• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hands up for the mighty Amazon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hands up for the mighty Amazon

Some water has flowed down the Amazon River since I cruised to Manaus. Not seen too much mention of this great river cruise recently so I thought I would dig out a few photographs from the time I cruised with Fred Olsen's Braemar and share them with the membership.

I travelled alone on this particular cruise in December 2003, my wife having a number of festive singing engagements.This particular cruise had the added attraction of calling at Devil's Island which had fascinated me for some time previous and it certainly proved well worthwhile.

We stopped at a number of ports along the river, the most colourful being Parentins...

...with some pretty hot and even more colourful Brazilian dancers to greet us...

while on our way for an overnight stop at Manaus...

...and of course, the most famous landmark, The Manaus Opera House...

There certainly were many stops during both our navigation up and down the Amazon River though there is little opportunity for doing your own excursions. The reason being that good old Fred has many of his own organised and most entail tender transfer.

Two particular stops that will certainly suit those who prefer just to wander around colourful markets are at Parentins and Santarém.

Fred Olsen certainly have a monopoly on the river and it is their excursions and river activities that tend to dominate, but what the heck, how often do you sail up and down the mighty Amazon.

Some of my favourite Fred excursion type activities were...

Night Cayman hunt...

Meeting a sloth...

...and even a spot of Pirahna fishing...

PS. You even get to eat the catch on this excursion.

To make this cruise most memorable though I would certainly recommend both dining with the locals...

...and most definitely taking the ship's aeroplane excursion to fly over Manaus (see Photo above) but also over the actual confluence of the Rio Negro and Amazonas rivers...

...to appreciate in full just what the Amazon is about.

Braemar on her overnight stop at Manaus...

Devils Island views...

Comment

It's on the bucket list Richard, and it looks great. Judith

Comment

It's on my list too. The pictures make me want to go even more.

Comment

Hi Richard
          What memories your photographs bring back...
          We were on Braemar and did the cayman spotting and the flight over the mighty Amazon - were you on a seaplane? We also did the jungle trek and learned how to survive by eating bugs (aye, right) and saving rain water. We stopped at Alto de Chao and saw sloths and lovely parrots. We stopped at Devil's Island and the sea was calm when we disembarked by tender but when it was time to rejoin the ship the sea was very choppy and there were a few scary moments trying to step from the tender on to the ship.
          I have tried to work it out and I think it was November 2002 we were there but when I saw your photographs I thought we had been on the same cruise.
          I would love to go again.
          sigpic
          Tiggertom
          shaken, not purred

Comment

You have also evoked many memories for me too. Seeing the small canoes come out just to wave to us as we went by, the small isolated shacks on the water's edge with nothing for miles around and as with all the towns on the way down having the river as the only access and exit.

In Santarem I remember each house seemed to have its own rsident vulture, sometimes two, on the roof. The pet parrots in the windows of some houses too and the inquisitive locals who looked but said little.

Fantastic cruise, on Caronia by the way. Wouldn't mind going back once more.....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
              You have also evoked many memories for me too. Seeing the small canoes come out just to wave to us as we went by, the small isolated shacks on the water's edge with nothing for miles around and as with all the towns on the way down having the river as the only access and exit.

In Santarem I remember each house seemed to have its own resident vulture, sometimes two, on the roof. The pet parrots in the windows of some houses too and the inquisitive locals who looked but said little.

Fantastic cruise, on Caronia by the way. Wouldn't mind going back once more.....Neil
              I know what you mean Neil.

'Seeing the small canoes come out just to wave to us as we went by...'

A cruise that should be on every one's bucket list.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X