• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dubai..... customs, perscription meds, stepping in poppy seed etc scares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dubai..... customs, perscription meds, stepping in poppy seed etc scares

Hello

Am looking at RCI Barcelona Dubai 30 Apr but have read so many scare stories regarding Dubai customs/security that I am in 2 minds as whether to book.

I'm on prescription meds which include codine and hormones (diff meds), does anyone hve experience of taking meds to/through Dubai ? How scarey is the airport/security? is there really as many strip searches/arrests/urine/blood sampling as the internet makes out?

I don't do illegal drugs but knowing my luck will have a poppy seed stuck in the sole of my shoe as I depart the ship, have the wrong sort of books with me, a telescopic camera lens that looks like a weapon and the wrong documentation for my painkillers!

I'd appreciate some honest feedback as to transfer/airport experience, esp interested if people have travelled with prescription meds.

Cheers
    H
    Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

I've been to Dubai twice recently and on both occasions have taken a copy of my prescription meds (photo copy supplied by chemist) and have not been queried or challenged with them in my hand luggage.

In fact on both trips all four of us were all carrying meds............none of us were even asked about them.

I wouldn't give it another thought..........Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
      I've been to Dubai twice recently and on both occasions have taken a copy of my prescription meds (photo copy supplied by chemist) and have not been queried or challenged with them in my hand luggage.

In fact on both trips all four of us were all carrying meds............none of us were even asked about them.

I wouldn't give it another thought..........Wilba
      Thanks, there's so many horror stories on the web but never the happy ones!
      Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

Comment

We were there last year and in 2010 on two occasions. The queuse were horrendous at passport control, but went through customs with no problem. I wouldn't worry they know what they looking for when it comes to drugs.
        It seems to me that rudeness is the refuge of the incompetent

Comment

The UAE Embassy Web Page has a list of FAQ which provides a lot of useful info.

Embassy of the UAE in London � FAQs

Like Wilba has said, be sure to have a copy of any prescribed medications however I am under the impression that you cannot take anything containing Codine into the country.

Also any medication has to be in original packaging/boxes.
          Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 22nd February 2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

We go to Dubai a lot as family live there. OH takes his current prescription for his medicines. Never had any problems with getting into the country except for the horrendous immigration queues late at night when a lot of the flights get in. Got to grit your teeth and wait but watch out for any Russians trying to queue jump - seriously. Leaving the country, the security is frankly almost non-existent compared to what we have in the UK. Enjoy your stay

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X