• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bergen on a Sunday?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bergen on a Sunday?

Just been reading my itinerary and realised we will be docked in Bergen on a Sunday and after a bit of "googling" it looks like nowhere will be open!

I had promised my Aunt wonderful seafood at the fish market, and I was hoping to add a piece of Juhls jewelry to my collection.

Any one visited on a Sunday and got any information on what is likely to be open?

Thanks for any ideas ..Carol

Carol, I have never been but want to wish you a great trip. I would have presumed that Bergen would be open on cruise ship days - businesses would never let business slip for the sake of not opening. Then again it is Norway, they are not short of a few bob right now. I just hope recent event up there does not cause hassle for you all with extra security etc etc.

Any enjoy and post a review. I might eventually get there after cancelling on 2 occasions!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
      Just been reading my itinerary and realised we will be docked in Bergen on a Sunday and after a bit of "googling" it looks like nowhere will be open!

I had promised my Aunt wonderful seafood at the fish market, and I was hoping to add a piece of Juhls jewelry to my collection.

Any one visited on a Sunday and got any information on what is likely to be open?

Can't help you unfortunately, we docked in Bergen on a Wednesday, however we docked in Stavanger on a Sunday and it was shut, they did not seem to bother if a cruise ship was in or not, so it will probably be the same at Bergen. I have to say though that the Fjords are spectacular, make sure you have your camera, we took over 200 photos in total of the Queen Victoria and the Fjords, I have never taken that many photos on holiday before. Phil
      Cruises Done
      Queen Victoria, 1st July 2011 Norwegian Fjords.
      P&O Arcadia, 26th October 2012, Atlantic Coast

Comment

Many places will be closed. For further info, I recommend you contact the excellent Tourist Information Office at Vågsallmenningen 1, NO-5014 Bergen, Norway Tel.: (0047) 55 55 20 00, E-mail: info@visitBergen.com - visitBergen - De Offisielle reiselivssidene for Bergensregionen.

Comment

Thanks everyone much appreciated. I will no doubt find out when we get there and maybe post back on here what I find..Carol

Comment

We were there on a Sunday in 2009. The city centre was quieter than when we were there on a weekday in 2008 and many of the 'ordinary' shops were closed, though the souvenir shops and cafes were open. The fish market at the head of the harbour was open so hopefully your aunt will be able to have her seafood. I am not familiar with Juhls jewellery but if it would require a jeweller rather than a souvenir shop then you may well be out of luck.

The Floibanen funicular railway was open (as you would expect). Also the Leprosy Museum - some may think it's a strange choice but we found it quite interesting.

Comment

We stopped in Bergen on a Sunday in 2009 and most places were closed. Did a ships tour out of Bergen and only the tourist type shops were open. The fish market was open and there are stalls there that sell clothes and trinkets etc. There is a place in the market where they cook the fish to order and have a sitting area to eat your meal. I really enjoyed an ice cream from a kiosk on the walk back to the ship. It was so huge it took me ages to eat it.
              EDNA

Comment

Hi Carol. We've just returned from the fjords and was in Bergen last Thursday. Sunday visiting may work in your favour depending on what you plan to do as it was packed last Thursday with 3 ships in town. We went in early to catch he Floyenbahnen furnicular but it was already totally overrun with ships tours. The fish Market was packed solid too. We ended up returning to the ship early as the town was too busy..
                Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Thanks folks, that sounds a bit more hopeful. Seems as though it won't be as quiet as I imagined.
                  Might even give the Leprosy Museum a twirl..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post

Good morning Carol, out of curiosity, I googled Bergen and Juhls and there are a couple of shops/galleries which open at noon on a Sunday which sell Juhls.
                    Have a wonderful cruise, we certainly did. Don't forget to pack your rain gear and factor 30 sunscreen!
                    xx

Juhls’ Silver Gallery AddressBryggen 39 [next to Royal SAS hotel]

Emailjuhls.bg@online.no

Phone 55 32 47 40

Hours9am-10pm mid-May–mid-Aug, 9am-6pm Mon-Fri & 1-7pm Sat & Sun rest-of-year
                    Last edited by Mrs M; 25th July 2011, 07:07 AM. Reason: added shop details

Comment

Marvellous! My daughter went on Arcadia last year for her honeymoon and bought a beautiful pair of earrings so I wanted to go and get her something to match for her birthday and maybe a little trinket for myself

Weather a bit "iffy" this week in Norway so all eventualities covered, will enjoy it regardless!...Carol

p.s. Just setting off for Southampton to stay overnight so won't be looking at e-mails, (to save anyone else replying)
                      Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 25th July 2011, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Just in case anyone else needs to know....Bergen on a Sunday seemed like Bergen on every other day. Funicular very busy, most shops open and fish market doing a roaring trade. Juhls open in the afternoon as advised so no problem there and birthday present purchased..Carol

Comment

Hi Carol,

It was super wasn't it!

And the view from the top.

We also enjoyed listening to these two, singing some of my favourite folk songs!

Best Wishes, Lizzie.
                          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                            Hi Carol,

It was super wasn't it!

And the view from the top.

We also enjoyed listening to these two, singing some of my favourite folk songs!

Best Wishes, Lizzie.
                            Lizzie, Indeed it was! And with the best weather of the week. Really enjoyed the singers, they seemed very professional and had a good crowd watching them.

Nice photo's by the way..Carol

Comment

In case anyone else is interested .......... If there are cruise ships in port, then the Bryggen's shops will be open, even on Sundays. The jewellers is lovely and the people really helpful. It is supposed to rain a lot in Bergen, but we've only had one wet day in five visits, so I hope you are lucky too.

The fish market food is quite expensive, but if you've promised you just need to pay up and look cheerful! It's like eating in Piazza Navona in Rome, you pay to be there! The icecreams are really good, but don't be tempted to buy a drink in the bars on the Bryggen. Alcohol is government controlled and very expensive in Norway, and even more so on the Bryggen.

I love Bergen. Have a good time.

Judith

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X