• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a passport required ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a passport required ?

We saw a short cruise from Southampton to the Channel Islands, and I wondered if a passport was required for this sailing ,also how about these around Britain cruises, which only include the British Isles ? [not Eire] CG
    sigpic

I know with FO, they will even accept a Bus Pass as acceptable government issued ID for RUK cruises.

Channel Islands is part of the Common Travel Area (CTA) and no passport is required but maybe a Cruise Line rule??

Annie

Comment

I think it's a cruise line rule, as I've needed one even when the ship has been going no where. It might be down to individual cruise lines as to what they except ...................................Carol

Comment

It is down to the cruiselines as to what documentation they accept.

On a number of events I have been fortunate to attend, a passport on some of the American lines has been the only option, no exceptions..............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I would say yes as they need some form of photo Id to let you on the ship

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
            I would say yes as they need some form of photo Id to let you on the ship
            A driving licence is acceptable by airlines in lieu of a passport for UK flights.

However I guessed the cruise line could be P&O and according to their website it states a passport.

Annie

Comment

i have done 3 RB cruises and they pop into Southern ireland ,channel Isles and on the last one France and on all 3 we were advised that passports were advisable,

jim

Comment

Passport Used for I D when registering on boarding

Comment

When we did a one night Beatles celebration in Liverpool last year, we were specifically told that we would not be allowed to board without our passports.

I think it's just a security thing CG but as others have said, maybe not all cruise lines insist upon it.
                  Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                    When we did a one night Beatles celebration in Liverpool last year, we were specifically told that we would not be allowed to board without our passports.

I think it's just a security thing CG but as others have said, maybe not all cruise lines insist upon it.
                    Yes, the same with a day visit to HAL in South Queensferry- no passport, no visit.
                    Jo.

Comment

I have done a mini cruise from Southampton to St Peter Port in Guernsey and a passport was most definitely required.

Comment

A passport is usually required as ID. Not all Round the British Isle cruises sail out of the country. I was on one in June and we sailed out of Amsterdam. However, I did request to disembark in Dover to save the bother of a flight home.
                        2018-
                        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Thanks for all the advice just wondered! as you all say it is down to the cruiselines. CG
                          sigpic

Comment

If you travel to the Channel Islands and the weather get foggy or stormy they may have to divert to France and, as people have found out, no passport then no leaving the terminal to go to a hotel. A Colleague had to sleep in Dinard terminal on her way back to Guernsey after a day working in Jersey

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X