• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please stop my "googleling" What to in the Azores?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please stop my "googleling" What to in the Azores?

Couldn't help myself........
    said I wouldn't......
    BUT I did....
    Booked Celebrity to Azores/Portugal September next year. Now I need recommendations/suggestions for this destination, especially DIY things such as buses, taxis etc.
    So come to my rescue and help a poor cruise addicted forum member out
    Last edited by alandrover, beccles; 8th October 2016, 05:01 PM.

Originally posted by alandrover, beccles View Post
    Couldn't help myself........
    said I wouldn't......
    BUT I did....
    Booked Celebrity to Azores/Portugal September next year. Now I need recommendations/suggestions for this destination, especially DIY things such as buses, taxis etc.
    So come to my rescue and help a poor cruise addicted forum member out
    Hi

I have been to the Azores and shared a private group tour using Taxi Tours - Azores - S�o Miguel

I did meet a lady on the ship who visited the island using public buses:

Visit Azores | Bus | Visit Azores

Annie

Comment

Thanks Annie for your prompt reply, will give me reading material tonight.

Comment

I have been to the Azores four times. Twice to Ponta Delgarda. First time went walkabouts on our own, very easy to do from the ship. Lovely place and very cheap! We had a nice meal in a fish restaurant along the seafront. Second time there we booked a ships excursion to the volcanoes. It was fabulous and the hydrangeas were still in bloom. The Azores are famous for hydrangeas.
        went to Horto one year and last year we were diverted from Horto to the island of known as lilac island.
        Terceira.
        What a gem of a place that turned out to be.
        We docked there and the whole town turned out to greet us on Queen Elizabeth.This was the first time any ship had ever arrived there. It was super and lots to see and easy to get around. You will enjoy the Azores but do get away from Porta Delgarda if you want to see the beauty of the place. There is a very cheap duck bus ride for € 10 if you want to stay close by. It takes you outside the town ion a circular run and is very interesting. Other than that you can go see the blue lake and the green lakes but this can depend on the weather. Have fun and enjoy.
        Last edited by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS; 8th October 2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks MM for the info.

Comment

Thanks MM for the info.

You are welcome. Which island are you going to be calling at ? I am guessing you will go to Ponta Delgarda on Spa Miguel island. I corrected my previous post as I miss typed the island. Terceira is another island as is Horto.

Comment

You are correct- Ponta Delgarda.

Comment

You are correct- Ponta Delgarda.
                This is the island most ship call at especially if they are doing a T A down to the Caribbean.
                You will find it easy to do local walk about the town as previously stated , but on our second time there I found the whole island to be breathtaking beautiful.

Comment

I'll be there on Britannia later this month. I've been quite indecisive about what to do in the ports due to family circumstances. However, it looks like I won't have to cancel so the bus tour sounds interesting.

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
                  I have been to the Azores four times. Twice to Ponta Delgarda. First time went walkabouts on our own, very easy to do from the ship. Lovely place and very cheap! We had a nice meal in a fish restaurant along the seafront. Second time there we booked a ships excursion to the volcanoes. It was fabulous and the hydrangeas were still in bloom. The Azores are famous for hydrangeas.
                  went to Horto one year and last year we were diverted from Horto to the island of known as lilac island.
                  Terceira.
                  What a gem of a place that turned out to be.
                  We docked there and the whole town turned out to greet us on Queen Elizabeth.This was the first time any ship had ever arrived there. It was super and lots to see and easy to get around. You will enjoy the Azores but do get away from Porta Delgarda if you want to see the beauty of the place. There is a very cheap duck bus ride for € 10 if you want to stay close by. It takes you outside the town ion a circular run and is very interesting. Other than that you can go see the blue lake and the green lakes but this can deigned on the weather. Have fun and enjoy.
                  2018-
                  Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                  NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                  Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                  Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                  Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                    I'll be there on Britannia later this month. I've been quite indecisive about what to do in the ports due to family circumstances. However, it looks like I won't have to cancel so the bus tour sounds interesting.
                    Please keep me posted when get home and let me know what you decided.

Comment

We visited the Azores for the first time this winter, in the middle of a TA, and loved what we saw.
                      So much so that we're interested in a Fred O cruise this year from Liverpool, to Bermuda and back, which visits four of the islands.
                      I was amused at how the cow is king...or rather, queen... and that Nestle has an enormous factory there, because of the purity of the milk.. the cows are grass fed all year round. My neighbours have sent pedigree cattle there to improve stock.
                      We were by the lakes, and were observed all the time by an Azores cattle dog, which kept its distance but probably received treats from some visitors.
                      Our guide informed us that they were not going down the Madeira route with tourism, which pleased me, as the port side of Madeira appears to be one giant housing development.
                      Fascinating, and never too hot- it seemed an ideal place to me.
                      Last edited by Jocap, Cumbria; 8th October 2016, 06:38 PM. Reason: typo
                      Jo.

Comment

I stopped there in January and after quite a bad crossing where we weren't allowed on open decks it was lovely to get off, unfortunately it was raining and the lake in the middle was covered in mist. Hopefully the weather in September should be a lot better, and I hope what ever you decide to do you will enjoy it .................................................. ..............Carol

Comment

We stopped there in October a couple of years ago and did a tour with Ricardo from Amazing Tours. He had a good handle on the weather and switched our itinerary so we went up the mountain first and had a wonderful view. The ship's bus tour did that in the afternoon when everything was shrouded in mist. Friends did the ship's Four Wheel Drive tour and enjoyed it, although it was expensive.

Sheila

Comment

Hi Alan.
                            We've visited San Miguel Island in the Azores about half a dozen times. As other members have said the lakes are worth a visit so long as the weather is conducive and the shopping in Ponta Delgada is good but our favourite place to visit are the gardens at the Terra Nostra Garden Hotel in the town of Furnas. The town is built within the caldera of a dormant volcano and has it's own micro-climate. People swim in the lake at the centre of the gardens that is heated by the volcanic activity below it. The hotel itself is art deco design and the gardens are amongst some of the most beautiful we're ever visited. It's an amazingly tranquil place amongst all the surrounding volcanic activity.
                            I found this video on youtube that shows the town and the gardens that might be of some assistance to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZc_kCEWSU

Cheers OSD
                            Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Many thanks for all your help folks

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X