• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part of world cruise help with Shore tours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of world cruise help with Shore tours

Hi I am taking my elderly father on Queen Mary 2 in April 2012 and we fly to Sinapore and visit:

Phuket
    Cochin India
    Dubai
    Muscat Oman

Is it safe to do you own tours? Any recommendations would be good

We have been to all the places you mention and have indeed 'done our own thing' in all ports--Dubai very modern and safe, Muscat is delightful with a lovely waterfront and the souks (very crowded) Phuket similar and Cochin very charming---make sure you see the fishing that goes on there--be prepared for the smell. We haggle with a taxi driver --and ask for a guided trip--How long? we ask--generall going for 3 hours is adequate and they only get paid when they get you back to the drop off point for the ship (we have even been taken to the Gangway!) Have a great cruise. We had Cabin 8001 on the QM2 a few years ago soon after she was launched---it is right next to the Library--and what a Library!!

Comment

Originally posted by JC, Norwich View Post
      Hi I am taking my elderly father on Queen Mary 2 in April 2012 and we fly to Sinapore and visit:

Phuket
      Cochin India
      Dubai
      Muscat Oman

Is it safe to do you own tours? Any recommendations would be good
      We did the, 'Waterways of Kerala,' tour from Cochin. This would be impossible to do on your own due to the distance form the port.

However, it is not at all a strenuous tour.

You can take in all the sights and sounds en route and then you transfer to a boat which takes you into, and around, the backwaters. The word 'backwaters' is a misnomer..................they are absolutely beautiful. The insight into how people live in this area was an unforgettable experience.

It was among the best tours that we have taken. We too are DIY enthusiasts as that usually means that we can do and see what we want, with advance planning. However, this was a tour not to be missed.

We just fell in love with India straight away and then we were lucky to also visit Mumbai. So different but just as memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
        We did the, 'Waterways of Kerala,' tour from Cochin. This would be impossible to do on your own due to the distance form the port.

However, it is not at all a strenuous tour.

You can take in all the sights and sounds en route and then you transfer to a boat which takes you into, and around, the backwaters. The word 'backwaters' is a misnomer..................they are absolutely beautiful. The insight into how people live in this area was an unforgettable experience.

It was among the best tours that we have taken. We too are DIY enthusiasts as that usually means that we can do and see what we want, with advance planning. However, this was a tour not to be missed.

We just fell in love with India straight away and then we were lucky to also visit Mumbai. So different but just as memorable.
        We did a land-based holiday in Kerala about five years ago and would agree that it's a wonderful experience and the sight of a crcket pitch bordered on both sides by river is a sight to remember. The folk living in the backwaters were very shy but welcoming. A must for your itinerary.
        Phuket is a great place very vibrant, we did a trip to James Bond island by speedboat but it was very choppy and a lot of people felt seasick, but I think we may have been unlucky. We've aslo done an island tour which is good.
        We had a landbased four-night break in Dubai and the highlight of that is the 4 x 4 Dune trip to the desert if time allows - it's brilliant and culminates in a barbecue with a glass of wine. I had my hands hennered (if that's the terminology), went to a camel farm and, coupled with the white knuckle ride in the dunes, it was very good value. Can't help with Muscat I'm afraid. regards, Brigit.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
        X