• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘Which’ Best & Worst Cruise Lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Which’ Best & Worst Cruise Lines

I subscribe to ‘Which’ magazine. In their Travel supplement for January 2020, they show the results of their annual passenger survey of the Best and Worst Cruise Lines. The survey was based on the response of 2,254 Which members. A small percentage of the thousands of passengers taking cruise holidays.

The cruise lines were rated in eleven different categories, including, price per night, passenger space ratio, cabin quality, customer service, itinerary, food and drink and value for money. Unfortunately, I am not able to post the link.

The top four Cruise Lines, based on subscriber responses were: Viking 93%, Saga 88%, Azamara 87%, and Hurtigruten 85%.

The bottom four Cruise Lines were: NCL 70%, Cruise and Maritime 69%, Holland America 68%, and MSC 57%.

The most responses (504) came from P and O passengers, Which rated the cruise line 71%. The verdict of Which was , ‘Cheap, not cheerful. Swap the familiar for better rated,, lesser known alternatives.’

Which’s verdict of MSC rated 57% was, ‘Avoid. you will have a better time with any other cruise line.’ To be fair, only based on (67) responses.

I know we all have different preferences and budgets and what suits one passenger, would not suit another.

Your comments would be welcome.
    Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 18th December 2019, 01:12 PM.

I always smile at these surveys and look for the possible demographics involved and the country of origin. I haven't travelled with any of the ''top four'' but I would think they're certainly entitled to be up there amongst others although how 67 responses can be called a fair poll result, I'm not sure.

The survey, travel, hotels etc, which I read and take in with more than a pinch of salt, is Conde Nash Traveller awards.

Comment

I have only tried HAL and Norwegian of the lines mentioned. I would rate HAL far higher than Norwegian, in fact one cruise on Norwegian was quite enough, and while HAL is not among my favourites I would go with them if the itinerary and price were right.
      Last edited by smtcan, Scarborough; 18th December 2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I take these surveys with a pinch of salt. 2254 responses, just enough to fill a third of a mega ship - hardly convincing results based on such a small number of participants.

Comment

The top 4 cruise lines have smaller ships and are priced at the upper end of the marketplace??

Some notable omissions.

Annie

Comment

There is a cruise ship for every taste. Surveys don't really tell us much. Much better to ask for first hand experiences from forum members.

Comment

Without being rude, you do have to question the demographic taking the survey; with Saga on 88% the cruisers questioned must have been at a certain age. If this is the same news as earlier in the year then very few of those interviewed had tried anywhere near 'most' of the cruise lines, so a lot is based around perception.

Based on my experience of the 'bottom' lines I would prefer MSC, then NCL then CMV. As Cooke, Ashby says there's something out there for all tastes

Comment

I would never condemn a cruiseline based on one cruise.

I have had good and not so good experiences on the pretty well every cruiseline I have been on.

The differences from one ship to another of the same line can be quite wide, so I take one off reviews with a pinch of salt...............Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                  There is a cruise ship for every taste. Surveys don't really tell us much. Much better to ask for first hand experiences from forum members.
                  Yes, I agree. You could look at a dozen different surveys and the results in most cases, would depend on the demographic and the number of people surveyed.

I have sailed on some lovely, interesting cruises with Azamara and Hurtigruten, however, as a solo traveller, Viking is not within my budget and Saga does not appeal to me.

The ‘Which’ survey does not reflect my own personal opinion. I posted with the intention of bringing a cruise related subject to the forum.

Comment

Its a UK survey of Which readers, if you look at how most cruise lines are markrting themselves and positioning themselves, its verging on useless, most of the reasons to support this statement have been given above,

Are P&O aiming to fill Iona with Which readers?

John

Comment

With 2 million cruisers the sample is very small.

We had a thread not so long ago on this subject with more details.

Some Which technical product comparisons are just as suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                        I agree Judith.

I remember giving our first cruise a first rate review. We have since sailed with many more cruise lines and have found our favourites. RCI (our first cruise) doesn't even feature in our top 5 now.
                        Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                          Its a UK survey of Which readers, if you look at how most cruise lines are markrting themselves and positioning themselves, its verging on useless, most of the reasons to support this statement have been given above,

Are P&O aiming to fill Iona with Which readers?

John
                          I accept the survey comprises of ‘Which’ readers. I have no particular allegiance to ‘Which’, apart from subscribing to their magazine and reading what I consider to be many interesting articles.. I apologise if, in your opinion and similar opinions of other forum members, the survey is verging on useless.

I have no inside knowledge of the profiles of ‘Which’ subscribers, or whether they will be attracted to sail on Iona. Personally, I am not enticed by the thought of sharing a ship with 5,200 passengers and sailing to the Fjords. Iona has many facilities and may be just the ship to attract Pand O regulars and others new to cruising.

If P and O are able to fill the ship with the offer of such a limited itinerary,, may I be one of the first to offer my congratulations.

Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 18th December 2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• Sian, Manchester
                            Sian, Manchester commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’ve recently been trying to book Iona for three friends and myself for October next year to the Canaries. The four of us usually have a girls’ get together cruise most years, we’re not quite at the Saga age but certainly wouldn’t qualify for Club 18 -30 either 😂. We always have a balcony but they’re all booked including the most expensive cabins. I guess the P&O regulars and newbies are excited at the prospect of the ship.
                            Last edited by Sian, Manchester; 20th December 2019, 01:49 AM. Reason: Type

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post

I accept the survey comprises of ‘Which’ readers. I have no particular allegiance to ‘Which’, apart from subscribing to their magazine and reading what I consider to be many interesting articles.. I apologise if, in your opinion and similar opinions of other forum members, the survey is verging on useless.

I have no inside knowledge of the profiles of ‘Which’ subscribers, or whether they will be attracted to sail on Iona. Personally, I am not enticed by the thought of sharing a ship with 5,200 passengers and sailing to the Fjords. Iona has many facilities and may be just the ship to attract Pand O regulars and others new to cruising.

If P and O are able to fill the ship with the offer of such a limited itinerary,, may I be one of the first to offer my congratulations.

I don't think that the Which survey is useless as such Blondie. I just think that as we on here all know, there is so much choice out there that we have to try different cruise lines in order to find what suits our requirements.

So many forum members enjoy the big ship experience, MSC, P & O etc but they are not for me. On the other hand, I'm a fan of Fred Olsen and many on here think the ships are too old, the cabins too small etc. C'est la vie.
                          Jill

Comment

I found the reliability of the whole thing questionable when Cruise and Maritime was listed as the same price per night as Azamara!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X