• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSC OPERA Norwegien Fjordds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSC OPERA Norwegien Fjordds

hi
    we are going on our first cruise soon on the MSC Opera, and having looked on review sites they have not got a great rating by some people, the ones i have seen only go to 2010 anyone been on here recently, my main concern is the italian cusine as even though i do like it i am not a great pasta or rissitto fan any help would be good also has anyone done the all inclusive drinks package, all your drinks included thatknks in advance for any help

Hi Meggiemoo and welcome to the forum .... if you check this thread out http://www.cruises.co.uk/1012-msc_cr...msc_menus.html Pete has kindly given us some example MSC menus which should be very similar to what you will get on the Opera. The 'Always Available' dishes give you an alternative to Italian when you want it.
    There are more up-to-date reviews of the ship here http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie...ses/msc-opera/ and as you say they are not brilliant but I've learned to read in between the lines and quite often people get hung up about the smallest detail which the rest of us would think insignificant. Go with an open mind and you'll have a great time.

Comment

Not been on Opera but have enjoyed 4 MSC cruises over the last 2 years.. Everything seems pretty standard, Food in the MDR in the evenings is very much an Italian 4/5/6 course affair but as has been pointed out other options are available, be aware that portions are small as you are expected to indulge in each course & I can assure you, you could be struggling by the 5th/6th course, if you want extra of any portion, just ask. The buffet offers an alternative in the evenings, something with chips normally, adequate but not brilliant. The AI drinks package is OK if you do drink, & I do mean drink, you will really have to go some to get your moneys worth, I used the AI package last November on Musica & I fell short of what I'd paid by some £50 & that was taking into account the 15% service charge added to all drinks, other packages are available both on board & on line, but these packages do seem to vary from cruise to cruise. The only plus that I can give the AI package is, you don't have to pay the 15% service charge & you can order as much as you like when you want it, without worrying about the final bill. MSC reviews vary from those who like it to those that don't, its not English cruising, its Italian, its done the Italian way & its not everyones cup of tea !!, you will almost certainly find other nationalities on board, this might not be quite so prevelant on Opera as Opera is operating out of the UK & will therefore probably have a good smattering of Brits on board. Personally I find MSC good value for money & is my preffered cruise line, Hope you enjoy it..

Comment

thank you so much for your reply, we have never cruised before and hubby booked this one as healways wanted to see the fjords, am looking forward to it and will keep an open mind, might do the AI this thime as we then wont have a bill at the end and will know all is paid for

Comment

I don't know your cruise itinery, but you are almost certainly going to Norway, fantastic scenery, particularly if your sailing into/out of Oslo, but be prepared for horrendous on shore prices, 3 Postcards with stamps £6, a 6 pack of Bounty bars £10, these prices Oslo 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by meggiemoo, slough View Post
            thank you so much for your reply, we have never cruised before and hubby booked this one as healways wanted to see the fjords, am looking forward to it and will keep an open mind, might do the AI this thime as we then wont have a bill at the end and will know all is paid for
            I hope you enjoy your first cruise. We have done quite a few cruises but will be sailing with MSC on the Opera for the first time in October.

We tend to go for the itinerary when booking a cruise and not the ship. Having tried a few different cruise lines and sailed on new, old, big and smaller ships, it's easier to choose what suits you when faced with a choice of cruise lines that are doing the same itinerary- price comes into too of course. We chose the Opera in October because it is going to the Black Sea which is on our 'to do' list and it was such a cheap deal.

Be aware that cruise holidays are very addictive and so your cruise on Opera could be the first of many. If you find that MSC wasn't really for you then try another line before you dismiss the idea of booking another.

Go with an open mind and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time- we certainly will.
            Jill

Comment

we are the same never looked at reviews but went as it was a good price for the fjords, and i am now looking forward to it more after finding this site and also with so many positive comments
              thank you all and will report back when we come home

Comment

MSC Opera WOW what a cruise

just came back and wanted to let you all know what a fantastic time we had, the staff food everything was great, my only complaint was they should chuck the moaning passengers over board, if i heard one more comment of they dont do this on Princess, RC, and all these other cruise lines, i did say to people why did they not go with the other cruise line then!!
                i can say that this has hooked us on cruising and also on MSC cruises they are reasonable priced and the staff we met were really nice the ship was fantastic and food fabulous
                Well done MSC see yoa again soon

Comment

Originally posted by meggiemoo, slough View Post
                  just came back and wanted to let you all know what a fantastic time we had, the staff food everything was great, my only complaint was they should chuck the moaning passengers over board, if i heard one more comment of they dont do this on Princess, RC, and all these other cruise lines, i did say to people why did they not go with the other cruise line then!!
                  i can say that this has hooked us on cruising and also on MSC cruises they are reasonable priced and the staff we met were really nice the ship was fantastic and food fabulous
                  Well done MSC see yoa again soon
                  Hi there Meggiemoo ..... glad to hear you enjoyed your first cruise so much and as you say once you've tried it you do get hooked. It is also nice to hear you found the ship and the cruise line excellent as well because there are a few us MSC enthusiasts on this forum and it's good to have you join our little club. Remember if you post a cruise review (in the reviews section) you will be sent a FREE Fodor's Guide book which is worth having as I've got two already and they are very useful.

Comment

MeggieMoo - delighted that you had a great cruise! Another one to join the MSC fan club.
                    The RC et al do it better brigade get on my goat also - you are right - book with RC then and see is the extra you pay worth all that!

Well done! See you on an MSC cruise soon!

Comment

Glad you had a great cruise & welcome to the MSC Club, we may be small, but were growing !!

Comment

should we form one - look for group discounts???

Comment

Originally posted by tomvet, limerick, roi View Post
                          should we form one - look for group discounts???
                          Not a bad idea Tom if there were enough of us it might be feasible even if it was an extra few percentage points off the cruise it'd be nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                            Not a bad idea Tom if there were enough of us it might be feasible even if it was an extra few percentage points off the cruise it'd be nice to have.
                            When you take the MSC club discount and the 5% booking on line and if posible a €50 OBC for MSC advocates - significant enough savings could be made.

Comment

WOW , A real MSC fan club.

I make it, including myself, a quorum of five. I had thought for a long time that I stood alone, and often had to put on my tin hat and repair to the bomb shelter whilst the slings and arrows were hurled at MSC.

Now it's going to be interesting to see who is first to get a gold card , and the 20% discount that goes with it.

A warm welcome to the MSC fan club to meggiemoo

I wonder if Smith7 will be joining in Oct.?? Hopefully
                              Pete

sigpic
                              If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X