• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propulsion problems cause Carnival cancellations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propulsion problems cause Carnival cancellations

Carnival Destiny is experiencing propulsion problems, leading to the cancellation of two upcoming cruises and modification to three others.

A Carnival spokesperson told USA Today, "the problem began last week and is affecting the 14-year-old ship's sailing speed but nothing else. The Miami-based vessel will undergo a last-minute, seven-day dry dock starting on Feb. 13 to resolve the problem".

The Destiny will be back to its normal schedule on Feb. 22.

"We sincerely apologize for the impact of these changes on our guests' vacations plans and wish to thank them for their understanding," the line's President and CEO, Gerry Cahill, says in a statement.

Carnival are offering refunds and compensatory on board credit those passengers affected.
    Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Please note: I am currently on maternity leave. Should you have any admin queries, please send a PM to Nisha at sea . Thanks

Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

First question in my mind, "7 day dry dock in quite a substantial repair, so what failed so badly that was not detected under routine maintenance?"
    sigpic
    Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
    Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Comment

Early May 2007

My first cruise was on Carnival Destiny!

In a somewhat related matter, I won't easily forget docking at Sint Maarten
      when those of us in an aft dining room (right over the props)
      experienced nothing short of a seismic event!

Seems the guys on the bridge were sidling her up to the dock
      using fair chunks of power applied this way and that
      because cutlery was jumping around on the table, as was crockery to a lesser extent.
      The whole stern section of the ship was shuddering!
      and the Din.Rm. was on Deck 3 -not that far from the source of vibration!!

I had a fair idea of what was causing our unsettling breakfast experience
      but you should have seen the looks on the faces of elderly people
      who were not in-the-know!!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Doesn't take much, you know..

Originally posted by grantthomas, Emsworth View Post
        First question in my mind,
        "7 day dry dock in quite a substantial repair,
        so what failed so badly that was not detected under routine maintenance?"
        Hit something underwater,at night while under way?
        and knocked a chunk out of one of the blades on one(of two) props?

Result: instant severe vibration.

Comment

Might be divine intervention - my first and LAST voyage on a Carnival ship reminded me of the time I spent as public relations officer at Butlins in Minehead. The only difference was that we actually took notice of complaints at the holiday camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Hancock, Frome View Post
            Might be divine intervention - my first and LAST voyage on a Carnival ship reminded me of the time I spent as public relations officer at Butlins in Minehead. The only difference was that we actually took notice of complaints at the holiday camp.
            LOL it was THAT good?!
            Last edited by Grant, West Sussex; 27th January 2010, 01:16 PM.
            sigpic
            Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway

Comment

Originally posted by Hancock, Frome View Post
              Might be divine intervention - my first and LAST voyage on a Carnival ship
              reminded me of the time I spent as public relations officer at Butlins in Minehead.
              How many decades ago was that? Maybe they've improved since then?

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post

Result: instant severe vibration.

I didn't see comment about vibration, only a loss of propulsion but agree an explanation (RCA) would probably put a lot of cruisers minds at rest
                sigpic

Comment

Butlins has! Judging by the chit chat on the aircraft back from the Carnival experience, they are getting worse!

Comment

We can't blame Destiny's 'Pods' as she does not have them! She had carried problems for quite a while now.
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                      We can't blame Destiny's 'Pods' as she does not have them! She had carried problems for quite a while now.
                      So if she has no 'azis' she is straight propshaft propelled? I guess on this age that was standard design, but nearly all the new ships use azimuthing pods......or do they?....
                      sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X