• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One way to do Hamburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One way to do Hamburg

Continuing my series of 'One way to do...' this thread covers the city of Hamburg, Germany.

My wife and I visited Hamburg when we made a port call while sailing on Cunard's Queen Victoria in January this year.

The ship berthed at the Altona Cruise Terminal...

...in the Hamburg district of the same name.

We availed ourselves of the complimentary shuttle bus service that dropped us a very short distance from Hamburg's famous Rathaus...

...which fortunately had been our pre-planned starting point for our day. Our companion for the day was the trusted Eyewitness Travel Guide for Hamburg, a comprehensive and trusted publication...

No visit to Hamburg would be complete without a visit to Binnenalster Lake...

...which boasts on its south bank the most famous of Germany's shopping Streets, Jungfernsteig...

The St Nikolai Memorial was our next destination. Heavily damaged during air raids in the Second World War. It was decided not to make a complete restoration but to allow the ruins of the original church to become a memorial to the tragic consequences of war...

The St. Nikolai Tower houses a glass panoramic lift which takes visitors up to the 76 metre high viewing platform. Another outstanding feature of the Tower is the 51 Bell Carillion which is played every Thursday at noon...

A short walk back along Ludwig Erhard Strasse is the Church of St Michaelis. Hamburg's most famous landmark...

The St. Michaelis Church boasts a 132 metre Tower and a viewing platform at 82 metres. Inside the church, above the main entrance, looms a 6,665 pipe Steinmeyer organ...

...the largest of three organs in the church.

St Michaelis Church has an organ recital and service around mid-day and this event features on cruise ship excursions. On our visit I chose to climb the Tower and visit the massive Crypt while my wife enjoyed the recital. On my descent from the viewing platform my timing coincided with the noon peel of St. Michaelis bells...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-T8rTCZ4Pw

The kind of view one can expect from the viewing platform of St. Michaelis Church...

A very short distance from St. Michaelis Church is the monument to the first German Chancellor, Otto von Bismark. A very impressive statue set in a small green park, the only disappointment was the graffiti that has been allowed to spoil it's appearance....

Found in the same Grosse Wallenlagen city centre park as the Bismark Statue, we came across this building...

...an old WWII Median bunker, now transformed into an accommodation block - impressive?

( http://www.battlefieldsww2.com/Remnants_from_world_war_II_in_Hamburg.html has a little history of the wartime bunker)

No doubt Hamburg will always conjure memories for many as being the home of both the Reeperbahn and the true birth place of 'The Beatles'. The Reeperbahn itself is now a pretty seedy place and the centre of Hamburg's sex industry...

...and also home of Germany's most famous police station...

The Beatles? Well they are still very much revered in The Reeperbahn, and a monument, of sorts, to their genius...

...sits at the end of the road that leads to the venue of their Hamburg days, The Indra Club...

The western end of the Reeperbahn is actually no great distance from the Altona Cruise Terminal and it turned out to be a very pleasant walk, past the Old Jewish Cemetery...

...on Konigstrasse, before dropping down onto the waterfront with its attractions such as...

The U434 Submarine Museum

and the St.Pauli Fishmarket

Hamburg is a great city to visit and I think I am safe in saying that we covered some ground in that one day. There were a number of other interesting places we saw as well as some we missed but they will be for another day.

We left the ship just after 8.00 am and returned around 4.30 having had a long but fabulous day.

I trust members and visitors have found this thread both interesting and of possible benefit.

Ahh Richard, if only I had read this last year when the Costa Cruise shuttle bus dropped us off at the city bus station. We turned right and ended up in a seedy red light area, populated by drunks and drug adicts throwing up and peeing in the local park and having sex on the monument steps. My 8 and 10 year olds were frightened to death, needless to say Hamburg was without doubt the worst place I've ever been to (and I've been to La Goulette)

Maybe next time I'll read a guidebook and not follow the crowd!

Comment

Hi Richard, your features on ports of call are EXCELLNT - keep up the good work!
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Thanks Richard, I will print this post off as I am determined to do Hamburg hopefully this year, very informative and the pictures are as usual great.CG
        sigpic

Comment

Another Great read Richard.

I've never been to Hamburg and you paint a very appealing picture of this port.

Perhaps one day I will get to wonder some of its historical sites.

I note that you never mentioned where you stopped for lunch!

Thanks once again.

Vinny
          sigpic

Comment

Ah! Memories. I was there in '66 for a week and would love to go back again before the reaper calls.

The Reeperbahn is exactly how I remember it, the signage is a ittle more garish and in your face than I recall, but the buildings are instantly recognisable.

I concur with Malcolm, your port features and photos Richard are second to none...........Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

Great post - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield View Post
                Another Great read Richard.

I've never been to Hamburg and you paint a very appealing picture of this port.

Perhaps one day I will get to wonder some of its historical sites.

I note that you never mentioned where you stopped for lunch!

Thanks once again.

Vinny
                'I note that you never mentioned where you stopped for lunch'!

With good reason Vinny.

We did what we intended and had Bratwurst on the hoof.

When in Rome and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                  Ah! Memories. I was there in '66 for a week and would love to go back again before the reaper calls.

The Reeperbahn is exactly how I remember it, the signage is a ittle more garish and in your face than I recall, but the buildings are instantly recognisable.

I concur with Malcolm, your port features and photos Richard are second to none...........Wilba
                  Thanks everybody. Kind of makes it all worthwhile.

Watch out for Buenos Aires, coming to a Forum near you soon.

Comment

Yes, brilliant. We are off next Jan and this was a fab info thread.
                    P&O Artemis/Oceana/Aurora/Azura/Britannia
                    RCI - Independence/Anthem/Ovation of the Seas
                    Celebrity Eclipse
                    Cunard QM2/QE/QV
                    Royal Princess/Caribbean Princess

Comment

A good read and took me back to our QM2 cruise incuding Hamburg a couple of years ago. The cruise to / from Soton picked up and dropped off at Hamburg before going to Norway. First day, the German embarkation, was during the Harbour festival. Very crowded but fascinating. Our own tour that day was very much as described here, with viewing of the festival on return to the riverside. The shuttle bus into town is worth having. On the second day, the German disembarkation about a week later, we decided to have a day out of town. Caught a train to Lubeck, a medieval town along the coast. Plenty to see - but it was cold in May. Doable if you research the train times. We got a taxi from the ship to Hamburg Station to ensure we were on time for an early train, but the driver was not happy - he was hoping for a German fare further afield on disembarkation, not a local run! He wanted to take us all the way to Lubeck which of course we refused. Although not a fluent speaker, my husband understood enough German to realise the driver had colourful language and assumed we did not understand! Nevertheless, this is a good guide to doing Hamburg if you have one day and there was plenty to see and do there. By the way, the shuttle drop, the Rathaus (town hall) is also near the main shopping drag. If you have done Hamburg and got the T shirt can also recommend Lubeck - a compact place and not too far.
                      Last edited by mags, cardiff; 16th January 2015, 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Our forum cruise is off to Hamburg in June.

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/109-c...th-2015-a.html
                        I saw a wonderful programme on the box a few weeks ago about the largest model railway in the world. I'm hoping to fit it into my schedule.

Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg - model building - model railway Hamburg

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                          Our forum cruise is off to Hamburg in June.

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/109-c...th-2015-a.html
                          I saw a wonderful programme on the box a few weeks ago about the largest model railway in the world. I'm hoping to fit it into my schedule.

Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg - model building - model railway Hamburg
                          I met a couple on our cruise earlier this month who had visited Hamburg recently and who thoroughly recommended the miniature railway. It's something I wouldn't even look at normally but they spoke so highly of it that I will be looking into it further.
                          Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

I have already pencilled in a visit to Miniatur Wonderland as it is rated highly on lots of websites. My OH found a wonderful bierkeller on our last visit so that is on his list....Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                              I have already pencilled in a visit to Miniatur Wonderland as it is rated highly on lots of websites. My OH found a wonderful bierkeller on our last visit so that is on his list....Carol
                              May I suggest a forum outing to visit the trains Carol and then a post train visit to the bierkeller for some liquid refreshment?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X