• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southamton new terminal named.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southamton new terminal named.

https://www.abports.co.uk/news-and-m...uise-terminal/

ABP today announces its fifth world-class, open access cruise terminal is to be named Horizon Cruise Terminal.

Great name for a Cruise Terminal .................................................. .......Carol

Comment

Bit dull though?Sounds like it's sponsored by a travel company ,which is true in a way as NCL and MSC are part footing the bill.
      How about naming it after a famous Southampton resident like Benny Hill or Ken Russell instead?😀

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
        Bit dull though?Sounds like it's sponsored by a travel company ,which is true in a way as NCL and MSC are part footing the bill.
        How about naming it after a famous Southampton resident like Benny Hill or Ken Russell instead?😀
        Or Matt Le Tissier

Comment

Rishi Sunak or John Jellicoe - no contest JMO

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Rishi Sunak or John Jellicoe - no contest JMO

Annie
            He probably paid for the terminal. He's funded everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post

Or Matt Le Tissier
              Great player and played all his career for Southampton but he was born in Guernsey. You could argue that his adopted place...

Comment

Or Matt Le Tissier

Great player and played all his career for Southampton but he was born in Guernsey. You could argue that it's his adopted place...

Comment

Great player and played all his career for Southampton but he was born in Guernsey. You could argue that it's his adopted place...
                  I don't want to split hairs but you did suggest resident. You don't have to be born in a place to be a resident of it. Lesson over.

Comment

I don't want to split hairs but you did suggest resident. You don't have to be born in a place to be a resident of it. Lesson over.
                    Indeed I did I meant to say Southampton born ,my mistake. However, he resides in Winchester.
                    Jane Austen "resided" in Southampton for 2 years so she could be in the running...
                    She didn't score quite as many goals though...

Comment

Not sure the Benny Hill Cruise Terminal would have the same ring. It would raise a few laughs, though not probably what they are aiming at.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Not sure the Benny Hill Cruise Terminal would have the same ring. It would raise a few laughs, though not probably what they are aiming at.
                        I was being facetious, hence my smiley face,but Horizon is a bit dull in my view

Comment

There is a danger these days in naming anything after a person living or dead. Name changes have been demanded because someone, or their ancestors, owned slaves. Last night on our news students were agitating for a building to be renamed because the person concerned had her photo taken with Donald Trump. In their opinion, this made her racist and anti gay, simply by association. The family is one of the wealthiest in Canada and has a long history of philanthropy, supporting a wide range of causes and has several buildings named after them. There has never been any known association with Trump apart from this reportedly chance meeting in a restaurant.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                            There is a danger these days in naming anything after a person living or dead. Name changes have been demanded because someone, I think or their ancestors, owned slaves. Last night on our news students were agitating for a building to be renamed because the person concerned had her photo taken with Donald Trump. In their opinion, this made her racist and anti gay, simply by association. The family is one of the wealthiest in Canada and has a long history of philanthropy, supporting a wide range of causes and has several buildings named after them. There has never been any known association with Trump apart from this reportedly chance meeting in a restaurant.

Sheila
                            I think people need to treat what happened in the past as history to learn from, but not a just cause to break the law, vandalise statues or demand for them to be removed, otherwise we probably would not have any statues left around the world. Most of Italy's monuments would need to be destroyed, for example which is their heritage monuments.

We all know slavery was very wrong. We don't need people to tear down statues or buildings to teach us this.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X