• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which UK ports have you used and which do you prefer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which UK ports have you used and which do you prefer?

Following a post from Smith7 it got me thinking which UK ports I've used.

I've started and finished cruises Southampton, Dover, Tilbury, Newcastle and Liverpool (old Langton Dock Terminal/shed). I've visited many others as ports of call.

So far my favourite is probably Dover which we've used many times and never had a bad experience. Parking is close to the terminal and there is a great little café within the terminal if you arrive before boarding commences.

Which is the best UK terminal?
    Cruising my way through life!

Sue

I have used tilbury once, a pain to get there from surrey, in the end taxi all the way.

the other 5 cruises used southampton, only moan about southampton it is so hard to get a taxi for a short trip within southampton to the cruise terminal. Travelled there by various means and locations. Not too keen on flying.

Now what would win me over if a large cruise ran a shuttle coach round the local hotels & redfunnel to collect passengers that had stayed overnight [booked in advance to save visiting hotels with no pickups,perhaps incur a small charge to cover costs]

other ports like dover, bristol, liverpool too far to travel unless not other similar cruise togo on.

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
      Following a post from Smith7 it got me thinking which UK ports I've used.

I've started and finished cruises Southampton, Dover, Tilbury, Newcastle and Liverpool (old Langton Dock Terminal/shed). I've visited many others as ports of call.

So far my favourite is probably Dover which we've used many times and never had a bad experience. Parking is close to the terminal and there is a great little café within the terminal if you arrive before boarding commences.

Which is the best UK terminal?
      I have sailed on a Fjords cruise from Harwich. Cannot comment on terminal as train to ship 15 or 20 minutes.

I have arrived at Dover - spent 20 minutes there awaiting my transfer to LHR. I did comment on another board, very few taxis around.

Harwich was the better experience.

Annie

Comment

Just Harwich and Southampton, I preferred Harwich, same drive time but easier because there is less traffic?
        Either are better than Manchester airport?...Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Actually, I forgot to mention Tilbury when I listed the ports we've sailed from in the UK.

So now it's Southampton, Dover, Portsmouth, Tilbury, Avonmouth, Liverpool, Newcastle & Harwich.

If I had to choose a favourite for us, it would be Harwich. It is fairly easy to get to, takes us just over 2 hours and the parking is easy.

In fact, on our first cruise from Harwich the parking was free.
          Jill

Comment

Portsmouth .......would be a great place to cruise from, easy to get too and a decent terminal, did brittany ferries to france from there once, the coasta cafe there had the best coffee I think I have ever had.

Would not be too keen on Dover that motorway there from the m25 is always chokka and so many dangerous overtakes by foriegn HGV;s

Comment

Best Harwich, worst Leith. Harwich is friendly and welcoming, Leith is chaos.

Comment

Harwich a pain. Takes hours from here. When we last went (2010?) terminal was just a marquee and no proper system. Southampton is probably our best bet, other than Bristol for distance but not much there.

Comment

I've only done Southampton, suits us. Very easy to get to................................................ .................................................. ......Carol

Comment

We've only used Southampton for cruises so far (apart from the fly cruises)
                    We would probably use any of the others dependant on the cruise. It would be great if Portsmouth had a few more departures; 5 miles from our front door!
                    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

We've used Dover twice and it was fine, but we prefer Southampton because that's only 200+ miles rather than 300+ to Dover.

Comment

Dover, along time ago and more recently Harwich but Southampton most frequently....needs must!

Harwich was an easier drive for us and we found it very quick and efficient. I am rather sad that Celebrity Cruises have now stopped using it.

Comment

I've used Southampton and Dover (and Liverpool when I was 3 which I don't remember!)Dover facilities seemed a little lacking to me but it was 2001.Definitely want to sail from Liverpool when possible.Do do quite a lot of fly cruises quite like Barcelona.Southampton ok just a bit of a pig to get to and queues aren't great.

Comment

All the southern ports are within 2.5hours, 2hr on a good day.

Dover is fine but has problems with bigger ships in Bad weather due to the harbor entrance.
                            if we do a stay we chose Canterbury and drive down in the morning.

Harwich is another that is fine to Embark if you can get there OK not too bad for us parking good and embarkations have been quick.
                            not found a overnight option yet but not looked hard.

Quite like Tilbury our nearest(<1.5hr) and undercover parking but the facilities are limited

Southampton is the best all rounder with good transport links to the main airports(LHR,LGW) for open Jaw cruises like TA's.
                            (Portsmouth would fit if there were cruises)

Sure the right trip at the right price would have us look at other places further away and take some pre/post cruise time.

Comment

Only ever used Southampton, other than one fly cruise, always travel down to Southampton day before and stay overnight, can never trust the M25.

Live within 20 minutes of Harwich often visit, but have never sailed from Harwich.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X