• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

La Rochelle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La Rochelle

Does anyone have any tips for visiting La Rochelle?
    Thanks
    I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
    sigpic

www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

Love Ile De Re, just over the large bridge, fantastic beaches and St Martin is beautiful. You could always go to Fort Boyard by boat which takes about an hour.

Comment

This must be one of the most underused quality ports on cruises out of the UK.

For me the actual harbour with its bars, restaurants and shops has more than enough to offer a first timer without looking to go further afield and then missing out on La Rochelle itself..........Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

As Wilba says don't bother with visits further afield. Just take yourself off into the centre of the city and wander round. Go and see the harbour and the towers which guard it and the cathedral to name but two highlights. I certainly wouldn't bother with the Ile de Re, most underwhelming, we preferred the Ile d'oleron but if it's your first time I wouldn't bother with either, head for the city!

Comment

That's useful for me too , thanks, we will be going in April on Emerald. I was thinking of going to Ile de Re but won't bother now, just head fir the city.

Comment

I would agree that the town itself is pretty and plenty to do to wander around.It depends on what your personal interests are but there is a fabulous Aquarium in La Rochelle:
            Aquarium La Rochelle - Site Officiel
            There is a good general tourism website too:
            La Rochelle Tourisme - hotel la rochelle, location la rochelle, chambres d'hôtes la rochelle, hôtels La Rochelle |
            We loved La Rochelle thought it a very underrated destination.

Comment

La Rochelle has a lovely old town and harbour to wander round. Lots of atmosphere and don't forget to visit some of the homemade chocolate shops.

Comment

I really like La Rochelle, great place to amble around.

Comment

Hi all
                  Thanks for the advice from me also.
                  I am thinking of a cruise on Britannia in summer that stops at La Rochelle.
                  JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                    We usually just go for a wander in this sort of port - sounds right up 'our street' (?Rue?)
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with Wilba. We visited several years ago and met up with some people we knew at the time who showed us around. We enjoyed exploring the town and also enjoyed the Ile de Re. We also visited some old German submarine pens, interesting but very creepy, you felt as if there were ghosts watching your every move.
                      Last edited by Happy, Wolverhampton; 26th February 2016, 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
                      Oriana
                      Oceana
                      Ventura
                      Queen Mary 2
                      Queen Victoria
                      Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Great ideas!
                        Not long to go now and really looking forward to La Rochelle as we love France
                        sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X