• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Titanic Belfast opens this week end!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomvet, limerick, roi
    started a topic Titanic Belfast opens this week end!

Titanic Belfast opens up today!

I have to say I am so glad the H&W cranes Samson and Goliath have been listed - they are such a part of the Belfast skyline!

Those on the FO cruise to Belfast on April 3rd now have one more thing to see during their 13 hour port of call!

Don't forget to call around to see the Salmon, Nuala with the Hoola, The murals and peace line, Divis tower, Opera House, Europa Hotel, Crown Liquor Saloon!

Never visited BFS on a cruise ship but it is one of my favourite cities of the B Isles!

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
    I do not believe that this Museum takes anything away from Southampton association with Titanic. Southampton always has had and always will have a big link with Titanic. The Titanic also had a big link with Belfast and if this ediface can not only uphold that link but facilitate an improvement throughout the whole of Northern Ireland then we should welcome it and wish that its future is bright. .....Neil
    I will second that well said Neil....Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    I do not believe that this Museum takes anything away from Southampton association with Titanic. Southampton always has had and always will have a big link with Titanic. The Titanic also had a big link with Belfast and if this ediface can not only uphold that link but facilitate an improvement throughout the whole of Northern Ireland then we should welcome it and wish that its future is bright. .....Neil

Leave a comment:

• JVS, Cuddington
    replied
    I think remembering the lost from the tragedy is much better than just forgetting them. I look forward to visiting the museum and the rest of the six counties this summer. I spent a few days there in 2002 and was totally knocked out by the scenery.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by parthianlad, birkenhead View Post
    Does anyone else like me, think that the whole "Titanic" saga has run its course. Yes it was a tragedy of epic proportions, but there have been other equally tragic losses at sea, the "Empress of Ireland" and the "Wilhelm Gustloff" to name but two, but little has been written about either, and certainly no films have been screened. The "Titanic" in essence became a grave for over 1500 souls and as such should be respected, Bob Ballard has said in the past that he regretted ever disclosing her location because the wreck has just been plundered by unscrupulous people trying to make a fast buck, imagine the outcry if the wreck of HMS "Royal Oak " in Scapa Flow was to treated in a similar manner. I know many people will disagree with me, but this is something I feel quite strongly about.
    I agree with you - you are not alone.

I think the film was successful because Leonardo DiCaprio was one of the leads.

JMHO - w/o the film, I don't think there would be any interest.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• parthianlad, birkenhead
    replied
    Does anyone else like me, think that the whole "Titanic" saga has run its course. Yes it was a tragedy of epic proportions, but there have been other equally tragic losses at sea, the "Empress of Ireland" and the "Wilhelm Gustloff" to name but two, but little has been written about either, and certainly no films have been screened. The "Titanic" in essence became a grave for over 1500 souls and as such should be respected, Bob Ballard has said in the past that he regretted ever disclosing her location because the wreck has just been plundered by unscrupulous people trying to make a fast buck, imagine the outcry if the wreck of HMS "Royal Oak " in Scapa Flow was to treated in a similar manner. I know many people will disagree with me, but this is something I feel quite strongly about.

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
    I am not so sure, nearly all of the crew came from Southampton & 546 of those killed ( a third) had Southampton postal addresses.
    Hi Lizzi
    You should be able to watch Len Goodmans Titanic story on the BBC I Player that did say that very few streets in Southampton did not lose someone ,worth watching some very sad fact emerged .But Belfast was where it all started.
    Titanic is the most famous ship in the world better known than Noahs Ark....Taffy

Leave a comment:

• PaulEFC, Pershore
    replied
    Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
    I am not so sure, nearly all of the crew came from Southampton & 546 of those killed ( a third) had Southampton postal addresses.
    I was born in Southampton and lived half of my life there. Stories and memories of the Titanic are very strong there,

Leave a comment:

• cruisegas, cruisegas
    replied
    Stunning photo and design, the website is very informative, flying in for a weekend visit in May, just sad that I'm not sailing in or out on this occasion (hey ho)

My late father worked for Harland & Wolff, we spent many a happy time in school holidays traversing the Irish Sea to and from Liverpool, always seemed more adventurous when the sea got a bit lively!

Leave a comment:

• Bookgirl, Fife (2)
    replied
    Now Annie, that it not what I said or even implied.

I am extremely hopeful that this will help and could be a major item in solving the resolution. None of us are so naive that we see things changing overnight, as I said earlier, but this could be very helpful towards that aim and the more visitors attracted to NI must surely be beneficial too.

I am sure that the majority of people here and there would like to see the change in attitude, which has started by the way, helped on its way.

Was that question “You are not of Irish stock are you? rhetorical? I assume it was and if it was it was not appreciated. ......Neil
    I visited Belfast as part of a fly/drive holiday in 2008 and we did a tour of the city, included was the Titanic Quarter and they were just about to start building this, so it has been many years in the planning. We also visited the divided areas of the city and the guide commented on the 'dark, dark days of the troubles' many times. Locals were very happy to see us visit and spoke about and knew it would take time for change and also to persuade visitors from mainland UK to visit after nearly 40 years of unpleasant, horrific and sad news broadcasts into their living rooms.

Sadly there are people who do not agree and will use very unpleasant means to put their point across.

We really liked NI and her people, so much so in 2009, going down to the Republic of Ireland, we added a few extra days in NI as we travelled by ferry from Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Just because you don't assume, that doesn't make it the obligatory option.

Sometimes assumption is the best option .....Neil
    Neil

An obligatory option?

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Originally posted by tomvet, limerick, roi View Post
    Of all the Titanic cities - Liverpool, Soton, Cherbourg, Cobh, NY and Halifax(??) - I think Belfast is most qualified to claim to be the Titanic City.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Neil

You should never ass-u-me ; I don't.

Annie
    Just because you don't assume, that doesn't make it the obligatory option.

Sometimes assumption is the best option .....Neil

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Now Annie, that it not what I said or even implied.

I am extremely hopeful that this will help and could be a major item in solving the resolution. None of us are so naive that we see things changing overnight, as I said earlier, but this could be very helpful towards that aim and the more visitors attracted to NI must surely be beneficial too.

I am sure that the majority of people here and there would like to see the change in attitude, which has started by the way, helped on its way.

Was that question “You are not of Irish stock are you? rhetorical? I assume it was and if it was it was not appreciated. ......Neil
    Neil

You should never ass-u-me ; I don't.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• PM, SW
    replied
    Originally posted by tomvet, limerick, roi View Post
    Originally posted by PM, SW View Post
    Its called "profiling" and if the cap fits! Personally, I am glad they scrutinise operations carefully, as the alternative is unthinkable. Put up with it, better still, get with the programme.
    PM
    the statement referred to change in attitudes - your so called 'profiling' well that has not changed to reflect the times we now live in. So as people try to move on the UK airport police actions always serve to remind us of the past!

The alternative! Don't think much of an alternative was sought when it came to convicting the Guilford 4 and Birmingham 6 - what happened to them was more than just 'unthinkable' it was real and very real! They must have fitted in very well with the profile!
    You fight fire with fire!
    I'm not going to give you more opportunities to air your anti Brit views Thomas.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X