• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a matter of interest, has anyone visited Belsen on a cruise?

Comment

Due to go to Hamburg on the Queen Vic in Jan, so would be interested if anyone has been to the club where The Beatles played.

PLUS anything else of interest!
      I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
      sigpic

www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

Comment

Looking at this:
        Hamburg Germany Cruise Port of Call
        sigpic

Comment

The Rathaus (City Hall) is an amazing building and houses a small museum. Lots of great shopping in the streets off the Rathaus Square and if you have the time, I second the Lubeck recommendation. A beautiful town.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
            As a matter of interest, has anyone visited Belsen on a cruise?
            No, but it's about 95-100kms away from Hamburg, by the town of Bergen Hohne. We lived in Bergen Hohne in the 80's and visited Belsen several times. A truly haunting experience and as far as I know, I don't think much has changed in the area. It's surroundd by forests.I think it would be a worthwhile excursion if the cruise lines do them
            BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
              No, but it's about 95-100kms away from Hamburg, by the town of Bergen Hohne. We lived in Bergen Hohne in the 80's and visited Belsen several times. A truly haunting experience and as far as I know, I don't think much has changed in the area. It's surroundd by forests.I think it would be a worthwhile excursion if the cruise lines do them
              I lived in Hohne, 1967-1972. Was a teacher at Montgomery school.
              Small world!
              Eileen

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen Dallas, Torrevieja. Spain View Post
                I lived in Hohne, 1967-1972. Was a teacher at Montgomery school.
                Small world!
                Eileen
                Small world indeed Eileen!
                We were there 1979 -1985 and lived in Berliner Strasse, Bergen. My daughter went to Montgomery school and though it was only for a short year, she remembers it well
                Sue
                BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
                  Thank you. ......

Comment

Been to Hamburg on QM2. The sail into and out of port along the river should not be missed. The crowds along the banks are huge, although don’t know if this will happen at the times you give. QM2 is regarded as very special in the city and the locals make a big fuss. There is a shuttle bus from the port into the centre although a walk is not that far depending on where you want to be. I think we bussed in and then found ourselves within walking distance on the way back. On a 2 day visit we walked the city centre from the Rathaus (don’t forget the nearby lakes) and the next day caught a train into Lubeck – a pleasant day out and an easy return journey.

Comment

Just to add to this thread:
                      We visited in January on the Queen Victoria.
                      Weather was freezing, with snow that turned to slush as soon as we got off the shuttle bus!
                      My boots leaked so we HAD to visit a shopping centre near the Town Hall () for a new pair.
                      However, we decided to visit the National Gallery and discovered they have a 'golden' afternoon on Fridays where 'seniors' get a reduced price plus coffee & cake after 2.00 pm.
                      We didn't want to hang around as it was only midday, so instead to fill in the time, we went to the Arts & Crafts Museum - what a find! Loads of Belle Epoche stuff (Art Nouveau), interesting room sets, objects and furniture. So much to see that we didn't have time to return to the National Gallery.
                      Well worth a visit if you're in Hamburg in the winter!
                      sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X