on social media for some time. She was Captain on Edge when operations were paused in March 2020 and ended up being on board for 311 days, her posts and videos were very interesting and provided a little bit of ‘cruise fix’ at that time. We were advised that they were sailing with a much reduced passenger capacity of 1100 but from June they will have
    around 2000 or more on most cruises.

The layout is a bit different to Solstice class ships. The Martini bar now dominates the centre of the grand plaza and is much bigger. No Passport bar, Ensemble lounge or Cellar Masters. We liked all the bars, particularly my husband liked Craft Social for sports on a big screen, Eden has lots of lovely areas for relaxing. The only issue with bar service was on sailaway from Barcelona in the Sunset bar but husband nipped down to the Mast bar and got served right away.

We had purchased a speciality dining package so ate 4 nights speciality, 3 nights in Blu and 2 nights Oceanview. Highlights were Eden restaurant and Le Voyage restaurant, these meals were outstanding but all in all no complaints about the food offerings. Cafe al Bacio is one of my favourite spots, it has been moved down to deck 4, it’s larger and still has the great selection of teas, coffees and cakes.

Regarding the Infinite Veranda, this turned out to be a very small negative for me. Don’t think it bothered my husband that much. There is a blind on the window and as far as I could make out it is either up or down, no in between, I wake early and normally like to have a peek outside the curtains and maybe step onto the balcony. It irritated me that I couldn’t do that, to open the blind would flood the room with light, not fair to a still sleeping husband!
    The space taken up by the veranda area did make the room look bigger but we didn’t really use that bit of space. I prefer a traditional balcony.

All in all, Beyond was a great experience and we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday.

Hi Sparkle
    Glad you enjoyed your cruise and well done on the review, it's never easy trying to convey ships and their interiors.
    Another small minus for us on the Infinity cabins was if the windows on your side were being cleaned the windows are locked in the closed position thereby negating their use in port.

Not a major problem as when in port we were off the ship anyway, it was only on our return we realised we couldn't open it until they'd finished.

Garf

Comment

We didn’t experience window cleaning, maybe they were still trying to get round to us 😂

Comment

From pictures I have seen, the ship looks amazing, glad you had a lovely time

Comment

Good review, Sparkle!

Comment

Great review Sparkle, thanks for sharing and good to hear you had a lovely cruise on this new ship.

Comment

Hi Sparkle
              Nice review,,I might try Beyond in October but the other way around to you,,,Rome to Barcelona

There is still I’m not sure about with E class ships.
              I do like the Passport Bar,Ensemble Lounge and front facing Sky Lounge on S class ships.

The E class seem to be more focused on Suite passengers.
              JC
              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 19th May 2022, 11:27 AM.
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Hi jc
                I doubt you'd like the musical entertainment.
                The main band who play in the Martini bar/ atrium are about the weakest I've seen.
                It probably has more to do with where they're playing than their musical talents.

The Martini bar is more for folks to meet up and chat than listen/ dance to a band.

The problem is X have put nearly all their eggs in that one particular basket as their premium meeting place for evenings

We've been having a good old think about this since our return and although the ship itself and the interiors space are wonderful they're not big enough for what could be 3k+ passengers.

Eden can probably hold 4-500 max
                The Club about the same.
                Both venues held floor shows during our cruise and both were rammed even with only 2200 onboard.
                It was great to experience a new concept but I doubt we'd book again on this class of ship.

Back to the S class for us although we've seen a very tempting shortie on Princess.

Garf.
                Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 19th May 2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Hi JC,
                  Know what you mean about E class focus on the suite guests. Same on the S class, my favourite place to relax in the sun used to be Solstice deck, nice and quiet and comfy sunbeds. If I understand it correctly this area is now part of the Retreat for suite guests. I like the areas you mention and looking forward to Silhouette in September for a re-visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                    Hi jc
                    I doubt you'd like the musical entertainment.
                    The main band who play in the Martini bar/ atrium are about the weakest I've seen.
                    It probably has more to do with where they're playing than their musical talents.

The Martini bar is more for folks to meet up and chat than listen/ dance to a band.

The problem is X have put nearly all their eggs in that one particular basket as their premium meeting place for evenings

We've been having a good old think about this since our return and although the ship itself and the interiors space are wonderful they're not big enough for what could be 3k+ passengers.

Eden can probably hold 4-500 max
                    The Club about the same.
                    Both venues held floor shows during our cruise and both were rammed even with only 2200 onboard.
                    It was great to experience a new concept but I doubt we'd book again on this class of ship.

Back to the S class for us although we've seen a very tempting shortie on Princess.

Garf.
                    Hi Garf

Interesting comments and observations which are shared by more than a few people.

Annie

Comment

"We had purchased a speciality dining package so ate 4 nights speciality, 3 nights in Blu and 2 nights Oceanview"

Afternoon Sparkle great review thank you, was your cabin an AQ one or are non AQ passengers now able to book BLU?

One of the attractions for us of AQ was the ease of getting a table post early show

Thanks

John

Comment

I was in Southampton when Beyond was in port for the travel agent jollies. I managed to get a couple of pictures on my phone, and that is probably the closest that I will get!
                        2018-
                        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Hi John, we had upgraded to AQ 3 weeks before departure on the ‘Move Up’ scheme. Cost us £310 to do this, we had originally booked a porthole view veranda. We were happy with our original choice but decided to do this as a bit of a treat since it had been so long, nearly 3 years, since our last cruise. Blu restaurant was lovely, enjoyed the food, unfortunately we only made it to Blu for breakfast on one morning as it’s only open 7-8.30am.
                          Last edited by Sparkle, UK; 19th May 2022, 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkle, UK View Post
                            I’m not an experienced reviewer so apologies in advance if this is a bit rambling!

...All in all, Beyond was a great experience and we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday.

Not rambling at all. As a non Celebrity devote, I found it very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkle, UK View Post
                              Hi JC,
                              Know what you mean about E class focus on the suite guests. Same on the S class, my favourite place to relax in the sun used to be Solstice deck, nice and quiet and comfy sunbeds. If I understand it correctly this area is now part of the Retreat for suite guests. I like the areas you mention and looking forward to Silhouette in September for a re-visit.
                              We feel exactly the same. There are no longer any quiet locations with sunbeds. We have one booked with Celebrity in 2024 but won't be looking for any more.
                              www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X