• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saga's Spirit of Discovery in trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Saga's Spirit of Discovery in trouble

    Friends of ours embarked on Spirit of Discovery in Southampton at 1700 hours on Sunday 21/11 for a cruise to Madeira and the Canary Islands.

    Sadly, they are still in Southampton due to a problem with one of the ship's engines.

    I know how much they were looking forward to this cruise and can only imagine how fed up the passengers on board must feel. No doubt they will all be compensated according to the delay but how much longer can the ship stay in Southampton before the cruise itinerary is no longer viable time wise?
    Jill

    #2
    The ship is now sitting in the Solent because the berth in Southampton was booked for another ship.

    Passengers have been told that the engineers are arriving from Germany at 11am today. The ship should then be on it's way with a revised itinerary.

    Does that mean that the ship will sail with the engineers on board or that the engine fault will need to fixed before it sails? Apparently the fault is only in one engine and I have no idea what happens in situations like this.

    Has anyone on here experienced a similar situation?
    Jill

    Comment


      #3
      We were on Oriana for xmas &NY cruise a couple of years back, woke up on jan 2nd and was reading a book when it all went quiet AND dark, OH was on his snoring machine and that cut out, as always we were in an inside cabin so was BLAACK.. went up on deck and we were talking of having rowing teams etc etc worse thing was the toilets not working........ Long story short, we were off Lisbon and engineers had to get over from the UK to mend it, LUckily after about 4/5 hours electric and toilets were working, engineers got there the next day, P&O sent us all off into lisbon for the day and by time we got back it was working...Bit embarrassing for P&O as the chinese ( who had just bought the ship ) were on board... All got something like £100pp, came in handy for the bar bill x

      Comment


        #4
        There are rules but the seem quite relaxed

        Marela Discovery hobbled around for months with engine issues.
        NCL has also had ship Power propulsion issues.

        When they say engine trouble it can mean a lot of different thinks and saying engine makes most understand it can't move.

        ​​​​​​​This ship has 4 engines, uses pods( electric motors) for propulsion.

        Comment


          #5
          We were in Gib. on Sea Princess. We were late leaving port because an engine failed. We were told that whilst the ship could continue at sea with an engine out, the ship was not allowed to leave port without all engines functioning. We reached Biscay the next day after the fault had been rectified, and suddenly stopped. It had failed again. Fortunately it was flat calm. Eventually we had to continue at reduced speed without the defective engine in use, and were late arriving in Southampton, much to the consternation of passengers with flights home.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
            Friends of ours embarked on Spirit of Discovery in Southampton at 1700 hours on Sunday 21/11 for a cruise to Madeira and the Canary Islands.

            Sadly, they are still in Southampton due to a problem with one of the ship's engines.

            I know how much they were looking forward to this cruise and can only imagine how fed up the passengers on board must feel. No doubt they will all be compensated according to the delay but how much longer can the ship stay in Southampton before the cruise itinerary is no longer viable time wise?
            What a shame for your friends and everyone else onboard. I hope they get the problem sorted soon so they can at least enjoy some of their cruise.

            Our Celebrity ship broke down while we were in Ajaccio several years ago. We had to miss a port as we had to stay in Ajaccio overnight as They had to fly out engineers and the broken part. We all received $200 OBC per cabin as compensation.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

              What a shame for your friends and everyone else onboard. I hope they get the problem sorted soon so they can at least enjoy some of their cruise.

              Our Celebrity ship broke down while we were in Ajaccio several years ago. We had to miss a port as we had to stay in Ajaccio overnight as They had to fly out engineers and the broken part. We all received $200 OBC per cabin as compensation.
              Our friends informed us that the ship got underway at midday. They are heading for Madeira, the first port of call where they will arrive 3 days late. At least they will not miss it altogether.
              Jill

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

                Our friends informed us that the ship got underway at midday. They are heading for Madeira, the first port of call where they will arrive 3 days late. At least they will not miss it altogether.
                Brilliant news. ……..
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                  We were on Oriana for xmas &NY cruise a couple of years back, woke up on jan 2nd and was reading a book when it all went quiet AND dark, OH was on his snoring machine and that cut out, as always we were in an inside cabin so was BLAACK.. went up on deck and we were talking of having rowing teams etc etc worse thing was the toilets not working........ Long story short, we were off Lisbon and engineers had to get over from the UK to mend it, LUckily after about 4/5 hours electric and toilets were working, engineers got there the next day, P&O sent us all off into lisbon for the day and by time we got back it was working...Bit embarrassing for P&O as the chinese ( who had just bought the ship ) were on board... All got something like £100pp, came in handy for the bar bill x
                  ok, give up, what is a snoring machine?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Dont know the proper name for it but it stops the old man snoring..... could be e-pak machine or something like... there are always loads of them being taken onto a ship...... best invention ever made

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                      Dont know the proper name for it but it stops the old man snoring..... could be e-pak machine or something like... there are always loads of them being taken onto a ship...... best invention ever made
                      It's a CPAP machine ( continuous positive airway pressure)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        When I was a child a boiler in the engine room blew when we were on the Chusan and it took us 2 extra days to limp home.We were in the Bay of Biscay at the time.As my Dad pointed out , why didn't it blow when we were in the Mediterranean rather than the BOB?😀

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Latest news from my friends on board. They are due to arrive in Funchal tomorrow-3 days late. The good news is that they love the ship, the weather is good (at the moment) and they are having a great time.
                          Jill

                          Comment


                          We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.


                          By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

                          Working...
                          X