• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shore Excursions - Are they worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Can't help you much I'm afraid, but it looks as if you are on the same cruise as us.

    Azura?

    The only place I have my heart set on is the beach by the airport at St. Maarten, although I don't intend getting blown across the road by a departing plane.

    I believe the beach is about an hour from where the ship docks but should be easy to do DIY.


    Reply with quote not working?
    Last edited by echo, derby; 4th February 2015, 12:36 AM.

    Comment


      #32
      You get the hang of the ship times after a trip or two.

      The closest we got to missing a ship was in Gib we had been so many time we just went for a beer and back via Safeway. forgot the times and walk through the terminal after they had packed up and had the gang plank pulled up after us total oblivious(till we got to the terminal).

      We have deliberately waited for the last tender a few times by making sure we are very close.

      I am convinced in some ports that if there is a serious delay for private tours like traffic a ship tour will get a problem as well.

      NCL delayed an embarkation for an late international flight in NY this week.

      Mobility issues you are often better of getting private tours matched to your needs, smaller group/private car with prearranged access to sites if needed

      Comment


        #33
        taxis are really cheap only a few dollars( they even accept euros and sterling), there are private beaches in bridgetown for those not wanting to go too far, st maarteen cost a bit more for taxi to airport beach. in all cases wait at the taxi point and try to get a group of 4,5 or 6 together and share the cost . as for the return, the taxi or minvan driver will drop you off and return to collect you at whatever time you agree. at lucia is not the safest, but across from the port you can catch a boat ride to the beach although you'd miss a visit to the pitons.

        Comment


          #34
          Has anyone used cruiseexcursions.com? I didn't sign up for their emails but somehow started receiving them recently. They guarantee to get you back to the ship etc and are cheaper than the cruise lines own excursions.
          I emailed them last week with an enquiry, they responded promptly saying they would reply in full within 72 hours and week later I've not heard back from them haha.

          I'd said we are docking in malaga in July and were planning on haggling with a taxi driver for the following;

          4 adults to mijas with an hour in mijas then down to fuengirola for 3 hours there and then back to the ship.

          I also mentioned that we dock at cadiz and want to go to the Spanish Riding school at jerez but aren't interested in the sherry drinking part of the royal caribbean tour.

          I'm still waiting for a reply.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
            Has anyone used cruiseexcursions.com? I didn't sign up for their emails but somehow started receiving them recently. They guarantee to get you back to the ship etc and are cheaper than the cruise lines own excursions.
            I emailed them last week with an enquiry, they responded promptly saying they would reply in full within 72 hours and week later I've not heard back from them haha.

            I'd said we are docking in malaga in July and were planning on haggling with a taxi driver for the following;

            4 adults to mijas with an hour in mijas then down to fuengirola for 3 hours there and then back to the ship.

            I also mentioned that we dock at cadiz and want to go to the Spanish Riding school at jerez but aren't interested in the sherry drinking part of the royal caribbean tour.

            I'm still waiting for a reply.
            Hi

            I have - one slight glitch on pick up from port on 1 excursion.

            Generally speaking very good value and I would use them again.

            Annie

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Hi

              I have - one slight glitch on pick up from port on 1 excursion.

              Generally speaking very good value and I would use them again.

              Annie
              Thanks Annie I'll wait and see if they reply.

              Comment


                #37
                Hi, we have used cruising excursions several times, and have never had a problem.Their mini buses are clean and comfortable, pick up is on time, although we have had to walk a fair distance at a couple of ports.The couriers are polite and are knowledgable and we had no problem getting back to the ship ontime. They do guarantee that the y get you to the next port if there is a problem

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by cathy, chelmsford View Post
                  Hi, we have used cruising excursions several times, and have never had a problem.Their mini buses are clean and comfortable, pick up is on time, although we have had to walk a fair distance at a couple of ports.The couriers are polite and are knowledgable and we had no problem getting back to the ship ontime. They do guarantee that the y get you to the next port if there is a problem

                  Thank you cathy

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                    Has anyone used cruiseexcursions.com? I didn't sign up for their emails but somehow started receiving them recently. They guarantee to get you back to the ship etc and are cheaper than the cruise lines own excursions.
                    I emailed them last week with an enquiry, they responded promptly saying they would reply in full within 72 hours and week later I've not heard back from them haha.

                    I'd said we are docking in malaga in July and were planning on haggling with a taxi driver for the following;

                    4 adults to mijas with an hour in mijas then down to fuengirola for 3 hours there and then back to the ship.

                    I also mentioned that we dock at cadiz and want to go to the Spanish Riding school at jerez but aren't interested in the sherry drinking part of the royal caribbean tour.

                    I'm still waiting for a reply.

                    Their total quote was £780. How is that even possible? I'm waiting for them to reply with a breakdown.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      hi, Although I responded late but can always serve those who read it ... I often visit Rome and I use public transport often, you have to buy the ticket called "birg" costs 8 euros and includes metro / train and bus so you can Go wherever you look. The only thing that the media in Rome never work well. If you then want to use private taxi transport you can call or uber or Taxi Airports Transfer - private, door to door airport transfers this site offers great private transportation services and above all convenient

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Just to be controversial:... I think P & O excursions are brilliant:-

                        1. I always read the list of excursions provided by the cruise lines

                        2. I make notes of which bits in them could be interesting and worth considering

                        3. I read all the information I can about the ports of call and the surrounding area

                        4. I decide what is worth doing, seeing and experiencing

                        5. I then put down the ship's excursions, forget them and use my own initiative as to how I will go about getting the most from my visit.

                        Sometimes I arrange my own transport, sometimes I find out and use local community transport, sometimes I join others who I have found on "Roll Calls" and occasionally I use the ship's shuttle to get to a starting point.

                        And all this gives me a lot of enjoyment planning, experiencing and increasing my knowledge. Simples. .....Neil

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                          Just to be controversial:... I think P & O excursions are brilliant:-

                          1. I always read the list of excursions provided by the cruise lines

                          2. I make notes of which bits in them could be interesting and worth considering

                          3. I read all the information I can about the ports of call and the surrounding area

                          4. I decide what is worth doing, seeing and experiencing

                          5. I then put down the ship's excursions, forget them and use my own initiative as to how I will go about getting the most from my visit.

                          Sometimes I arrange my own transport, sometimes I find out and use local community transport, sometimes I join others who I have found on "Roll Calls" and occasionally I use the ship's shuttle to get to a starting point.

                          And all this gives me a lot of enjoyment planning, experiencing and increasing my knowledge. Simples. .....Neil
                          Excellent advice Neil. The only time we take excursions (except on Regent, where they are included and are excellent) is if the place we want to visit can't be done economically on our own. E.g. North Cape from Honningvag where a taxi costs a fortune, and the Panama Canal locks.

                          Comment


                          We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.


                          By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

                          Working...
                          X