• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carnival to Retire Six Ships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnival to Retire Six Ships

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...t-90-days.html

The shape of things to Come?

I do wonder how long P&O's Aurora has left to serve?
    See my cruise blog: HERE

I read this somewhere else .As such a large corporation it's hard to second guess which ships it will be.I guess Aurora must be one under consideration as Oriana has already been sold off.

Comment

Thus it begins, the bean counters are working their magic, I think that it is inevitable that we will see more changes to fleet sizes and consolidation of operations.

John

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
        ...I guess Aurora must be one under consideration as Oriana has already been sold off.
        Here are some images of Aurora, if you have never seen her interiors:

https://youtu.be/L0Ygos0ZdT0

Comment

I can't find it now but one of the Costa ships got mentioned recently.

Much easier and cheaper to wind some ships out of service now and not have to displace as many people

The interesting bit will be if there is anyone out there looking to pick up a ship with plans to run with it

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

The interesting bit will be if there is anyone out there looking to pick up a ship with plans to run with it
            That would be a brave thing to do in the present economic climate unless the ship was a bargain - but they probably will be! Olsen did talk about obtaining anther vessel a while back, when things looked brighter. Aurora might suit them or CMV?

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

That would be a brave thing to do in the present economic climate unless the ship was a bargain - but they probably will be! Olsen did talk about obtaining anther vessel a while back, when things looked brighter. Aurora might suit them or CMV?
              P& O have never been keen on selling their old ships to British based rivals ,I think largely to do with ship loyalty. CMV have picked up a couple of P&O Australia ships but with 2 recent acquisitions I doubt it in the current climate. Fred haven't acquired a "new " ship for ages,but again the current climate suggest no.
              Mothballing or scrapping sadly seem most likely and I'm guessing mothballing wouldn't thrill the bean counters...

Comment

The purchase price will not be the obstacle but rather the operating costs and insurance costs of the vessel. Oh and the additional financing costs of borrowing to cover the cash they are all burning.

CMV had a loan application for £25 million turned down recently.

Annie

Comment

I would personally love it if Aurora joined the Fred Olsen fleet. We sailed on her in 2014 and loved the ship. Having 2 swimming pools, a show lounge and a theatre would be a great addition to the fleet.

I doubt it will happen though.

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I would personally love it if Aurora joined the Fred Olsen fleet. We sailed on her in 2014 and loved the ship.
                    I believe that the likes of P&O never sell to competitors, hence Oriana went to China.

Comment

I believe that the likes of P&O never sell to competitors, hence Oriana went to China.
                      I don't doubt your expertise Malcolm but we can always hope that P & O might change their past practice due to the massive change in the cruising world brought on by this Pandemic and the financial implications.

Fred was looking at the possibility of a new ship but that probably won't be on the cards now.
                      Jill

Comment

Carnival as a group are burning cash at the rate of $650 million per month. That policy may change.

Annie
                        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 18th June 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Carnival as a group are burning cash at the rate of $650 per month. That policy may change.

Annie
                          Didn't I just say that?
                          Jill

Comment

P&O old ships, CMV, Phoenix Reisen, Azamara have one each, won't count the one that Princess has.

CMV also has an ex Carnival brand ship

Comment

Hi all
                              I understand some people have an infinity for old ships.i sailed a few with Thomson.

But I must say in over 70 cruises Aurora was the worst ship and the worst cruise I have ever been on,,,gods waiting room.
                              Its were the saying 'catching flies must have come from,,,,I saw more people's tonsils on that cruise........

edit,,,,Boudicca is the worst ship I've ever been on,,thank god it was only one night.
                              Maybe FO could scrap Boudicca and replace it with Aurora,,it would be a marginal improvement.

Just saying!!!!
                              JC
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X