• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Circumnavigating South America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circumnavigating South America

Every now and then a cruise line takes the route around South America as part of their World Cruise
    itineraries. I know many members have enjoyed a full circumnavigation of South America, myself included. Cornish Girl and Paul Inkpen are others that spring to mind in recent years.

However, I would like to dedicate this thread to MaggieMou who on Saturday sets off on Arcadia's 99 night World Cruise.

So off we go Maggie, here is a small foretaste of what's to come. I don't have pictures of all the places on your itinerary, Paul and I were on Queen Mary 2 which skipped many of the smaller ports and the politically sensitive Argentinian ones.

Have a great time and bon voyage...

First highlight has to be Rio de Janeiro where great attractions include Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf
    Mountain and Ipanema beach...

If your ship stays in port overnight or into late evening do get out and experience the music, colour
    and nightlife.

Montevideo is another super place to visit. History, excellent steaks and, of course, the tango....

We did not stop at Buenos Aires so that is a place we shall need to visit in the not too distant future.

No circumnavigation of South America would be complete without a slow cruise or even a short stop off Cape
    Horn...

and a passage along the Beagle Channel with it's numerous glaciers...

This one was Glacier Francia.

Our next stop was the port of Valparaiso from where we took a ship's excursion to the Chilean capital,
    Santiago...

...taking in the famous Presidential Palace...

before proceeding further up the South American coast to Peru and a visit to the
    Peruvian capital, Lima, with its Cathedral...

...and yet another Presidential Palace...

Cruise ships visiting Lima port at Callao, which has an extensive beach front area...

Comment

Have a great cruise I hope you can land at The Falklands its worth it.
      Haggis

Comment

Wow!

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
        Cruise ships visiting Lima port at Callao, which has an extensive beach front area...

Hi Richard, Wow! Thanks for the dedication of this thread to me. Great photos as ever.
        I have been rather busy this past few weeks preparing for our forthcoming cruise on Saturday. So almost missed it but hey thank you!
        We are in Southampton getting all the luggage sorted for our 99 nights on Arcadia. Not must space left in our room in the hotel. So far 8 large suitcases and 7 smaller cases and carry on bags.
        I have the ironing board here in the room ( thumbs down to that one) and I had to organise a bottle of sustenance to keep me going!

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
          Hi Richard, Wow! Thanks for the dedication of this thread to me. Great photos as ever.
          I have been rather busy this past few weeks preparing for our forthcoming cruise on Saturday. So almost missed it but hey thank you!
          We are in Southampton getting all the luggage sorted for our 99 nights on Arcadia. Not must space left in our room in the hotel. So far 8 large suitcases and 7 smaller cases and carry on bags.
          I have the ironing board here in the room ( thumbs down to that one) and I had to organise a bottle of sustenance to keep me going!

MM

You IRON with that thing in your right hand.
          You know...PRESS things...get rid of creases.

Just thought I'd let you know what it's for.
          I geuss the bottle needs no instruction!

Have a FAB trip and don't forget us on the forum.
          Blog and photos please.

Mrs M
          xxxxxxxxx

Comment

Now are you sure you've not left anything behind Maggie?
            Wilba

Comment

Blimey MM
              Bet you never use the excuse " I've got nothing to wear"
              One question as we've never done more than 14 nights.
              Where do you keep all those cases once you've emptied them?
              Does the cruiseline let you store them somewhere?
              Have a great time.
              Regards
              Garfield

Comment

Storage of luggage has never been a problem. There is always plenty of room when you book a decent stateroom or suite and I would imagine a 'slip' of a tip to your steward would help find 'space' elsewhere should the cabin not be suitable.

This is my normal 16 to 29 night allowance...

See you for lunch MaggieMou. Lots to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                  Blimey MM
                  Bet you never use the excuse " I've got nothing to wear"
                  One question as we've never done more than 14 nights.
                  Where do you keep all those cases once you've emptied them?
                  Does the cruiseline let you store them somewhere?
                  Have a great time.

Regards
                  Garfield

Our steward took away 2 of our 11 cases, (we also had 2 small pieces of hand luggage), and stored them for us.

The rest; some stacked one inside another, some were hard back but soft topped so went fairly flat, and 2 were kept for storing warmer clothes, (which were not often needed), and the extra supplies of medication and toiletries.

Everything fitted in and we didn't have to use the balcony for storage!! This was a deluxe balcony stateroom on Aurora which we found very comfortable and perfectly adequate for our world cruise back in 2008.

Just like MM, you take everything that you may need, and more.

Comment

Bon Voyage Maggie and John

Well as promised my wife and I met up with MaggieMou and her husband John earlier today for a farewell lunch before they set off on their 99 day World Cruise on P&O's Arcadia tomorrow. Knowing the problems with food and rations on such a long voyage we chose as our venue Southampton's Grand Cafe...

Presentations were quickly dispensed with and we were most grateful to Maggie and John for the delightful box of Cyprus Delight...

And so it was down to lunch. The ladies choosing the healthy option of Seared Tuna Salad...

...while I opted for the moules...

For Entree the ladies again chose a healthy option, the Hot Stone Beef Medallions...

...while us chaps, it being Friday, opted for the Fish and Chips...

We toasted Bon Appetite...

...and had an absolutely great meal and time.

So all that is left is to wish Maggie and John Bon Voyage and to wish you a fabulous cruise on Arcadia. I just know that your table on board Arcadia will be a fun, lively and ever vibrant one.

One little extra point. Many of us on this forum love to hear and see Maggie's amazing clothes and shoes when she is cruising but we never quite hear too much about John. Well let me tell you John has one or two truly amazing additions to his wardrobe. He has had made two ties which feature the national flags of all the countries Arcadia is scheduled to visit. Absolutely fabulous John, a great pleasue meeting you both...

Hopefully we will wave to each other on the Solent tomorrow evening. Have a good one.

Richard and Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                      Now are you sure you've not left anything behind Maggie?
                      Wilba, we can't find the tickets!!! and searching for the passports!!!
                      Joking of course!

Comment

Hope its a great one!! Clearly no room in your suitcases for me!!
                        Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Making friends on cruises

Thank you Richard for a lovely lunch at Grand Cafe. It was a good send off our cruise tomorrow.
                          I have to say John and I have a had a couple of good "does" this past few days.
                          On New Years Eve we spent the evening in Salisbury with a couple of friends we made whilst on QM2 world Cruise. They invited us to their home and took us to a very nice place in the town centre called the Red Lion.
                          One of the ladies in our party was co owner of the Red Lion that has been in her family for 100 years. So we had very special treatment lots of fun, plus she was married to a retired P&O Captain. It is always nice to meet up with people from cruises who then become real good friends.
                          The red Lion Salisbury. It is funny I have travelled the world but I had never been to Salisbury before. Charming place it was too.

Me staggering around with a glass of bubbles

Comment

Bon Voyage MM, have a wonderful time.

Comment

Bon voyage Maggie!! I shall be thinking of you both on that wonderful adventure!! I hope Richard will be down taking photo's of your sailaway. CG
                              sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X