• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking in Dubai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post
    Having watched the various Customs programmes on TV (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai and UK) I am amazed at the stupidity of passengers who think they can get away with trying to bring forbidden items through in the hope they will not be discovered. They lie and brazenly defy signage which should be clearly evident regardless of what language they speak. Passenger cards in their own language clearly state questions to which 'yes' or 'no' is the only answer, yet they do not divulge what they have, and they often become abusive and aggressive with officers. Likewise, Immigration services have to listen to the most ridiculous stories when documentation is wrong or faked. It is amazing how these people think they will get away with it!
    I have been subjected to a couple of closer scrutiny inspections - once on Malvinas day in Argentina and once on arrival in Japan. I had o/w tickets for both journeys. Maybe I fitted some type of profile - generously I will say middle aged female travelling solo??

The Argentinian inspection was especially amusing as it occurred pre-boarding the flight and I recall a minimum of 4 officers (1 female).

They inspected the suitcase and found nothing but were puzzled why I was flying o/w from Brazil to Argentina until I produced my cruise documentation. We all shook hands at the end.

The Japanese inspection also focused on a female passenger travelling solo. They just didn't understand it. Again once I produced my travel folder/itinerary the inspection ceased.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      I have been subjected to a couple of closer scrutiny inspections - once on Malvinas day in Argentina and once on arrival in Japan. I had o/w tickets for both journeys. Maybe I fitted some type of profile - generously I will say middle aged female travelling solo??

The Argentinian inspection was especially amusing as it occurred pre-boarding the flight and I recall a minimum of 4 officers (1 female).

They inspected the suitcase and found nothing but were puzzled why I was flying o/w from Brazil to Argentina until I produced my cruise documentation. We all shook hands at the end.

The Japanese inspection also focused on a female passenger travelling solo. They just didn't understand it. Again once I produced my travel folder/itinerary the inspection ceased.

Annie
      Our daughter flew out to Canada yesterday on a business trip, spending a week at her company's head office.

She also came under close scrutiny from customs security at both Heathrow and Calgary on arrival in Canada.

She never experienced this on her previous visit.
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
        Not only Dubai.....never argue with any customs officials if you want to leave or enter any country
        Hi andyn,

No worries there for sure. Never have done and never intend to in the future.

Bob

Comment

I read another article about the case yesterday. It seems that the woman's passport had expired. She tried to use her second passport, and was told she needed to apply for another visa. That is when she started arguing.

I know exactly when my passport runs out, and when I need to get a replacement.
          2018-
          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Dubai is the most relaxed of all of the Arab countries and as far as I am aware does not routinely breathalyze citizens or visitors.

Commit an offence, antagonize an official or be disrespectful to the country and you may well be held by the police. Not too different to most countries. Fine to drink on the plane, find to drink in your hotel but have a road traffic accident expect to be breathalyzed and punished if found to have any alcohol in your system.

Resident expatriates are able to obtain a booze permit and purchase alcohol for consumption at home.

Similar in Oman.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X