• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Sea Cruising - why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic Tony but Southampton and Le Havre are not North Sea ports. They're both English Channel ports

Cheers OSD
    I suspect you are not really sorry - the idea was to differentiate from those cruises heading south from Southampton or further up to Scandinavia or the Baltic - but I guess you knew that as well.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

Also how many times have people commented that the cruise ship experience on a short/party cruise differs from that of a longer cruise?
      I have done a few short cruises from Southampton and plan to do more next year. It depends on the cruiseline/ship whether it is a party cruise or not. I didn't think that the 3 forum cruises on QM2 were party cruises (although we had a ball), neither was my recent 3 nighter to Rouen on the Braemar.

The only short cruise that was definitely a party/booze cruise was on Adventure of the Seas but that was to the Med and not a north Sea itinerary. It is an experience I would not want to repeat.

Sorry
      Jill

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
        I suspect you are not really sorry - the idea was to differentiate from those cruises heading south from Southampton or further up to Scandinavia or the Baltic - but I guess you knew that as well.

Cheers

Tony B
        Sorry Tony, but I'm just a thick bloke who doesn't make assumptions, read between the lines, 2nd guess, understand mixed messages or multi-task

Cheers OSD
        Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Did FO pre xmas short cruise, party atmosphere without being OTT.
          Quite a few families extending the Xmas trip and party groups.

I did it Solo decent price.

Freezing ports did not get off.

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
            More and more cruise lines are offering cruises to the ports around the North Sea - You know the ones I am sure. Southampton, Le Havre, Zeebrugge, Amsterdam and Hamburg.

Having just returned from our second circuit (The first being September 2016) I cannot see us returning in a hurry.

The weather was variable, actually bad enough for the overnight stop in Amsterdam being cancelled 48 hours early and an overnight stop in Zeebrugge implemented and an extra sea day, the second day in port effectively being wiped out by torrential rain and winds.

The ports are of variable interest - Southampton and Le Havre are both limiting unless you undertake expensive excursions to cities that are easier to visit by plane or train, Zeebrugge is OK but still a transfer and train to Bruges, Amsterdam is a great cruise port - the city is on the doorstep of the ship and Hamburg is a nice city but closed on Sunday and big ships dock well outside the city.

So doubtful weather, no variety in ports/itineraries and the journey to Southampton for us up north.

Am I being unfair?

Cheers

Tony B
            Agree about the weather but this could happen anywhere and yes more chance further north you are. Just look at the Caribbean or Florida, So you see it's pot luck any where you go as I've found out many times IE unable to get into Lisbon in July. Unable to get into Nice in Aug.

Comment

Originally posted by George, Gateshead (3) View Post
              Agree about the weather but this could happen anywhere and yes more chance further north you are. Just look at the Caribbean or Florida, So you see it's pot luck any where you go as I've found out many times IE unable to get into Lisbon in July. Unable to get into Nice in Aug.
              George, I agree that the weather is a game of chance, but the Caribbean Aug/Sept a high risk stake every year.
              ...... Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

the ports are of variable interest - Southampton .....unless you undertake expensive excursions to cities that are easier to visit by plane or train,

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
                https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/
                Stonehenge | English Heritage
                https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/

we have been tagging these and others a bit futher out as pre cruise extras, all doable on a port visit

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                  the ports are of variable interest - Southampton .....unless you undertake expensive excursions to cities that are easier to visit by plane or train,

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
                  https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/
                  Stonehenge | English Heritage
                  https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/

we have been tagging these and others a bit futher out as pre cruise extras, all doable on a port visit
                  We've done every one of these as pre/post cruise extras - twice in the case of the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard as I can't get enough of the Mary Rose exhibition. In addition we have done Highclere Castle too, which is just a very short jaunt off the A34 between Oxford and Southampton :

https://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/
                  Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                    George, I agree that the weather is a game of chance, but the Caribbean Aug/Sept a high risk stake every year.
                    ...... Wilba
                    Wilba I only put in Caribbean due to the amount of people from UK that were there on hols. In the hurricane season. I've been very lucky over the years with weather one or two bad days and a few thunderstorms but overall had good weather north or south, just hope it continues.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X