• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Herve to Honfleur

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Le Herve to Honfleur

Whilst docked in LeHarve during the CD Celebrity Eclipse cruise, I want to take the opportunity to visit the lovely little harbour town of Honfleur. At the moment I cannot find any details of the ships excursion during our stay.

From information gathered I understand you can catch a bus from Le Harve which takes approx 40 minutes to cross the river Seine via the Pont de Normand bridge to Honfleur. However I gather the bus service is rather limited especially on the return route from Honfleur to LeHarve. Bus Verts du Calvados - Bus Verts , Circuits en bus sur le Calvados

The other option is to go via Taxi, which can be expensive for such a short journey, due to the toll charges the taxi's have to pay each way when crossing the bridge.

Has anybody either been to Honfleur either by bus or taxi or are thinking of going, who can update me. Would not mind sharing the taxi fare if anybody else on this cruise is thinking of going by taxi.

Honfleur, France: a cultural guide - Telegraph

Photo via Flick'r.
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 24th March 2017, 03:01 PM.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Hi Delboy
    Could you bus there and taxi back? That would reduce the costs a bit if you can't find anyone to share.

Comment

We have done it by hiring a car, then you can also go a little further. We use Rent a car France who bring the cars to the terminal - they have a desk in the terminal but you can arrange in advance by e-mailing le_havre@rentacar.fr
      They are quite good, but you will not get a quick reply!!

Comment

We caught the bus there and taxi back which we shared with another couple who we met at the bus stop whilst waiting for the bus back. We has misread the timetable and didn't realise the service was very limited on a Sunday. Taxi were plentiful and not expensive when shared between 2 couples with the added bonus of being taken directly back to the ship instead of the bus station which is quite a walk from where the ship docks as far as I can remember. We really enjoyed Honfleur, worth the journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysticks, Bournemouth View Post
          We have done it by hiring a car, then you can also go a little further. We use Rent a car France who bring the cars to the terminal - they have a desk in the terminal but you can arrange in advance by e-mailing le_havre@rentacar.fr
          They are quite good, but you will not get a quick reply!!
          We have also rented a car, but used Hertz. We were not too pleased with their service. They picked us up at the port but when we returned the car their shuttle wasn't available, so we had to take a cab. Not very much xpensive, but annoying. The drive was easy and Honfleur is well worth visiting.

Sheila

Comment

I guess we are there on a Saturday. I've not been to either, but I've been told that Honfleur is lovely. We've got so much going on at the moment, I haven't had time to think about it!
            BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Ditto to Hockeysticks. Rent a car has an office in the cruise terminal, manned only for a few minutes on arrival and returning about an hour before departure to receive the returned cars. Communication is largely in French but english will work with patience. The drive to Honfleur is not exciting or picturesque but the town is amazing. Don't miss the large church on the hill. Saturday is an excellent day to visit as there is a quite good farmers' market in the area surrounding the church.

Comment

Del, I was in Honfleur less than a year ago and saw a number of 50 seater coaches going in and out of Honfleur Coach Park with Le Havre - Honfleur Shuttle scribed along the side.

I have not had a lot of time this past week, but I will get googling in the next few days to pin these blighters down...........Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                  Del, I was in Honfleur less than a year ago and saw a number of 50 seater coaches going in and out of Honfleur Coach Park with Le Havre - Honfleur Shuttle scribed along the side.

I have not had a lot of time this past week, but I will get googling in the next few days to pin these blighters down...........Wilba
                  Wilba

Thanks much appreciated, I don't mind paying for a taxi, it's just that travelling on my own I did not fancy paying an exorbitant amount for such a short journey, so thought taxi sharing maybe the answer.

At my age car hire would be out of the question, as for going by bus there are vey few on that Saturday especially for the return journey, also the times did not seem very convenient.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

The last time we were at Le Havre there were taxis waiting outside. I meant to get a price on the way back into the terminal and forgot.
                    We are fine with a taxi share. We've no idea whether we want an hour there or several. Would be nice to decide at the last minute once we know what the weather is like.
                    There again as I've just said to Wilba I may just plonk myself somewhere on top deck with a drink and literally relax! (A word not often in my vocabulary)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X