• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off Reflection.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Reflection.

Hi all
    A short summary of my cruise on Celebrity Reflection May16th-26th.
    Itinerary ….Dublin,,Greenock,,Reykjavik (2 days),Akureyri,Belfast and Cobh.

I booked this purely for the Iceland calls having been to all the other places.

Getting to Dublin to pick up the ship was easy,,,actually quicker than getting to Southampton for me.
    A quick 45 min flight from Manchester on Ryanair being no problem,,,,,I was actually lucky with the Ryanair flight,I actually booked the original flight from Liverpool,which is OK as its only 10 min from my house.The outward flight was good but the return meant hanging around Dublin all day for a 15:45 flight,,,,a couple of months ago Ryanair changed that return flight to after 18:00,a worst option,,,,luckily Ryanair rules let me change the whole booking,so I got a refund and rebooked from Manchester with a return flight of 10:35.

I travelled the night before and stayed in the Arlington Hotel just by O’Connell Bridge,,,,,for £150 the hotel was ideal position
    for a pub crawl,,,the hotel had its own Irish music bar with live music in the evening,,,,it also had a show called Celtic Nights in the basement for €34.

There was that many cruisers booked into the hotel the hotel put a bus on to the ship next morning for €5 each.

The ship check in at Dublin is in a huge tent like structure just through the Dock gates,,,,,you hand your luggage to the porters,its loaded on to vans and taken across the docks to the ship,,,,passengers check-in in the tent,then are called forward to be taken in bendy buses to the ship.

Up the gangplank onto deck 4 (Martini Bar)free glasses of sparkling wine in hand and your cruise starts.

At 13:00 our cabin was ready,dropped off hand luggage and off to the Oceanview buffet for some lunch….
    To be continued…..
    JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Looking forward to the rest of your blog ,

Comment

Look forward to reading more as Iceland is on our list. Dublin is an option for us (with no flying hubby) because we could get the ferry over from Holyhead. The drive to Holyhead and the length of the ferry would be similar to the time taken to get to Southampton.

Comment

"the length of the ferry would be similar to the time taken to get to Southampton."

Wow! It must be a really long ferry 😊

Comment

Hiya JC. Enjoyed following your cruise and seeing Reflection in Iceland on the webcam..... as to people recognising you!!

We knew you straight away before boarding Magnifica all those years ago.....

(Your luggage straps...emblazoned JC gave you away )

Carol
          sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Reflection is one of our favourite ships. Cruising into Greenock, well, that would be my worst nightmare as I’m only about 40 miles from there. Weather pretty awful Thursday and Friday but Saturday looks a bit better - stay on the ship JC 😊

Comment

Not much hope of that.. he got off a week ago..

Regards
              Garfield

Comment

Hi all
                Cabin.
                I booked a 2B balcony cabin on Deck 6 midship hump,,,,via the CC I got this for the cost of the cheaper 2C cabin

It had no obstructed view and was looking over the prom deck below,,,,it was starboard side and the puffing billy’s area was on the port side.

There was no kettle provided,but the steward said he would get us one if we needed it,,,as we were one deck below and underneath the Hideaway coffee area we felt there was no need for one.

The sofa was between the bed and the balcony doors which we like.
                The rest of the cabin was pretty much cruise standard,,,,but with the sliding shower door and no curtain.

The cabin steward was very good and gave us a label to hang on the door to let him know we were out of the room and he could make it up.
                Its great to come back from breakfast to a freshly made up room,,,,,and on sea days we certainly used it.

JC
                Last edited by jc, liverpool; 30th May 2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Hi all
                  Food & Drink.
                  We were on Select dining and we had no problem getting our preferred table for 2 around between 18:30—19:00,although a couple of times we were given a bleeper but never waited more than 20mins,,,,it was just back to the Martini Bar and a huge Gray Goose & slimline,,,,,easy on the slimline,,,,,believe me the measures in all the bars were massive

There was music on in all the bars of an evening,,,,acoustic guitar,jazz,big band,,,,and a decent band called ‘Elite’ playing the party music.

Now the one complaint,,,I know food is subjective but the food in the Oceanview buffet is brilliant,tasty,well cooked and the choices amazing.
                  Food from around the world,,,,4 carvery’s going at a time,,,,curry’s to die for,steak and fish cooked to order,,,I can’t think of a better buffet than on Soltice Class ships.

It’s a pity I can’t say the same about the Opus MDR,,,,,,lately I eat more fish than meat and the previous ships the fish dishes have been perfect,,,,for whatever reason on this cruise the fish was dry tasteless.Cooked with herb or almond topping or some other topping you feel they are hiding something…the simple pan fried Sea Bass on the last night was perfect.
                  The meat dishes on the other hand,Rib of Beef,Rack of Lamb or Steaks melted in the mouth.

We always made it to the late night buffet,,,,I usually had a ham salad sandwich,my wife a pasta cooked whilst you wait,this was her drinking chocholate time.

I do think they have cut back on staff in the dining rooms,,,they all seem to be running round like BAF,,,,every day in the buffet you heard crashing cutlery,,,,waiters carrying too much to try to keep up.

One more thing about dining,,,,,,unusually ship muster was at 19:45,so it meant dining early or late,,the best was we dined at 18:00,came out at 19:30,,,,,then went back into the dining room at 19:45 for the James Bond style muster film,,no lifejackets req.
                  JC
                  Last edited by jc, liverpool; 30th May 2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Hi all
                    Entertainment…..
                    Again,I think corners are being cut,I remember 4 years ago you had a Beatles tribute,a Queen act or a great band called Tenors of Rock.

Now in the theatre there are more production shows,not all great,,,,,,and there must have been 10’000 artists who played the lead in Les Mis on cruise ships,,,,,this one was no exception with a harmony group called The Barricades,they all sound the same,all talking about themselves,,,,there was a Ventriloquist (no thanks),a magician who never stopped talking about himself and did about 3 tricks in 45min.

There was one show called ‘Euphoria’ which was a show featuring the ships lead singers and a few of the dancers with the 4 ships trapeze artists, this was brilliant,,,better in my opinion than CdS I saw on Meraviglia.

Another cut back I feel (maybe the Med might be different) but they always have late night (23:00hrs) party nights in the Sky Lounge….apart from one Silent Disco it was Karaoke or Bandaoke (What a waste of a good band.)

Do to the cold weather the Mast Bar and Grill never opened,,,they kept trying to push dinner in the Lawn Club Grill,but who wants to eat dinner wrapped in a blanket.

You might think I was a bit disillusioned with the entertainment,I wasn’t,if you picked your bars a good evening was had by all,,,,especially if you join a bunch of Irish in the Passport bar.

Anything I have forgot and a take on the ports of call coming up.

You couldn't make this one up,,,,one afternoon on a sea day i put my name down for a putting competition,,,get a ball in a cup across the carpet,,,just for a laugh.
                    Six Americans turned up with their Golf/Country Club shirts on,,,Baseball cap,and 2 of them even brought their own putters.
                    A little lad of 8 yrs won!!!!!boy did i laugh.
                    JC
                    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 30th May 2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Hi all
                      Entertainment…..
                      Again,I think corners are being cut,I remember 4 years ago you had a Beatles tribute,a Queen act or a great band called Tenors of Rock.

Now in the theatre there are more production shows,not all great,,,,,,and there must have been 10’000 artists who played the lead in Les Mis on cruise ships,,,,,this one was no exception with a harmony group called The Barricades,they all sound the same,all talking about themselves,,,,there was a Ventriloquist (no thanks),a magician who never stopped talking about himself and did about 3 tricks in 45min.

There was one show called ‘Euphoria’ which was a show featuring the ships lead singers and a few of the dancers with the 4 ships trapeze artists, this was brilliant,,,better in my opinion than CdS I saw on Meraviglia.

Another cut back I feel (maybe the Med might be different) but they always have late night (23:00hrs) party nights in the Sky Lounge….apart from one Silent Disco it was Karaoke or Bandaoke (What a waste of a good band.)

Do to the cold weather the Mast Bar and Grill never opened,,,they kept trying to push dinner in the Lawn Club Grill,but who wants to eat dinner wrapped in a blanket.

You might think I was a bit disillusioned with the entertainment,I wasn’t,if you picked your bars a good evening was had by all,,,,especially if you join a bunch of Irish in the Passport bar.

Anything I have forgot and a take on the ports of call coming up.

You couldn't make this one up,,,,one afternoon on a sea day i put my name down for a putting competition,,,get a ball in a cup across the carpet,,,just for a laugh.
                      Six Americans turned up with their Golf/Country Club shirts on,,,Baseball cap,and 2 of them even brought their own putters.
                      A little lad of 8 yrs won!!!!!boy did i laugh.
                      JC
                      Yeah, I woulda have laughed my socks off too JC. Nowt so arrogant as these American Golf Club posers. (Says your resident septic tank 😉)

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post

Yeah, I woulda have laughed my socks off too JC. Nowt so arrogant as these American Golf Club posers. (Says your resident septic tank 😉)

Take care, Helen
                        Hi Helen
                        There was over 2000 on this cruise from the US or Canada.
                        About 200 each from Ireland and the U.K. So we had to watch our step

I remeber you mentioning Lumberjack shirts a while ago,,,maybe because it was a cold weather cruise and the Yanks had packed warm clothes up to their luggage allowance but.....
                        Tha American dress code seemed to be Lumberjack shirts,hiking pants with 24 pockets in and hiking type trainers,and that was morning,afternoon and night
                        I think they were made by a company called Columbia,,,everyone was wearing them.

Although we were on a table for 2 they were close enough to talk to the next tables.
                        On one side we had a couple from New Jersey,on the other a couple from Buffalo.
                        We had a good laugh over dinner,,,,,

ps I never knew New Yorkers disliked other Americans so much,and visa versa.

A bit like me and Southerners.
                        JC

Comment

It’s not that New Yorkers dislike other Americans, it’s just that NY is perhaps slightly more intellectual and interesting than the parts that Heineken doesn’t reach
                          I couldn’t get over the number of people wearing the lumberjack shirts in the MDR even on the formal nights. Their plea is “I’m on Vacation!” to which I will say, “So am I! It doesn’t mean I have to dress like a slob in a classy restaurant.” If they paid all that money for a cruise they can afford to splash out on a decent pair of trousers and a short sleeve shirt and a pair of shoes.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Hi JC thanks for the lovely blog.Loved the putting story.
                            The phrase all the gear and no idea springs to mind.
                            I've witnessed some overly competitive types over the years on cruises.I play sport to win ,but some well..
                            Mind you, my Dad took deck cricket incredibly seriously .

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
                              "the length of the ferry would be similar to the time taken to get to Southampton."

Wow! It must be a really long ferry 😊
                              Yup that’s how long the ferry is when I post a comment at 630am. After coffee and breakfast the sentence would have made more sense! 🙈

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X