• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tango Nights in Buenos Aires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tango Nights in Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires is undoubtedly the Tango capital of the World and no visitor to the city can escape its influence and spectacle, as well as its amazing entertainment value.

By day it can be witnessed at many of the tourist hot spots...

...but to really appreciate this passion that the Argentinian's have for the Tango it is the nights for which it is truly amazing. My wife and I had three nights in which to cram as much of the experience as we could and this is the tale of how we did it.

It has been difficult to capture all the colour, sound and atmosphere that we experienced so I would urge readers who would like to see higher quality images and sounds to make full use of the Tango Porteno link below.

Our first and third evenings were spent in and around the San Telmo district and, in particular, our favourite spot, the Plaza Dorrego.

Our second evening was to see us visiting a one of the many 'Tango Shows' on offer in the city. They come in all shapes, sizes and price ranges. As this would be our only chance to see this type of show, we decided to book with Tango Porteno, the largest and most popular of the many show venues...

Tango Porteño

We chose the VIP Dinner Show package at US $255.00 per person, a package that included, chauffeur service from our hotel and return on completion,...

...An hours tango lesson...

....though we actually chose to skip this and utilise the time to acquainting ourselves with the various aspects of what is a very grand theatre: one that has been lovingly renovated to recreate the golden days, refinement and décor of a bye gone age.

A champagne reception and prime seats with uninterrupted views...

and a 3 course dinner with excellent Argentinian steak...

...before the commencement of the show and included unlimited drinks of your choice throughout the evening.

Of course lighting and movement aren't the best aids to good photography but I hope these photographs and few short clips below will give some idea as to the show content...

But it is the show that really makes the evening and no other venue in Buenos Aires boasts such a large cast and orchestra...

Porteno Tango Show Buenos Aires - YouTube

Portino Tango with vocal - YouTube

Again, TangoPortino's official website (above) have outstanding professional photographs.

There are many venues, particularly in the San Telmo district where shows are available. This Youtube clip gives the atmosphere in a smaller establishment...

Tango-show Buenos Aires. Argentina - YouTube

Our other two evenings were spent out in the heart of the Tango culture, San Telmo. Indeed, so vibrant was the area we discovered on our first soiree, we returned for our final evening.

By day the Plaza Dorrego would pass as a normal open café square...

...except on Sundays of course when it transforms into a hive of Tango activity...

(above photo courtesy of Helge Høifødt)

By night it is a bustling open air restaurant served by numerous kitchens on its four sides. Tango couples tour the area giving a variety of displays...

Live Tango in Plaza Dorrego, Buenos Aires - YouTube

I know it was dark but some members will have noticed the dancer in the above clip as the same one that featured in one of my previous offerings on Buenos Aires...

Beautiful mover I'm sure all will agree.

Brilliant, Richard - I really enjoyed that!!!

Cheers,
    Lynn

Comment

It looks like great fun and I do love a good Tango.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Derby, Derby View Post
        Brilliant, Richard - I really enjoyed that!!!

Cheers,
        Lynn
        Thanks Lynn. I'd be the first to admit it is not one of my better ones, difficult capturing the the movements with the wrong camera.

Still, if it gets the flavour of Buenos Aires by night across, then the job is done.

Have a nice weekend, mine's about to start.

Comment

Makes me want to visit BA and watch those lovely dancers!

Comment

Originally posted by cruisedreams, Thirsk View Post
            Makes me want to visit BA and watch those lovely dancers!
            Aw come on CruiseDreams, you don't have to go that far.

Friday and Tuesday nights at lee on the Solent.

Comment

You cannot beat a good milonga. More popular than one would imagine.

Comment

US255
                And you get to see an over rated touristy tango show
                - much better to head to the local tango clubs and meet the real argentinians.
                Why go to tango porteno when it tours the world constantly
                - far too commercial that it loses impact
                A fool and his money are easily parted I suppose.

Comment

How I agree Richard , I know where I's rather be and it's not in a stuffy old tango club , but in BA with the latin flavour and sizzling atmosphere, no one I ever met can do the Tango like these people, as for a fool and his money , that' Horse burger's opinion I really feel sorry f that you have to make that sort of comment, no pockets in shrouds!!
                  People can spend their money how they wish without that sort of comment CG
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                    How I agree Richard , I know where I's rather be and it's not in a stuffy old tango club , but in BA with the latin flavour and sizzling atmosphere, no one I ever met can do the Tango like these people, as for a fool and his money , that' Horse burger's opinion I really feel sorry f that you have to make that sort of comment, no pockets in shrouds!!
                    Yes people have the choice where to spend their dosh etc.
                    When I referred to local clubs I meant local to BsAs.
                    Seems you know a lot about stuffy old clubs - have you been to one?
                    But do we really have to hear how much everything costs in Solent Richard's posts?
                    Sounds to me as if he needs some sort of self assurance and by telling folk that he spends 100s of USDs on an evening out seems to satisfy this need.
                    Sad really

Comment

I find it quite helpful that SR puts the price on his posts, I don't think he needs reassuring about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                        Originally posted by cruisedreams, Thirsk View Post
                        I find it quite helpful that SR puts the price on his posts, I don't think he needs reassuring about anything.
                        Thanks for that Cornish Girl and CruiseDreams.

I'll ignore the old nag, obviously been in the freezer too long.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X