• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking in Dubai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking in Dubai

Hi All,

An unfolding article in The Mail on Line is documenting the arrest and now release in Dubai of a lady from UK for having alcohol in her blood. The arrest seems to have followed on from a disagreement with an immigration official at the airport.

The alcohol in the form of a glass of wine was supplied on an Emirates flight and not consumed in the country. I also understand that alcohol is consumed in hotels in the country and was under the impression a blind eye was turned.

I'll declare a vested interest as we fly to Dubai next year to cruise the Arabian Gulf. I like a drink on the flight out on holiday and also pre-dinner and during-dinner drinks on the ship. Surely there would be some small amount of alcohol in my blood as we go ashore the next day. I have no intention of consuming alcohol whilst ashore.

I'm all for obeying the laws of any country I visit but this doesn't seem at all cut and dry. It's started me thinking about whether I really want to go now and wonder what impact this will have on the many other folks planning a cruise to the UAE.

Would this affect any of your plans regards taking holidays in that part of the world?

Cheers.

Bob

Bobby there is more to this story than meets the eye. Reading between the lines she had more than 'one' drink, filmed the customs officer on her phone whilst being 'interviewed'.

I have been to Dubai a number of times now, the last time 6 or 7 months age, drank the complimentary alcohol on every flight, and consumed the incredibly expensive beers in many hotels.

Don't let this tabloid hype put you off. The price of a beer probably will though at £13 a pint in our hotel Jumeriah Towers.........Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

According to the Mail, her blood alcohol level was low, well within the UK driving limit. I thought Dubai had a more liberal attitude towards alcohol. I wasn't in any hurry to go back there before I read this. Even less keen now.

Comment

From what I have read it was photographing the airport officials that caused the problem. We have been to Dubai several times and enjoyed a drink in the bar in business class with Emirates and even in economy as have been served complimentary alcohol. It is very expensive to buy alcohol in Dudmbsi so if you l7ke a drink it is worth loik7ng for a hotel eith complimentary drinks served in lounge if you book a club room. You also get nibbles which are very nice.

Comment

Does it not strike anyone how odd that hundreds of thousands of people pass through DBX, have a drink on the plane without any problems, and one women gets put in a cell for having low alcohol levels in her blood.

Where does the blame lie? Officialdom or a woman with an attitude problem?..............Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

She argued with airport officials about the validity of her visa and then started filming them which gave them the excuse they needed to be difficult. I don't think the glass of wine on the plane was ever the cause of her being arrested. I am going to Dubai on a cruise stop shortly but won't be buying beer at those prices.

Comment

Given the ease with which we entered Dubai earlier this year I admit I am bemused at this story. There was no restrictions on the Emirates flight and we never noticed the absence of alcoholic drinks in Dubai centre.

It is clear that bad attitude to officials was the real story here.

It brings to mind the story many years ago of a violin player who, when asked at a major airport, told them his violin case contained a machine gun - jokingly. It resulted in a major armed security response and his arrest.

Understandably if you are on a land based holiday the absence/cost of alcohol may be an issue but on the cruise there was no change in access, even in port.

So enjoy the Gulf.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks.

I do appreciate that there's more to this than meets the eye and that perhaps the lady in question had done herself no favours in her response to the immigration official. That said, and tabloid hype aside, if the law of the country is that if you are found to have alcohol in your blood then you're likely to go to jail, whilst at the same time allowing people to consume the stuff, then I still feel wary.

Bob

Comment

The story keeps popping up on Facebook. It seems that the nub of the problem was that her visa wasn't in order.

I've only flown to Dubai to board a ship, had some wine on the flight, and not had a problem!
                  2018-
                  Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                  NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                  Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                  Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                  Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Some believe there are fairly strict dress codes as well.

Go hang out at the the Mall of the Emirates(the one with ski Dubai) one evening.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbybuoy, peterborough View Post
                      Thanks for the replies folks.

I do appreciate that there's more to this than meets the eye and that perhaps the lady in question had done herself no favours in her response to the immigration official. That said, and tabloid hype aside, if the law of the country is that if you are found to have alcohol in your blood then you're likely to go to jail, whilst at the same time allowing people to consume the stuff, then I still feel wary.

Bob
                      Bobby I think you are reading far too much into this. Enjoy Dubai for what it is, like the hundreds of thousands of UK visitors each year who have never had a problem............Wilba
                      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                        Bobby I think you are reading far too much into this. Enjoy Dubai for what it is, like the hundreds of thousands of UK visitors each year who have never had a problem............Wilba
                        Hi Wilba,

Thanks for your replies. I had anticipated from the outset you would reply and encourage us to go and enjoy the experience. The story is still unfolding and I still find it a bit disconcerting but for sure the Dubai authorities would not want to discourage western tourists... as long as we behave ourselves of course.

I want to enjoy the trip and fully expect not to cancel as a result of this story. I certainly won't be arguing with anyone, that's for sure.

Cheers

Bob

Comment

Not only Dubai.....never argue with any customs officials if you want to leave or enter any country

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                            Not only Dubai.....never argue with any customs officials if you want to leave or enter any country

Correct! Always play a straight bat with them wherever you go in the world, especially in the states. Petty bureaucrats are everywhere and you have to humour them I guess. That woman’s visa had expired and she thought she could blag her way in by offering to buy one there. My hubby ALWAYS checks our documentation meticulously when we plan any trip. It doesn’t take much to screw up. I remember when we we staying in Es Cana in Ibiza and were chatting to a woman at our hotel. It turns out they came on holiday without one of their children who had to be left with a relative at the last minute because the child’s passport had expired and they didn’t realise it till they got to the airport. If you ever read of a Glaswegian murdering his or her parents because they didn’t get to go on holiday as a child you’ll know why!

Take care, Helen

Comment

Having watched the various Customs programmes on TV (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai and UK) I am amazed at the stupidity of passengers who think they can get away with trying to bring forbidden items through in the hope they will not be discovered. They lie and brazenly defy signage which should be clearly evident regardless of what language they speak. Passenger cards in their own language clearly state questions to which 'yes' or 'no' is the only answer, yet they do not divulge what they have, and they often become abusive and aggressive with officers. Likewise, Immigration services have to listen to the most ridiculous stories when documentation is wrong or faked. It is amazing how these people think they will get away with it!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X