• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating out in Montevideo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating out in Montevideo

One of the highlights of our recent Antarctic Cruise on Celebrity Infinity was a return call to Montevideo.

Where else better than to sample the delights of Uraguayan Beef and where better a venue to enjoy the experience than at the Mercado del Puerto...

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercado_del_Puerto&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMercado%2Bdel%2BPuerto%26hl%3Den%26rl z%3D1T4WZPC_enGB354GB354&sa=X&ei=9houUdOmLvOz0QXl5 YDgDw&ved=0CFoQ7gEwBg

Just a five minute walk from the port entrance this amazing building and its myriad of restaurants is pure theatre for food lovers.

Folklore has a variety of reasons on how the original building came about but once inside credence is certainly given to the story that it was a built from a British made kit for a railway station that didn't quite reach its intended destination.

That's the entrance over there, hard to miss and on the main thoroughfare if one is walking into Montevideo...

Once on the inside it is easy to see how the 'railway station' theory came about, the heavily arching sectioned roof and the central clock. ...

The floor is just a mass of individual restaurants. High end, low end and many dine at the bar facilities - great for watching your food get cooked on the BBQ fires...

...and that is exactly where we chose to sit, at the bar, in the heat, and watching everything get cooked...

Even managed to get a CD Badge into the picture. Another donantion for the RNLI...

Being great carnivores, what else than two of the best Tenderloins...

...light on the fries but wow, what a great sauce on the side...

No doubt the men amongst the members noticed the local girls over my shoulder on the picture fourth above. Well look what they were about to have, kind of a mixed Barbie I guess..

Tuck in girls, it all looks great...

Not to mention other delightful dishes That went flashing past our eyes...

Yes, they even did seafood...

What a brilliant way to spend two hours in Montevideo without dashing back to join the buffet queue.

And now we come to the amazing bit, that little lot and those beers came to...

Yes, $61.00.

PS. The Tip box was on on the bar. The team were very grateful.
    Last edited by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent; 28th February 2013, 10:34 AM. Reason: added the PS

Great photo's Richard it takes me back to when we were there, we had a wonderful lunch we were also invited to try a glass of wine at several of the dining areas,
    They had a huge array of barbecued offerings and as you say the heat was quite fierce when sitting at the bar , quite an experience.
    We then went on to buy a set of pictures from the street sellers featuring the tango dancers, Gaucho's and an old taxi which are hanging up in our hallway, good memories.CG
    sigpic

Comment

Wow,

Almost perfect timing Richard. It's nearly time for lunch.

What a bargain! That meat looked fantastic. My mouth is watering now.

Vinny
      sigpic

Comment

My grandson is steaming across the Atlantic bound for Brazil Argentina and Montevideo he is looking forward to a big steak,I sall mention this place to him.Cannot remember that building being there way back in 1955.

Jim

Comment

Wow,that place looks AMAZING! i would love to visit,it looks so vibrant.(food looks great also) well done again Richard. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
            My grandson is steaming across the Atlantic bound for Brazil Argentina and Montevideo he is looking forward to a big steak,I sall mention this place to him.Cannot remember that building being there way back in 1955.

Jim
            1868 Jim, you must have missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
              1868 Jim, you must have missed it.
              Thanks Richard,I wonder if away back in 1955 that building was being used as it is at present?
              Think I will put a few dollars in my grandsons a/c to have a meal on me as a cadets salary is not very grand.
              Jim

Comment

The boy is due in Montevideo on the 11/3,the money for a steak and a beer is in his account,he knows where Togo,hope it s as good as everyone says.

Jim
                Last edited by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe; 8th March 2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I absolutely love places like that Richard.

They come first above any of y'er Silver Service.

Foriegn Muck.............I love it!!...............Wilba
                  Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                    I absolutely love places like that Richard.

They come first above any of y'er Silver Service.

Foriegn Muck.............I love it!!...............Wilba

Absolutely Wilba, all that gorgeous juicy red meat and not a vegan in site.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X