• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shore excursions for "limited" walkers ? Rome & Istanbul particularly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shore excursions for "limited" walkers ? Rome & Istanbul particularly

Travelling in May (1st time with Celebrity) from Venice round to Barcelona via Dubrovnik, Istanbul, Naples, Civitavechia, Livorno and Marseilles. Can sort ourselves out in Venice and Dubrovnik (been before), and booking Pompeii from Naples but really struggling for ISTANBUL, ROME AND FLORENCE WITH PISA. The problem is I am NOT wheelchair bound, but do need crutches or sticks to walk any distance over 200m, particularly on hard paving/cobbles etc. I also slow down the further I walk, so keeping up with a tour guide for a full day tour is not practical. However both me, hubby and 12 year old grandson who is coming with us for the first time specifically to see the historic sites, LOVE to see the usual tourist places. Rome and Istanbul present the biggest problem as the things we want to see are spread out across the Cities and we don't think I can walk from one place to the other even if we take a tour which gives us "Free time". We know the train, tram, bus etc is cheaper, but are prepared to pay the price of Ship's transfer services to minimise walking from the Port.
    Does anyone have experience using TAXIS for either place - that is if our original Ship's coach takes us to St Peters/Vatican for example, how could we get across town to see Trevi Fountain,Pantheon, Colosseum, Forum ...or can't we do it all in a few hours?
    Similarly in Istanbul - really want to see Topkapi, Blue Mosque, etc. but realise there is quite a lot of walking around these sites, so need to not use up my "walking energy" just getting from from the Ship to the site or one place to the next.
    I guess I am really asking for the impossible, I know these are not good venues for those with limited mobility, but we would like to see just a bit more than the "disabled" coach tours the ship offers for our grandson's sake.
    I know that I will have to walk to see Leaning Tower and Pisa and to get into Florence, (it says 15 minutes but if anyone knows it is much more would appreciate the nod on that) but have been to Florence before so that is not as vital, if I am worn out by then hubby will take grandson (as they are doing with Pompeii) but really would appreciate any advice. Thanks
    Viv

I've been to Istanbul a few times and we over-nighted on a cruise a number of years ago. On the morning of the second day we took a ship's tour that ended at the Grand Bazaar (I think) as we had opted to make our own way back. Later on it started pouring with rain and the streets flooded so we headed back by taxi! You could also try the tram in Istanbul, but I have no experience of it.

Lets go Istanbul. Istanbul Sights, Attractions, Hotels and Travel information.

Obviously there's loads of different things to see in both places. My recommendation would be to visit a few sites properly rather than trying to rush around too many places.

On another point I took my 9 year old son to Pompeii last October. We walked from the port to the Railway station and took the train. It was really easy, and interesting for my son to see a bit of Naples and Italy as well. Personally I think Herculaneum is a better site as I find Pompeii too big, but (understandably) my 9 year old wanted to see the ice people amongst other things!

Comment

Thanks for your reply. At least we know we can use a taxi in Istanbul from one plce to another.

Comment

My first port of call (sic) is always Your cruise guide to 1200 cruise ports of call.

Here is the information about transport in Istanbul Istanbul Turkey Cruise Port of Call and in Rome Civitavecchia Rome Italy Cruise Port of Call

Comment

Pompeii is hard on the knees, so to speak, but it is a wonderful place to visit. We went there before I had knee joint replacement and though we saw lots of the site, I remember needing lots of rest stops then having to catch up with the guide. Would love to go back again one day, see some of the new stuff they have worked on since.
          Florence is beautiful but also a bit tough on joints if you suffer. Lots of cobbles but plenty of wonderful Italian coffee houses to rest up at
          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

I was in Istanbul in January last year, and we mostly got around easily because there weren't too many tourists around. However, we still had to do a lot of queueing in Topkapi - I don't know whether that would be a problem for you.
            2018-
            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Rome has a Hop-on-Hop-off bus service which you can use to see the sights once you reach Rome. You could sit on the bus and do the round trip to see many of the attractions as it goes round or you can get on and off at the stops you want to. With walking difficulties it will be very difficult to see it all in one day - the Trevi Fountain for example is one that you'll have to walk to.

There are taxi firms that will do organised tours if you book in advance.....HT

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                With walking difficulties it will be very difficult to see it all in one day - the Trevi Fountain for example is one that you'll have to walk to.
                My wife has similar mobility problems. Last time in Rome we used the ship's "Rome on your own" tour to St Peter's. We spent some time there, then caught a taxi to view the Colisseum (didn't go inside), then taxi to Trevi Fountain (where the driver kindly drove us into the pedestrian only piazza!). By then it was time to get a taxi back to St Peter's to pick up the coach. Although we only saw three sights it was a fantastic day.

Comment

Rome is difficult as many of the sites are in Pedestrian Only zones or no Buses zone. A taxi would get you much closer than a hop on bus would. Once you have the problem of crutches the buses aren't that practical anyway .
                  If the ship's bus stops you near the Vatican, a taxi would pass through a route where you'd see much of the most important sites = for example St. Angelo, Vitt. Emanuele monument, Piazza del Popolo, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Colisseum/Forum and close to Fontana di Trevi and Piazza Navona.
                  On our last visit our bus stopped at Colisseum for some 20 minutes, passed round the Forum, in front of Vitt. Em. monument and dropped us off near Piazza del Popolo. We then walked to Spanish Steps, Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navona. Then bus to Vatican via St. Angelo. We had about 1 1/2 hours at Vatican.
                  So if you took a taxi you should easily manage it

Comment

Rome is a fantastic city and would definitely be on my "Not to be missed" list, but you have to be realistic under the circumstances.

We are able bodied and planned our day in Rome like a military operation and still didn't see and do everything we wanted, so maybe picking out two or three places from the top of your list would maximise the time available.

My further advice would be to grab a cheapie Ryanair flight at an off peak time of the year, spend a few days in this fabulous city and achieve everything you wanted at a pace to suit...........Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

Thanks this sounds closest to what we want....was it easy to pick up taxis...did you "arrange" with one driver to do this or get in and out of taxis at each place?

Comment

Thanks this sounds like the sort of thing we would want....do you just approah tais in the street or does it have to be pre arranged? Approx should we budget for?

Comment

Thank you, lots of useful info on that site

Comment

Originally posted by nannyviv, West Midlands View Post
                            Thanks this sounds closest to what we want....was it easy to pick up taxis...did you "arrange" with one driver to do this or get in and out of taxis at each place?
                            We found taxis easily at St Peter's, then hailed a different taxi for each leg of our tour. We had no problems. But make sure you allow plenty of time just in case of delays - you don't want to be panicking at the end of the day because you're not sure if you'll get back to the bus in time!! (I suppose leaving St Peter's to last would solve this!)

Comment

Originally posted by nannyviv, West Midlands View Post
                              Hi Nannyviv.
                              It is difficult at times flagging down taxi's in Rome.
                              You really need to narrow it down to 3 or 4 sights you want to see.
                              The coaches usually drop off near St Peters,,,if this is a definite must see,do it 1st,get in the queue...then after your visit you will know how much time you have left.
                              Personally i would then get a taxi to the Coliseum,starting your walk from there is easy for a good walker,through the Forum to the bottom of Via del Corsa.
                              You can get a taxi from the Coliseum to Via del Corsa.
                              All the sights are off this street....to the left the Pantheon And Piazza Navona,,,to the right the Trevi Fountain.
                              Its a long walk (1mile) up this street to the Spanish Steps,,,not worth the visit in my opinion.

Have something to eat/drink in Piazza Navona,then taxi back to St Peters.

I love Rome,but as Wilba says,i would rather do it in a weekend.
                              The heat and traffic is unbearable in summer to do it in a day.

ps,If you are good at reading transport route maps,there are very good electric buses that go down all the back streets to the sights.only a couple of Euro.Only about 8 people on a bus.

Try this site for transport routes,,especially electric bus.....ATAC S.p.A

Hope this helps.
                              JC
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X