• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hamburg

    Hi all

    We're due to visit Hamburg in a few weeks time on QM2 and, rather late in the day for me, I've just started my research and am having difficulties finding out what I need to know. I know the people on here will have some answers :

    1. Where is the ship likely to berth in relation to the city?

    2. Is there much of the medieval city left? Is it within walking distance?

    3. Has anyone visited the aquarium? It is a little outside the city (next to the zoo) but looks as though it may be worth a visit

    4. Anything else worth a visit?

    5. Any opinions on the model railway? It's not really my thing but it does look good
    Cruising my way through life!

    Sue

    #2
    Only been to Hamburg once for xmas markets, its a very big town centre with plenty to keep you occupied, unfortunatly FO cut our one day visit down to just a short morning on arrival, so never saw much. Would enjoy going back for a full day.

    Comment


      #3
      Good Morning Sue,
      QM2 should berth at Hafen City cruise terminal. It is within walking distance of the centre but Cunard do provide a shuttle bus.
      Uberseequartier Ubahn is close to the terminal and will take you towrds the Hauptbahnhof.
      The model railway (miniatur Wunderland) is a marvellous place to go. It has lots of fascinating details in the scenes, many of them animated. You would need a couple of hours there. It is very close to the cruise terminal. If you decide to visit it, book your slot online to avoid queues - you don't pay upfront. Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg - Modellbau Modelleisenbahn Hamburg
      There is not a lot of the old city.
      Enjoy your trip. The people there are very friendly.
      Mervyn

      Comment


        #4
        The Cunard website surely has info on the berth location and the distance to the "town" similar to that of P&O

        Comment


          #5
          Hi Sue. We are doing the research too! Having been to Hamburg before, we are planning to visit the Miniatur Wunderland. Looking at the possible queue scenario, we will probably reserve our slot for 9.30-10.30.
          I have delegated the task to OH of course.

          See you soon.
          Jill

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Hockeysticks, Bournemouth View Post
            Good Morning Sue,
            QM2 should berth at Hafen City cruise terminal. It is within walking distance of the centre but Cunard do provide a shuttle bus.
            Uberseequartier Ubahn is close to the terminal and will take you towrds the Hauptbahnhof.
            The model railway (miniatur Wunderland) is a marvellous place to go. It has lots of fascinating details in the scenes, many of them animated. You would need a couple of hours there. It is very close to the cruise terminal. If you decide to visit it, book your slot online to avoid queues - you don't pay upfront. Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg - Modellbau Modelleisenbahn Hamburg
            There is not a lot of the old city.
            Enjoy your trip. The people there are very friendly.
            Mervyn
            Thanks Mervyn. We were under the impression that we would have to pay for the tickets upfront when reserving a slot. Not that it matters I suppose, as we intend to reserve tickets anyway.
            Jill

            Comment


              #7
              I've been looking at a FO cruise (yes, really!) for next year, overnight stop in Hamburg. One possible trip is Belsen.

              Comment


                #8
                If your going to use Public Transport, a one day Travel card E9.50, will give you access to both Bus & U Bahn plus there are discounts prices to many places of interest on showing the card..

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                  The Cunard website surely has info on the berth location and the distance to the "town" similar to that of P&O
                  Hi John, I've had a look through the Cunard website and couldn't find this information. However I've looked at the Hamburg cruise port website and we are due to berth at the Hafen City cruise terminal.

                  Many thanks for the information Mervyn. It looks as though I'm going to be spoilt for choice with current favourites being exploring the old town, the miniature railway or the aquarium. However as we are there from 3.30am until 11pm according to the cruise port schedule I may be able to get 2 things ticked off my list!
                  Cruising my way through life!

                  Sue

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Rustynails, Wimborne View Post
                    If your going to use Public Transport, a one day Travel card E9.50, will give you access to both Bus & U Bahn plus there are discounts prices to many places of interest on showing the card..
                    Thanks for that - it sounds like it might be just the ticket. Literally!!
                    Cruising my way through life!

                    Sue

                    Comment


                      #11
                      If we are there till 11pm I might be tempted to get the train to Lubeck, something else to ponder.....Carol

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                        If we are there till 11pm I might be tempted to get the train to Lubeck, something else to ponder.....Carol
                        That's according to the port rather than from Cunard. However I'm guessing that it will be a big turnaround for them as I believe the ship is inbound from a transatlantic and will be dropping off passengers and then picking up the next lot for another transatlantic crossing. It will probably be odd for us being on the ship throughout a turnaround day.
                        Cruising my way through life!

                        Sue

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
                          Hi John, I've had a look through the Cunard website and couldn't find this information. However I've looked at the Hamburg cruise port website and we are due to berth at the Hafen City cruise terminal.

                          Many thanks for the information Mervyn. It looks as though I'm going to be spoilt for choice with current favourites being exploring the old town, the miniature railway or the aquarium. However as we are there from 3.30am until 11pm according to the cruise port schedule I may be able to get 2 things ticked off my list!
                          I might just follow you around Sue. You always seem to track down some good places to go

                          I have seen that there is a HOHO bus, but the reviews said there was no English channel, so I don't think that will be much good. Although OH's German is quite good.............................................. ....................................Carol

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                            I might just follow you around Sue. You always seem to track down some good places to go

                            I have seen that there is a HOHO bus, but the reviews said there was no English channel, so I don't think that will be much good. Although OH's German is quite good.............................................. ....................................Carol
                            You'd be welcome to join us on our meanderings, Carol. It might be useful to have a German speaker in tow - I haven't spoken a word of German for over a decade now so I'm not sure how much vocabulary I have left. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks time!
                            Cruising my way through life!

                            Sue

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Hmm will have to wait and see then, but Lubeck is charming..Carol

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X