• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spitsbergen and North Cape Cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitsbergen and North Cape Cruise

Hi everyone, I am going on the above cruise next month and would like to have feedback from anyone who has cruised this area. Some of the ports calling at are: Trondheim,Leknes,Honningsvag, Alesund,Lonyearbyen,Tromso, Bergen. I prefer to do my own thing,rather than ships excursions which are usually very pricey. As I am a Geocacher I am happy to walk around the ports looking for caches that are within reaching distance for the time we are docked. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Hello Cruiser 33.Welcome aboard!
    I love this itinerary you are doing, it is just fantastic in every way. I did it on the dear old QE2 in 2008. It was amazing seeing all the wonderful scenery. We did not do any organised tours but we just did our own thing. Walked a lot and in Tromso ( fab place) we went on the funicular and also took a bus to the Arctic Cathedral ( a must do for anyone) and then we walked back across the long bridge.
    Norway is easy to get around on your own. Spitzbergen is very bleak but quit spectacular. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Comment

Spitsbergen and North Cape

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
      Hello Cruiser 33.Welcome aboard!
      I love this itinerary you are doing, it is just fantastic in every way. I did it on the dear old QE2 in 2008. It was amazing seeing all the wonderful scenery. We did not do any organised tours but we just did our own thing. Walked a lot and in Tromso ( fab place) we went on the funicular and also took a bus to the Arctic Cathedral ( a must do for anyone) and then we walked back across the long bridge.
      Norway is easy to get around on your own. Spitzbergen is very bleak but quit spectacular. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
      Hi Maggiemou, Thanks for answering my enquiry. I shall take on board what you say about Tromso etc. When you got the bus did you have to prepay for the tickets at a newsagent or do you just pay on board? Is it possible to walk directly to the Artic Cathedral from where the ship docks? Did you manage to see much wildlife when you went on the cruise? I am glad you had a great time and it makes me look forward to my cruise even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser33, London View Post
        Hi Maggiemou, Thanks for answering my enquiry. I shall take on board what you say about Tromso etc. When you got the bus did you have to prepay for the tickets at a newsagent or do you just pay on board? Is it possible to walk directly to the Artic Cathedral from where the ship docks? Did you manage to see much wildlife when you went on the cruise? I am glad you had a great time and it makes me look forward to my cruise even more.
        Apparently you can catch the bus to the cablecar from Tromso town centre, it is a long walk otherwise. They also sell a combined bus/cable car return ticket aboard the bus. It might be the number 26 to Tromsdalen, catch it as the F3 stop in Frederik Langesgate?

Comment

Spitsbergen and North Cape

Originally posted by davecttr, gillingham View Post
          Apparently you can catch the bus to the cablecar from Tromso town centre, it is a long walk otherwise. They also sell a combined bus/cable car return ticket aboard the bus. It might be the number 26 to Tromsdalen, catch it as the F3 stop in Frederik Langesgatei?
          Thanks for that information it will be very helpful to enable me to plan my time in Tromso.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X