• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Some Extension "

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    "Some Extension "

    Silversea cruise ship is cut IN HALF and a 49ft section inserted | Daily Mail Online
    The Link contains a video of the work being done.
    They must be doing well ,not for the first time has a Cruise Ship been Cut in two and extra cabins added.Clever how the do it.

    Then float in the New Section



    Just wish I could afford to sail on her....Taffy
    ​Taffy

    #2
    It is amazing how they do it, but I wonder if it changes the over all feel of the ship. After all it was fairly small, and now has extra passengers, I wonder how the loyal fans feel about it? .................................................. .........Carol

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
      It is amazing how they do it, but I wonder if it changes the over all feel of the ship.
      Yes, it will feel longer Carol!

      I see ship stretching as mainly being advantageous to the line, not the passengers, unless you book a nice new cabin.

      Just don't pick a cabin on the join!
      See my cruise blog: HERE

      Comment


        #4
        I would always wonder if they'd stuck it together properly. Illogical, I know, as it was assembled from bits in the first place.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
          I would always wonder if they'd stuck it together properly. Illogical, I know, as it was assembled from bits in the first place.


          Don't panic, the above is an oil tanker - not the same!
          See my cruise blog: HERE

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
            Yes, it will feel longer Carol!

            I see ship stretching as mainly being advantageous to the line, not the passengers, unless you book a nice new cabin.

            Just don't pick a cabin on the join!
            I once saw F.O Balmoral in the Blohm and Voss shipyard in Hamburg during her cut and stretch. It was fascinating to see the ship in two pieces. I was on a Cunard ship at the time.

            I have sailed on Balmoral both pre and post stretch and on one cruise, I was pleased to get a new cabin in the added section. I lived to tell the tale!

            F.O. Braemar was also stretched and regular Braemar cruisers all seem to say the ship was far better before the stretch. Having sailed on Braemar just once, after she was stretched, I can not confirm or deny the claims. The ship does move about quite a bit in rough weather and I was told it’s because she has a flat bottom and is nothing to do with being stretched. What are your views Malcolm ?

            Comment


              #7
              shame some people waste their time posting stuff.

              https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/109-c...tch-video.html


              Ships lengthening is rather easy to do as the ships are built from blocks and welded together
              the biggest issue will be getting the hydrodynamics signed off.


              some other stretches
              1978 Song of Norway (Probably the first on a modern cruise ship, many will know as the Airtours/Sun Cruises Sundream)
              1989 130ft Thomson Dream(when a HAL ship)
              1998 131ft Norwegian Dream
              2005 72ft Enchantment of the seas
              2008 98ft Balmoral
              2009 102ft Baemar
              2014 78ft MSC Armonia
              2015 78ft MSC Sinfonia

              Comment


                #8
                I know they are built completely differently and a lot of other things need to be taken into account, but what they call a cut and shunt is two halves of different cars welded together is illegal and would never pass any test. Many years ago we made thousands of axils for the ford transit van we made it all in one but lost the order to Japan but they made it in two halves we soon got the contract back. Now if Ford and the U.K. Government say it's unsafe to split and weld anything surely it must alter the stability/ integrity of the ship.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by George, Gateshead (3) View Post
                  I know they are built completely differently and a lot of other things need to be taken into account, but what they call a cut and shunt is two halves of different cars welded together is illegal and would never pass any test. Many years ago we made thousands of axils for the ford transit van we made it all in one but lost the order to Japan but they made it in two halves we soon got the contract back. Now if Ford and the U.K. Government say it's unsafe to split and weld anything surely it must alter the stability/ integrity of the ship.
                  I remember many years ago (very many) that Scott Lithgow on the Clyde started to build bigger ships. To achieve this they were built in two halves, floated together and then welded up. Fair play to the welders working in those conditions under the hull in a sealed compartment with the River Clyde on the outside.

                  No issues from the Government. Remember Dune Buggies? They were all initially VW Beetle floor panels with 16 inches removed and then welded together. I thought it was crazy as it was a flat floorpan - not a shell welded all the way round. Didn't hear of any mishaps but latterly they were all full wheelbase without being shortened.

                  Ah, happy days.

                  Bill


                  Lawnmowerman

                  Comment


                  We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.


                  By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

                  Working...
                  X