• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Titanic Belfast opens this week end!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titanic Belfast opens this week end!

Titanic Belfast opens up today!

I have to say I am so glad the H&W cranes Samson and Goliath have been listed - they are such a part of the Belfast skyline!

Those on the FO cruise to Belfast on April 3rd now have one more thing to see during their 13 hour port of call!

Don't forget to call around to see the Salmon, Nuala with the Hoola, The murals and peace line, Divis tower, Opera House, Europa Hotel, Crown Liquor Saloon!

Never visited BFS on a cruise ship but it is one of my favourite cities of the B Isles!

Looks impressive!
    The blurb:

"The £97m flagship building, which is opening to coincide with centenary commemorations of the ship's sinking, was six years in the planning and took three years to build."

The question that needs to be asked; Is it worth spending £97M on such a venture in the current financial climate?

PM
    CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Comment

I'm sure that, like the Olympics, it was planned, and finance set aside, long before the present crisis loomed its ugly head. If it's going to bring in loads of well-heeled American tourists it can only be a good thing, surely.
      The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
      T Pratchett.

Comment

I think its definitely worth it! Anyhing that draws in the tourist dollar!

Comment

I suspect I am probably alone - I have never seen the complete movie Titanic and I have zero interest in visiting the exhibition.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by tomvet, limerick, roi View Post
            Titanic Belfast opens up today!

I have to say I am so glad the H&W cranes Samson and Goliath have been listed - they are such a part of the Belfast skyline!

Those on the FO cruise to Belfast on April 3rd now have one more thing to see during their 13 hour port of call!

Don't forget to call around to see the Salmon, Nuala with the Hoola, The murals and peace line, Divis tower, Opera House, Europa Hotel, Crown Liquor Saloon!

Never visited BFS on a cruise ship but it is one of my favourite cities of the B Isles!
            Has been on the news today and looks very impressive. I have to say that hubby has seen that there is a car rally on in Belfast when we are docked next Friday and as he used to own a rally car, he has more interest in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Trish, sudbury View Post
              Has been on the news today and looks very impressive. I have to say that hubby has seen that there is a car rally on in Belfast when we are docked next Friday and as he used to own a rally car, he has more interest in this.
              let him off to his cars and you do the touristy things and shopping!

Comment

Originally posted by PM, SW View Post
                Looks impressive!
                The blurb:

"The £97m flagship building, which is opening to coincide with centenary commemorations of the ship's sinking, was six years in the planning and took three years to build."

The question that needs to be asked; Is it worth spending £97M on such a venture in the current financial climate?

PM
                This Museum has partially made me change some of my views on the strange and I believed morbid attraction for Titanic.

I really hope that this, as many Belfast residents have proclaimed, could be a catalyst towards the start of a new Belfast. It would seem to proclaim that a new era is about to start and that this particular attraction could bring huge numbers of tourists and interested parties to Northern Ireland. It could unite people and provide revenue which will allow a different atmosphere to grow and become a real blessing to Northern Ireland and the people living there.

This building has already shown that it can attract crowds and bookings and I so sincerely hope that it has a long future. ....Neil

Comment

Of all the Titanic cities - Liverpool, Soton, Cherbourg, Cobh, NY and Halifax(??) - I think Belfast is most qualified to claim to be the Titanic City.

Neil, I don't think the Titanic Museum will be the catalyst to solving NI once and or all. There is still a lot of hatred and the biggest problem is that school kids still go to their respective religious schools so there is segregation from the begining and kids only come together at third level and this is too late!

Comment

Originally posted by tomvet, limerick, roi View Post
                    Of all the Titanic cities - Liverpool, Soton, Cherbourg, Cobh, NY and Halifax(??) - I think Belfast is most qualified to claim to be the Titanic City.

Neil, I don't think the Titanic Museum will be the catalyst to solving NI once and or all. There is still a lot of hatred and the biggest problem is that school kids still go to their respective religious schools so there is segregation from the begining and kids only come together at third level and this is too late!
                    I do hope that on the whole there is more optimism around than you seem to be showing. There has been a start to a better climate in NI and I would hope Eire and nothing will happen overnight but we have to hope and believe that things are going to be better otherwise the future would look bleak ....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      I do hope that on the whole there is more optimism around than you seem to be showing. There has been a start to a better climate in NI and I would hope Eire and nothing will happen overnight but we have to hope and believe that things are going to be better otherwise the future would look bleak ....Neil
                      Things started to get better once the Republic voted to remove its constitutional claim on the 6 counties!

I spoke to a QUB professor at a dinner in the Royal College of Physicians on Monday night who happens to be in a mixed marriage and he is my authority re: segregation of school kids, that hatred still remains and that to quote 'it will take generations to wash the stains completely clean'.

I am hopeful but money has been a great promoter of healing! Doesn't it everywhere!

Comment

Neil

How long has the 'Irish question' existed and you really think the Titanic exhibition will resolve it? You are not of Irish stock are you?

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                          Neil

How long has the 'Irish question' existed and you really think the Titanic exhibition will resolve it? You are not of Irish stock are you?

Annie
                          Now Annie, that it not what I said or even implied.

I am extremely hopeful that this will help and could be a major item in solving the resolution. None of us are so naive that we see things changing overnight, as I said earlier, but this could be very helpful towards that aim and the more visitors attracted to NI must surely be beneficial too.

I am sure that the majority of people here and there would like to see the change in attitude, which has started by the way, helped on its way.

Was that question “You are not of Irish stock are you? rhetorical? I assume it was and if it was it was not appreciated. ......Neil

Comment

Hi Annie,
                            Rhetorical or not...........
                            The Irish question originates back in the 12th Century, long before the Titanic was ever thought of...............

PM
                            CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
                            OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
                            VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
                            VENTURA Feb 2014

Comment

Now Annie, that it not what I said or even implied.

I am extremely hopeful that this will help and could be a major item in solving the resolution. None of us are so naive that we see things changing overnight, as I said earlier, but this could be very helpful towards that aim and the more visitors attracted to NI must surely be beneficial too.

I am sure that the majority of people here and there would like to see the change in attitude, which has started by the way, helped on its way.

Was that question “You are not of Irish stock are you? rhetorical? I assume it was and if it was it was not appreciated. ......Neil
                              And here also! However, as long as UK airport police keep hassling solo male travellers going through its airports reconciliation will be difficult.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X