• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations please

We are in Lisbon for one day and can't decide between Sintra and Cascais or Lobidos. Any suggestions please.

Can't help sorry. We have visited Lisbon but not either of those places. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Have not been to Sintra or Lobidos. However on our last trip to Lisbon last year, we took the train to Cascais, very inexpensive! Had a great day, with a brilliant lunch in the sunshine overlooking the water.

A meander through the town down to the waterfront:

Lunch on the waterfront, we were actually sat at a table behind that one, when we ordered food, they bought a white cloth etc.. so very civilized!

This was in November! As you can tell lovely weather!

If you ambled down a side street to the left you found views like this

We would go again!
      Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rl1steve, Hessle View Post
        We are in Lisbon for one day and can't decide between Sintra and Cascais or Lobidos. Any suggestions please.
        Hi. Based on distance from port alone, I'd be inclined to go for the Sintra/Cascais option. Cascais is a very pleasant seaside town and the palaces of Sintra are well worth visiting. Obidos, while definitely an interesting town, is a good deal further from Lisbon. It all depends how much time you have in port. Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Jenny

Comment

Steve, I take it that is your name....... Can I just confuse you further and suggest that you look at these and then expand the places you could visit. Lisbon is such a great place to visit with such a variety of highlights. Lisbon one of my favourite ports of call. …..Go up the road about 300 yards and find the railway station from there you can go to
          1. Cascais, a great seaside resort, if you feel adventurous get off at Estoril and walk there along the coastal path.
          2. Go into the city of Lisbon and walk up to the Centre, catch a tram up to Castelo de Sao Jorge, St. George’s Castle, there is sometimes an interesting Flea Market there too, wander down through the Alfama district or back in the centre go up by the Santa Justa lift to the Shopping area overlooking the centre.
          3. Catch a bus or even walk west to the Monastery of Jeronimos and museum and a little further along the Tower of Belem.
          4. You could try the Parc das Nacoes, (Park of Nations), fantastic place with loads to do and see. We reached it via the train to Cas do Sodre station, Lisbon and Metro the rest of the way.
          You can hire a car and go to Sintra, a fabulous village and castle and on out to the most westerly point via the National Park of Sintra and Cascais to Caob del Roca and see if you can see the next landfall….America. Further back the town of Queluz is worth a visit. You can drive South over the bridge to the Statue of Christ the King and then onto the wine producing area and visit Setubal and Sesimbra, all very natural Portuguese. There is so much more, particularly in Lisbon itself that I just haven’t mentioned. All of these places should be researched on the net to make them easier to find and more interesting to see. ….Neil
          Last edited by Neil Down, Southampton; 27th January 2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve,I'm guessing for some reason you have ruled out Lisbon,but I have to agree with Neil it is one of my favourite cities.I can heartily recommend the trams as a great way to get around and sightsee and the views form the Santa just lift of the city are fabulous;
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Justa_Lift
            If you want to escape Lisbon though my only experience was going to Cascais on the train very packed but cheap.It's a pretty town with nice beach and also a good market mixture of usual tourist stuff plus fruit and veg.Quite a good website at:
            http://www.visitcascais.com/en
            Enjoy whatever you decide!

Comment

Hi Lizzie,
              Cascais looks lovely. Nice photos
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                Steve, I take it that is your name....... Can I just confuse you further and suggest that you look at these and then expand the places you could visit. Lisbon is such a great place to visit with such a variety of highlights. Lisbon one of my favourite ports of call. …..Go up the road about 300 yards and find the railway station from there you can go to
                1. Cascais, a great seaside resort, if you feel adventurous get off at Estoril and walk there along the coastal path.
                2. Go into the city of Lisbon and walk up to the Centre, catch a tram up to Castelo de Sao Jorge, St. George’s Castle, there is sometimes an interesting Flea Market there too, wander down through the Alfama district or back in the centre go up by the Santa Justa lift to the Shopping area overlooking the centre.
                3. Catch a bus or even walk west to the Monastery of Jeronimos and museum and a little further along the Tower of Belem.
                4. You could try the Parc das Nacoes, (Park of Nations), fantastic place with loads to do and see. We reached it via the train to Cas do Sodre station, Lisbon and Metro the rest of the way.
                You can hire a car and go to Sintra, a fabulous village and castle and on out to the most westerly point via the National Park of Sintra and Cascais to Caob del Roca and see if you can see the next landfall….America. Further back the town of Queluz is worth a visit. You can drive South over the bridge to the Statue of Christ the King and then onto the wine producing area and visit Setubal and Sesimbra, all very natural Portuguese. There is so much more, particularly in Lisbon itself that I just haven’t mentioned. All of these places should be researched on the net to make them easier to find and more interesting to see. ….Neil
                Thanks Neil for your suggestions, certainly food for thought
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst, Salisbury View Post
                  Hi. Based on distance from port alone, I'd be inclined to go for the Sintra/Cascais option. Cascais is a very pleasant seaside town and the palaces of Sintra are well worth visiting. Obidos, while definitely an interesting town, is a good deal further from Lisbon. It all depends how much time you have in port. Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Jenny
                  Thanks for your response
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                    Hi Steve,I'm guessing for some reason you have ruled out Lisbon,but I have to agree with Neil it is one of my favourite cities.I can heartily recommend the trams as a great way to get around and sightsee and the views form the Santa just lift of the city are fabulous;
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Justa_Lift
                    If you want to escape Lisbon though my only experience was going to Cascais on the train very packed but cheap.It's a pretty town with nice beach and also a good market mixture of usual tourist stuff plus fruit and veg.Quite a good website at:
                    http://www.visitcascais.com/en
                    Enjoy whatever you decide!
                    Thank you I will check out these websites

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                      Hi Steve,

Have not been to Sintra or Lobidos. However on our last trip to Lisbon last year, we took the train to Cascais, very inexpensive! Had a great day, with a brilliant lunch in the sunshine overlooking the water.

A meander through the town down to the waterfront:

Lunch on the waterfront, we were actually sat at a table behind that one, when we ordered food, they bought a white cloth etc.. so very civilized!

This was in November! As you can tell lovely weather!

If you ambled down a side street to the left you found views like this

We would go again!
                      Hi Lizzie
                      Where did you catch the train to Cascais?
                      Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

This link should help:

Lisbon to Cascais by Train

It does depend where you dock, as to directions, a town map of Lisbon will help.

We docked here

http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/p...LINER_TERMINAL

Out of the terminal, turn left & keep walking! Tried to get a Taxi there as my husband has breathing problems, but they didn't want to know, I gather it was too short a distance for them!

if you do go when you get to Cascais, out of the station and down the road to the left of Macdonalds. Enjoy!
                        Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                          Hi Steve,

This link should help:

Lisbon to Cascais by Train

It does depend where you dock, as to directions, a town map of Lisbon will help.

We docked here

http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/p...LINER_TERMINAL

Out of the terminal, turn left & keep walking! Tried to get a Taxi there as my husband has breathing problems, but they didn't want to know, I gather it was too short a distance for them!

if you do go when you get to Cascais, out of the station and down the road to the left of Macdonalds. Enjoy!
                          Thanks Lizzie for the info
                          Steve

Comment

I would have thought Sintra would be sufficient if you are only there for a day. Sintra and Cascais seems a bit too much. And although Cascais is very nice, there are many places like it. Sintra is rather special.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_C, Worthing View Post
                              I would have thought Sintra would be sufficient if you are only there for a day. Sintra and Cascais seems a bit too much. And although Cascais is very nice, there are many places like it. Sintra is rather special.
                              Thanks Nick we are thinking of Cascais by train

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X