• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terminal plans port of Cork(Cobh)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminal plans port of Cork(Cobh)

One of those what's not to like kind of ports often included on the round britains when you dock in Cobh

this is what they say
    Port of Cork Cruise Liner Traffic

2019 was a record cruise season for the Port of Cork with 100 cruise liners visiting. In total over 243,000 passengers and crew visited the region with many passengers visiting Cork for the first time.

Also in 2019, the Port of Cork's Cruise line berth in Cobh was recognised as one of the best cruise destinations in the world, winning in the Top-Rated British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Destination category.

There has been an increase in cruise ship visits to Cork Harbour in the early 21st century, with 53 such ships visiting the port in 2011, increasing to approximately 100 cruise ship visits by 2019.

These cruise ships berth at the Port of Cork's deepwater quay in Cobh, which is Ireland's only dedicated berth for cruise ships.

also this glowing article.
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/cork-har...e-destinations

Due to the increase in traffic at Ringaskiddy they are looking to move cruise ships away and develop a second cruise terminal in Cobh

(never cruised into Ringaskiddy so had to look it up on the map)

The temp solution is to be at Marino point which looks like its in the middle of nowhere but does have a train station 500m(same line as Cobh/Cork) and a golf club.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/m...-40227836.html

The Port of Cork hopes to have a second cruise liner terminal operational in Cobh by the end of the decade which will see up to 150 cruise liners visiting the town every year.

Will they build before Liverpool gets their act together?

We sailed right into Cork on Seabourn Pride and berthed by the railway station. Bigger ships can’t do that. Last time was on Seabourn Ovation and we berthed in Cobh. A nice little port. Good luck to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
      We sailed right into Cork on Seabourn Pride and berthed by the railway station. Bigger ships can’t do that. Last time was on Seabourn Ovation and we berthed in Cobh. A nice little port. Good luck to them.
      We have visited and moored up at the same berth on QV, a few times. The first time was when we attended a really moving ceremony in Cobh on the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Lusitania.

Delightful port, delightful people and will be happy to visit again one day.

Comment

Hi all
        Cobh is one of my favourite ports,,,so much so a few friends and OH’s are planning on making Cork our first foreign visit when lockdowns are lifted,,,I will be taking them to my favourite pub in Cobh.Ryan’s Bar.
        I can taste that Guinness now!!!

4C72A629-2A6B-4BD4-95AD-FCA0CDEDCDA7.jpeg
        AC6EFCB9-A0AC-4792-B3C4-66B7FB096CFA.jpeg
        FABE51B6-5BE9-4F05-A150-8397BC1EB141.jpeg
        JC
        Last edited by jc, liverpool; 18th February 2021, 11:08 AM.
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I thought Cobh was lovely, except that we docked on a Sunday and a lot was closed.
          2018-
          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Lovely place. Cork City which can be visited from here is so interesting.
            A beautiful sail out into the open sea.

Comment

Hi all.
              My towns Irish heritage has links to Cobh.

Spike Island in Widnes...famous for Stone Roses concert.
              11765F34-BDD7-47B4-AC8D-D4A48F928228.jpeg
              Spike Island in Cork Harbour....you can visit via small ferry from Cobh.
              C75F267A-82DC-4496-A732-AF50D2ED5807.jpeg
              There used to be a pub in town called Cork Harbour.

JC

Comment

Never been to to Ireland but every time I see it advertised I promise myself I am going, one of the main reasons I would be quite happy to do a Round Britain cruise............... x

Comment

The only time we were scheduled to dock in Cobh w as on a TA, when we hit severe storms in the Bay of Biscay and had to miss the port. Many Americans on board were furious because they had booked the cruise specifically to visit Ireland, the country of their ancestors.

We visited the area several times when my wandering in laws lived in Carlow for six years when brother in law was involved in establishing a German factory there. It really is an interesting part of the world, well worth visiting.

Sheila

Comment

We visited Cork on a coach tour of Ireland with my aunt about 8 years ago as she had never been to Ireland where my grandmother was from. We had a great time there and although we didn’t get to Limerick which is where my grandmother was from we felt that Cork was close enough.

Take me care and stay well. Helen☘️

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Hi all
                      Cobh is one of my favourite ports,,,so much so a few friends and OH’s are planning on making Cork our first foreign visit when lockdowns are lifted,,,I will be taking them to my favourite pub in Cobh.Ryan’s Bar.
                      I can taste that Guinness now!!!

4C72A629-2A6B-4BD4-95AD-FCA0CDEDCDA7.jpeg
                      AC6EFCB9-A0AC-4792-B3C4-66B7FB096CFA.jpeg
                      FABE51B6-5BE9-4F05-A150-8397BC1EB141.jpeg
                      JC
                      I remember meeting you for the first time JC when we were on Thomson Spirit. When we docked in Cobh, OH, myself and an Irish friend took the train to Fota to visit a big house (I've forgotten the name of it.) That was 7 years ago!
                      Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I remember meeting you for the first time JC when we were on Thomson Spirit. When we docked in Cobh, OH, myself and an Irish friend took the train to Fota to visit a big house (I've forgotten the name of it.) That was 7 years ago!
                        Hi Jill
                        I remember it well.....and I went to the pub!!!!
                        Kellys Bar just 150ydsnfrom the terminal.

32111354-90BA-41EA-84BB-EC9E9B0FE886.jpeg
                        People take photos of scenery I take photos of pubs,,just for future reference you understand.

The place you went was Flota House and Gardens,,,there is also Flota Wildlife Park.
                        JC
                        Last edited by jc, liverpool; 18th February 2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

We end up in Kelly's (well I do the OH goes walk about)

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi Jill
                            I remember it well.....and I went to the pub!!!!
                            Kellys Bar just 150ydsnfrom the terminal.

32111354-90BA-41EA-84BB-EC9E9B0FE886.jpeg
                            People take photos of scenery I take photos of pubs,,just for future reference you understand.

The place you went was Flota House and Gardens,,,there is also Flota Wildlife Park.
                            JC
                            My daddy worked north England and whole of Scotland which meant he could be away for up to 6 months of the year. We used to holiday in Rothesay and he also worked there so We took him to Rothesay for the weekend as a surprise a few years before he died. Whenever I asked him where somewhere was he’d say you go by pub so in so then up that road till you get to pub so in so then turn right! 😂😂😂😂😂 I think it’s a man thing.
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

My daddy worked north England and whole of Scotland which meant he could be away for up to 6 months of the year. We used to holiday in Rothesay and he also worked there so We took him to Rothesay for the weekend as a surprise a few years before he died. Whenever I asked him where somewhere was he’d say you go by pub so in so then up that road till you get to pub so in so then turn right! 😂😂😂😂😂 I think it’s a man thing.
                              Hi Issy
                              I remember years ago most of the towns bus stops was by a pub.

But the bus conductor never shouted out the name of the pub before the stop,,,,but it was always the name of the characters who used to,or did own them.

Eg...the Albion was always Alfie Radleys.
                              the Cricketers Arms was always Leggie Humes,,,,even now everyone over 50 yrs calls it ‘Leggies’,,,they even renamed the pub a few years ago..to ‘Leggies’.

It did frighten the kids when at one pub the conductor would shout out ‘the Blood Tub’.

JC
                              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 19th February 2021, 11:22 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X