• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carnival denies that price cuts let in 'undesirables'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnival denies that price cuts let in 'undesirables'

The CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines has rejected the notion that the company's discount prices have led to undesirable passengers on its ships.

Last year, six passengers from the Carnival Victory were arrested in Antigua after a fight with local police officers.

Since then, the cruise operator has announced that the ship will no longer stop on the island, although it has denied that this is connected with the incident. Carnival Freedom, however, will continue to call there.

Speaking to television host Jeremy Vine at a travel convention in Barcelona, Micky Arison was asked if reduced cruise prices had led to social unrest on the company's ships.

He responded: "Fighting isn't just something that happens to people on low incomes.

"Whether you earn 10p or £100,000 a week, it often comes down to how much beer you've drunk or the circumstances you're in. It's like road rage, it doesn’t matter if you're driving a Mercedes or a Fiat.

According to Antigua's government, almost half a million tourists arrive on cruise ships to its shores each year.

Do you think cheap deals are having an effect on cruise clientele?

Micky doesn't do lower decks, c'mon!

Originally posted by Cruise News, cruise.co.uk View Post
    The CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines
    has rejected the notion that the company's discount prices
    have led to undesirable passengers on its ships.

Do you think cheap deals are having an effect on cruise clientele?
    What do you expect him to say??

Anyone with money in their hand is a welcome passenger!

Even those who didn't pay for their cruise are still welcome passengers
    because at the end of the cruise they'll have a cabin bill to pay.
    Bin there -done that!

What is 'an undesirable passenger'?
    That definition needs to be established first
    before this discussion can go any further! ;)

There are no undesirable passengers
    - not as long as they contribute more than ten bucks to Carnival Corp.!
    :D
    Last edited by Aplmac, Barbados; 29th October 2009, 11:06 AM.
    Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Well said :D. I can't think of anything else that needs adding.
      Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. ;)

Comment

I believe that this particular incident was caused by some americans from New York, not happy at being overcharged by the local taxi driver, started to get irate with the man, causing the local police to intervene.
        Had taxi problems myself in the past, I now always get an upfront price from ANY local services before I use them to avoid this type of problem. As for low cruise prices causing undesirable passengers, I agree fully with the comments made above. Undesirable passengers are not restricted to people on low incomes, far from it !!.
        Last edited by Crusinman, Warboys, Cambs.; 29th October 2009, 11:07 AM. Reason: add facts

Comment

Carnival Cruises including Puerto Rico in its itinerary are definitely not for British passengers - or any other person with any degree of respectability come to that! I have never experienced such a rowdy, greedy, unruly set of people in my 30 years of cruising!

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados View Post

Even those who didn't pay for their cruise are still welcome passengers
            because at the end of the cruise they'll have a cabin bill to pay.
            Bin there -done that!

Aplmac - how DO you get these free cruises?!
            sigpic
            Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
            Next cruises: Celebrity Eclipse (May 2015)
            Past 6 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x7), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora (2), NCL Getaway
            Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X