• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petra?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petra?

I know Petra is in Jordan, but this is the closest topic I could find. We are sailing Athens to Dubai in October and have had conflicting advice on visiting Petra. One friend said it is amazing and not to be missed. Several others have said it is a very long and uncomfortable day and so crowded when you get there you can't see anything much. I have back problems and I'm concerned about undertaking a long journey over rough roads.

Dubai worries me a bit. I plan to meet a friend from another ship. Am I likely to be arrested for hugging him in public?

I know I can read the Foreign Office advice, but any opinions greatly appreciated. Judith

I visited Petra some years ago on an excursion from Aqaba. From where the coaches park there is a fairly long walk down to where the ruins are along a dirt track with high rock faces on either side (think of the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). As it has quite a slope I found the walk back uphill after the visit was quite a slog, but then I'm not the fittest of people. One thing I would definitely advise is carrying water with you.

To me the ruins were definitely worth the trek. We had an excellent guide, though, who was actually born in one of the caves and he really made the place come alive for us.
    Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

When we visited it was a long day because we did Wadi Rum on the way there. The road to Petra is good and not at all bumpy, however the walk from the car park down into the gorge to see the Treasury can be uneven in places and what you don't take into consideration is its all downhill on the way in. Some of the rock formations in the gorge are absolutely amazing and as History Addict has said its definitely worth the trek if you are fit enough to do it.
      There are various forms of transport on offer if you don't want to walk right the way down to the main areas, these are or were included in the entrance ticket but I would imagine that the keenness of the handlers would suggest a nice tip would be welcome at the terminus. We were told there are apparently over 700 horses, donkeys, camels & mules all working at the site and their handlers are on you as soon as you walk through the gates but as we had been on the ship for 4 sea days we really needed to walk. The first stage of the walk down takes you along a winding track down to an area called The Siq which the entrance to the narrow gorge which leads you on to the city.

www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

I think the above is a good summary, you can walk down from the visitor centre through the siq to the treasury it takes around 40 minutes and then you can wander as you wish and leave sufficient time to walk back up, its a long slow gentle rise all the way back, quite a few people struggled but everyone made it, just leave enogh time.

You can get a horse and carriage up and down but they are very uncomfortable, you do get a horse ride up and down included in the ticket price but you are expected to tip, I don't know how much as we walked

In my view it's a must see, just take your time.

As to Dubai, visited many times and never had issues.

Hope this helps

John

Comment

Just realised it is 20 years since we were there . We were both a lot fitter than we are now so didn't find it too much of a problem then , Did find it amazing and worth the walk . Looking back now I am so glad we did these trips then, when we could .

Comment

Thanks all for your responses. I'm not sure I could manage the walk, over rough ground, in the heat. I should probably have visited 20 years ago!

Comment

Some cruises are a few days in Aqaba and you can arrange custom transport and tour.
              Friend did petra on a land trip and it took them 2 days to do it properly, it is a very big site and a lot to see.

On the day trips from ships you do a long walk and get a glimpse of what is there.

Last time we were in Aqaba(Nov) we stayed in town 2 days
              Plenty of restaurants and we went to carrefour they have a very good spice and nut section at reasonable prices.

Dubai go to the malls in the evening and see people out for meals, younger ones in standard western clothes plenty with the trendy midrift showing.

Suez are nice cruse and great value for money if you like ship time with the sea days.

Take insect repellent flies can be annoying when out on deck(most don't bite they just get in your beer).
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks for the advice TD. It is all new to us, and wasn't even on the bucket list. But it was a good deal!

Comment

Petra is on my bucket list! I don’t know how well I’d manage it, but I would certainly give it a go. I fell in love with the location the first time I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. What can I tell you? I adored both Harrison Ford and Sean Connery back then. 😉. A woman I work with goes to Dubai all the time to visit her daughter who works there so I can’t imagine you will have any problems there.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
                    Petra is on my bucket list! I don’t know how well I’d manage it, but I would certainly give it a go. I fell in love with the location the first time I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. What can I tell you? I adored both Harrison Ford and Sean Connery back then. 😉. A woman I work with goes to Dubai all the time to visit her daughter who works there so I can’t imagine you will have any problems there.

Take care, Helen
                    Thanks Helen. One hears such scary things about conduct that is an offence in UAE. We are only there a short time so I want to get things right! As for Petra I would love to see it, but not at the expense of wrecking my back. Perhaps I should stay on board.

Comment

We have been to Aqaba twice but never been to Petra. The first time we went we did wadi rum which we really enjoyed. I was surprised at how cold it was in the desert though. I know it get cold during the night but was not prepared for the temperature to be so different from the coast during the day. The second time I wasn't sure if I would be able to manage the walk as I have a lot of problems with my feet so we had a look round the town instead. The taxi drivers were awful. They swarmed on us as we got off the shuttle bus. One lady from the ship went off in a taxi on her own to Petra which I thought was very foolish but she returned unscathed so maybe I was being over cautious. Most of those who had gone by coach were very tired when they got back. Some had enjoyed it, others not so keen. It was nice and quiet on the ship as almost everyone had gone somewhere.

We have been to Dubai several times and not had any problems. Not sure about the hugging, I probably wouldn't risk it. I prefer the area around the creek to the vast shopping malls. They are very cold with the aircon blasting out. We enjoyed wandering around the old town area, interesting museums and souks.
                      As top deck mentioned, lots of flies when sailing through the Suez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                        I

Dubai worries me a bit. I plan to meet a friend from another ship. Am I likely to be arrested for hugging him in public?
                        I'd definitely recommend that you DO NOT have sex with them in public!
                        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We have enjoyed Dubai several times before and after cruises and never had any problems apart from the heat. Shopping malls provided a welcome respite. One thing that stays in my memory is a queue of black robed women waiting for a new Victoria's Secret store to open. That was more memorable than a ski slope with penguins inside a mall when it was over 100 degrees outside. The architecture in the modern area is spectacular, especially when contrasted with the souk area around the creek.

Sheila

Comment

I remember Maggie covering it on one of her World cruise blogs if you can find it.
                            if you are on Fb someone had just posted loads of photos in a Royal Caribbean forum from Spectrum of the seas. It looks absolutely rammed with tourists!

Comment

We were in Petra last month , a wonderful not to be missed experience.
                              we took the ships excursion about 2and a half hours to get there with one stop at a shop with WiFi.
                              we walked down to Petra through the Siq , I'd look at a lot of utube videos and I kind of knew what to expect but I was amazed by what I saw.
                              the walk down is easy but make sure you have enough time to walk back it is a bit of a climb, our friend had a hard time of it.
                              plenty of water and rest stops .
                              there are golf buggies that take people back but I've no idea of the cost.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X