• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wave of anticipation as Carnival announces new fleet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wave of anticipation as Carnival announces new fleet

Carnival Australia hopes to introduce up to five new vessels to its fleet over the next decade.

The new ships are expected to primarily be offered through P&O Cruises, with one or two potentially going to Princess Cruises, according to etravelblackboard.

New cruise lines will form part of a strategy to boost passenger numbers significantly over the next ten years.

"Australia for us is still a growth market," said David Dingle, Carnival Australia management committee chairman told the travel website.

Mr Dingle, who is also chief executive of Carnival UK, added: "Unlike other places in the world where we consider cruise to be a maturing market, Australia is still growing."

During the current cruise season, Carnival Australia plans to carry 300,000 passengers across its range, a 60,000 increase on last year's figures. By the end of the decade it hopes to carry up to 700,000 holidaymakers each year.

However, with bigger numbers of passengers comes bigger ships and Mr Dingle said he is "well aware" that increasing the size of vessels means they may no longer be able to fit under the landmark Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Instead, he said Carnival Australia may look to other opportunities around the country.

The company's 47,000-ton Pacific Sun has already been crowned "Australia's favourite cruise ship", according to P&O Cruises, so there is bound to be a wave of anticipation around the announcement of new vessels.

What do you think about the proposal for larger vessels? Would you be disappointed to have to bypass the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge?

Interesting announcement on the back of the news yesterday from Royal Carib in their Q4 broadcast "New-build slowdown, 2013 is likely time for anything new. Fall 2012, Solstice-class ship, is last on order now."

If you're booking a cruise that visit's Sydney I think you'd be quite dissapointed to get under Sydney Harbour Bridge.
    sigpic
    Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
    Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Comment

Can't they raise the bridge? ;-)

I assume the Carnival Newbuilds will all just be more 'clones' of their existing designs, rather than new designs?
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Frankly, I reckon Carnival has it WIRED!

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
        I assume the Carnival Newbuilds will all just be more 'clones' of their existing designs,
        rather than new designs? ===> Quite likely, yes!
        Carnival's been doing this stuff for some time now!

Your basic modern,functional cruise-ship design must -by now- be in what?...
        fifth or sixth generation? ..more?

New ships like Carnival Dream have things sorted!

Don't fix it if it ain't broke...and Splendor and Dream
        are about as refined as Carnival Cruise Line wants their ships to be. ;)

Splendor at Cannes..

You'll notice too that Carnival Cruise Line(not the Corp.)
        hasn't built anything over 130,000 tons. -Why?
        They must have a reason for that..

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

New ships like Carnival Dream have things sorted
          Aplemac, I've not cruise with Carnival, but I acknowledge there global success and quality of product. However reviews out their in cyberspace suggest that Carnival Dream has not 'got things sorted'.

"Dream is based on the Destiny/Conquest Class and has many of their design flaws. DREAM carries 1000 more passengers then DESTINY, but essentially has the same infrastructure (public areas, elevators, and deck space). The Dream is simply too crowded a ship, with lines for food, poor theatre seats, waiting for elevators etc. DREAM even has one less pool for all those passengers".

However most commentators agree that she is the most attractive of the Carnival ships.

You'll notice too that Carnival [I]Cruise Line hasn't built anything over 130,000 tons. -Why?
          They must have a reason for that.. [/b]
          O.K we will exclude the QM2. ;) Carnival Destiny was of course the biggest cruise ship in the world in 1996, so Carnival were involved in the "my ships bigger than your ship game". In fact only a few years ago, Carnival's project 'Pinnacle' was on the drawing-board. This was a ship possibly as big as Oasis, if not bigger. Carnival shelve it due to fear about the exchange rates.

I'm sure if Oasis, Allure and Epic prove to be big success and the recession blows over, Carnival will be aback with a monster ship.;)
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X